Post-spring Big Ten Power Rankings

Rivals recruiting rankings for Minnesota:

2011 - 52nd

2012 - 73rd

2013 - 61st

2014 - 52nd

2015 - 52nd

Could they win the B1G West this year? Possibly, especially with coaching changes at NU and Wisky. Kill and his staff are good coaches. But with recruiting rankings like these 8 or 9 wins will probably be the ceiling.

That is probably just as "good" as most of the teams in the west, besides NU and Wisky?

They were one game away from playing for the Big 10 championship last year. If they had a really good QB they'd have a chance to make that jump this year or the next imo but alas they don't. Their defense is strong though. To me success breeds success and Kill has done an amazing job since he's got there. We play at Minnesota this year and imo it's a tossup of who wins that one.

Bolded could be said for most top 40 teams.

This is so true, the QB is almost always the key to a championship run. Not to many teams have won a national title without a difference maker at QB. I know some would say that Alabama has done it, but don't be fooled. All of their QB's are highly recruited 4-5 star guys that play very well within their system. I expect Oregon to drop off to being just good this year.

If you look at Kills track record, and what he is building, i think the Goofs will be better than last year.

That being said, I think 8 wins or 9 wins is the best they can muster and the goofer fans would be tickled with that.

There non-con wont be easy with TCU but after that, they have 5 wins most likely before they host the 'skers. I think Nebraska will finally win, and MN is 5-2. There next 5 features Wiscy and Ohio State. I think they lose to TOSU but beat Wiscy. 9-3 for the goofs at best, but they have a track record of pissing an easy win down there leg(iowa or Michigan fit this mold).

I still say 8-4, they dont go to conf. champ and then win a bowl game-- finish 9-4.

Rivals recruiting rankings for Minnesota:

2011 - 52nd

2012 - 73rd

2013 - 61st

2014 - 52nd

2015 - 52nd

Could they win the B1G West this year? Possibly, especially with coaching changes at NU and Wisky. Kill and his staff are good coaches. But with recruiting rankings like these 8 or 9 wins will probably be the ceiling.

That is probably just as "good" as most of the teams in the west, besides NU and Wisky?

Iowa has to recruit better than that? Right?

They were one game away from playing for the Big 10 championship last year. If they had a really good QB they'd have a chance to make that jump this year or the next imo but alas they don't. Their defense is strong though. To me success breeds success and Kill has done an amazing job since he's got there. We play at Minnesota this year and imo it's a tossup of who wins that one.

Bolded could be said for most top 40 teams.

Minnesota has a strong defense and Kill already has one Big 10 Coach of the Year award under his belt. Even though a good QB can make a huge difference it takes much more than just having one good player to make a football team truly good/great.

It really just takes the right guys at the right time. The players under Kill are all his guys. The West is wide open. If they were going to strike, this would be the year to do it.

He's only been a coach for 4 years. I wouldn't say that this is his only year to strike. Just saying. The West will probably be wide open next year too. I don't see any of those teams primed for serious improvement. In the short term at least.

It really just takes the right guys at the right time. The players under Kill are all his guys. The West is wide open. If they were going to strike, this would be the year to do it.

He's only been a coach for 4 years. I wouldn't say that this is his only year to strike. Just saying. The West will probably be wide open next year too. I don't see any of those teams primed for serious improvement. In the short term at least.

This year provides the best opportunity for them to make a statement. The two biggest threats in the division have new head coaches. All Minnesotas players were recruited by Kill.

Next year I assume they lose a bit defensively, so that could hurt. Also next year Nebraska and Wisconsin should be more stable so the division will tighten up a bit.

Kill is a good coach, but if Minny is ever gonna win a division crown under him, this would be the year.

This year provides the best opportunity for them to make a statement. The two biggest threats in the division have new head coaches. All Minnesotas players were recruited by Kill.

Next year I assume they lose a bit defensively, so that could hurt. Also next year Nebraska and Wisconsin should be more stable so the division will tighten up a bit.

Kill is a good coach, but if Minny is ever gonna win a division crown under him, this would be the year.

I disagree that if it's any year it's 'this year'. You have to give Kill some credit. He's only been there 4 years and he's a good coach and he has a good staff and the kids have totally bought into his system and they love the guy. As for them losing players Nebraska and Wisconsin will lose players next year also. That's just normal attrition for any college team. If anything Nebraska and Wisconsin both have new head coaches with a lot to prove and it's going to take more than 2 seasons for those results to fully show themselves. Furthermore for the time being both coaches will be dealing with players who their predecessors recruited so they are both teams currently in transition. The West is going to be wide open for at least the next several seasons if not longer.