20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just how rare is intelligent life in the universe?
19 August 2014 by Stuart Clark
In 2000, Peter Ward and Donald Brownlee argued in Rare Earth that intelligent life on Earth relied on so many unlikely accidents that we are probably alone in the universe. This is a step too far for Scharf, and rather like saying that a spectator at a baseball game lucky enough to catch a ball must therefore be alone in the stadium.

As a Christian, this is a topic I am interested in. Are we alone in the universe? Is our universe the only universe? Do other universes, if any, have the same time-space relationships as ours? Could a galaxy really be fastened on the collar of a house cat? These are the sort of questions I think about while I'm mowing the lawn. :lol:

Edit: My poll question should have said "How many other planets... . But you get the gist. lol

• Fire 2

I kind of flip-flop on this issue. Since I'm a Christian I believe God made angels. (Also, I don't think angels look like this: LINK. I'm thinking they look more like this: LINK lol) So anyway, that means there is definitely one other form of intelligent life out there (according to my beliefs). And if there are angels, then why not more forms of life? The bible is full of messages stating that what God does with his creation is His business, not ours. If he wanted to create a hundred million other solar systems teaming with life, and not tell us about them, well I guess that would be up to Him.

I completely believe there is intelligent life out there. Probably far superior to us. This world and human life is too amazing in itself, in my mind it can't possibly be the only place like it out there. The universe is probably full of other places similar in existence, we just won't ever know it. I don't think we will ever truly know how big the universe is.

I voted millionty billionty trillionty because I've never heard that before, but it sounds like a lot.

Somewhere very far away I would assume there is some sort of life.

I know it is very unique for a planet like earth t be close enough to the sun and yet far enough, so I assume it isnt a lot of planets, but the universe is so massive i would be shocked if there wasnt some sort of life... doubt it is anything like here, but who truly knows.

I am not all that concerned.. Doubt it is anything we will deal with in our life time.

I know it is very unique for a planet like earth t be close enough to the sun and yet far enough, so I assume it isnt a lot of planets, but the universe is so massive i would be shocked if there wasnt some sort of life... doubt it is anything like here, but who truly knows.

Sure, the earth is perfect for life as we know it. But maybe there are other forms of life. Not carbon based flesh life, but, I dunno, polypropylene quadripeds with Kool-aid blood. Or maybe a race of brain balls...

225px-Big_brain.png

Seriously though, maybe there are other forms of life that bear little resemblance to life as we know it on earth. :lol:

Sure, the earth is perfect for life as we know it. But maybe there are other forms of life. Not carbon based flesh life, but, I dunno, polypropylene quadripeds with Kool-aid blood. Or maybe a race of brain balls...

225px-Big_brain.png

Glad i didnt read that before bed, or i would have had some wicked nightmares.