2015 Opponent Previews: BYU

SBNation: BYU's basically a power program, but 2015's schedule would challenge anybody.

The small details sometimes mean the most. In the last nine seasons, BYU has gone 22-22 against teams that are currently in power conferences. The Cougars have boasted an F/+ ranking in the top 55 in all nine of those seasons and have ranked in the top 30 five times.

Since leaving the Mountain West before the 2011 season, they have pounded Texas (twice) and beaten Georgia Tech (twice), Ole Miss, Oregon State, California, Washington State, and Virginia, plus mid-major powers Boise State, UCF, and Utah State (three times).

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/5/7/8547421/byu-football-2015-preview-schedule-roster

Athlon Sports: BYU

Bronco Mendenhall enters his 11th season in Provo with some renewed excitement. That’s because BYU welcomes back Heisman candidate and superstar athlete Taysom Hill. The Cougars' schedule is much more difficult this fall as compared to last season, but getting Hill back could more than compensate for the increased difficulty.

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/top-25/byu-cougars-2015-preview-and-prediction#sthash.V9nhG7vT.dpuf

Scout.com: BYU

At what point does BYU simply become bored?

Being a part of the Mountain West again would seem like a step back, regressing to the Group of 5 while other programs on the same level are off doing fun things in the Power 5s. Meanwhile, it’s hard to pass up the money and the autonomy of being an independent, getting to put together interesting schedules and making lots and lots of money along the way.

Independent for the last three seasons, things have worked out okay. BYU has had some laughs, killed some time, and it’s going through life playing college football, but for what?

What fun is going through the exercise with no carrot at the end of the stick? BYU as to go at least 11-1 and hope to get the Notre Dame-like benefit of the playoff doubt, so with no conference championship to play for, one loss makes it tough to shoot for the stars, and two losses means the season is effectively over.

BYU already knows it’s going to play in either the Royal Purple Las Vegas this year or the Hawaii Bowl, and the one it doesn’t play in this season, that’s the one it’s going to go to in 2019. Worse yet, it’s not like the team is really earning its way there by winning any sort of title – those are simply the contracted bowls.

Yippee.

http://cfn.scout.com/2/1550615.html

More to come...

• Fire 1

This is impressive. Does Nebraska have a similiar list of fairly well off teams?

Since leaving the Mountain West before the 2011 season, they have pounded Texas (twice) and beaten Georgia Tech (twice), Ole Miss, Oregon State, California, Washington State, and Virginia, plus mid-major powers Boise State, UCF, and Utah State (three times).

• 2 weeks later...

I want to say first that the Huskers (or us as fans) should not look for a competitive advantage in this game from the potential suspensions that will result from the situation during their bowl game last year. As a true competitor, you should always want the best from your opponent. Also, BYU will likely stagger the suspension across several games to not limit their preparedness and will not make individual suspensions known until just before the game (in some case, on game day).

With that said, one of the suspensions that will likely occur with be their starting center. Behind him are two walk-ons with little or no game experience. BYU may have a good offense this year, but if the center suspension occurs for the Nebraska game, watch out! VV and Collins will be feasting in the backfield with this new aggressive defense Banker is implementing.

I want to say first that the Huskers (or us as fans) should not look for a competitive advantage in this game from the potential suspensions that will result from the situation during their bowl game last year. As a true competitor, you should always want the best from your opponent. Also, BYU will likely stagger the suspension across several games to not limit their preparedness and will not make individual suspensions known until just before the game (in some case, on game day).

With that said, one of the suspensions that will likely occur with be their starting center. Behind him are two walk-ons with little or no game experience. BYU may have a good offense this year, but if the center suspension occurs for the Nebraska game, watch out! VV and Collins will be feasting in the backfield with this new aggressive defense Banker is implementing.

As a guy who has coached for a long time, I love when a team we are playing is short-handed. It is not my job to make sure the other team has all their players.

Its like a job interview...I don't want more competition for the position.

I wouldn't expect our C Tejan Koroma to be suspended in this game since he didn't really take part in the brawl much except to push off the agressor who started it all (the Memphis players were looking to start a brawl). Anyways, this should be a fun game and hopefully we'll get a return game in the future in Provo. Glad to see that y'all aren't arrogant and understimating us like Texas fans, lol.

Underestimate?

Most of us hope for a return to glory and championships. But that is tempered by the recent miracle comeback wins that should have been huge Husker wins in most of our minds. Last year we nearly had our own version of the App State/Michigan game.

And BYU has been (in my mind anyway) a P5 team for decades. That the Cougars haven't landed in a major conference (yet) has more to do with location and religion than football acumen.

I will be very satisfied if we win this game at all, even if it is a squeak of the teeth win. I also won't be surprised with a loss. Or a blowout in either direction. Our new coach is starting with a stick of dynamite for sure.

Most intriguing home opener since????

Looking back through the schedules I'd say it's a similar game to #24 West Virginia clear back in 1994. Except in '94 we had the best team in the nation. This year it'll be a closer matchup. ESPN has us pegged at #41 and BYU at #45.