Shatel: Excelling at basics is job one for '15

zoogs

Undertone? Just like the undertone of the 7 wins thing that almost nobody said.

You couldn't be further from the truth. Not only does the win/loss record matter, but it will be all that matters to about 75% of this fan base by the end of the season.

It won't matter how good we look, how much improved we are and how many of the reoccurring issues have been cleaned up. Most will look at Riley's win/loss record in his first year at Nebraska and see it as an indication of the level of coach he is. And that's a damn shame if it doesn't hit that 9-11 win mark that most of you have set as your "expectation" for the new staff and team.

Nobody is giving the staff a free pass like you and a few others keep saying.

I've seen one guy use the word leeway, but I think most of that was based on the fact that its a new staff in their first year with a new team, in a new conference they're not familiar with.

Not even one game in and so many people have all these expectations. Entitled bunch of brats. Let the guy coach maybe one game, or let's see how the team looks halfway through the year. Does it look like they're coming together, having fun and playing good football? I'll be happy because I know with all those things, the wins eventually take care of themselves.

I think Riley would disagree with you. He has high expectations. He came here because of his and the schools high expectations. I guess I don't look at high expectations as a negative. In fact, I am very thankful that Riley and the school have very high expectations.

Also, can we stop pretending like Riley has not coached one game yet (I get he has not coached at NU) but heck...even his very first game is vs a school he has played a few times.

Sure, our record will matter. I can't think of a single Michigan State fan who was happy when the Spartans went 7-6 in 2012, even though 5 of those losses were by a combined 13 points. Michigan State followed that season by going 13-1 and winning the Big Ten and Rose Bowl in 2013; the Spartans went 11-2 (only losses to Oregon and Ohio State) and won the Cotton Bowl in 2014.

Close losses, such as the losses endured by MSU in 2012 are just as likely a result of bad luck as bad coaching. There's no way you attribute 52-17, 62-28, 31-10, 48-17, 45-17, 30-13, 63-38, 70-31, 41-21, 38-17, and 59-24 losses to bad luck. That's bad coaching and, after consistent multi-blowout seasons, there's no sign that that was going to change.

I will gladly take a season similar to Michigan State's 2012 season if it produces what Michigan State has experienced the following 2 seasons.

• Fire 6

Um...

Whats the Huskers record? I dont know. And, frankly, dont care.

Then what do you call that?

Is that the same thing as giving the team a free pass? I don't know, you tell me. He talks the whole article about expecting improvement on fundamentals, technique, and overall quality of football. Doesn't sound like a free pass to me? Just sounds like he's more focused on quality of football over quantity of wins in this first season, but you can and will make whatever you want out of one sentence in an article, instead of hearing the point of the article as a whole. It is you're right to do so and from your stance on things, I'm not surprised that you did.

Bo's gone folks. He ain't comin' back, and soon I think you'll be glad of that, just not soon enough.

Sure, our record will matter. I can't think of a single Michigan State fan who was happy when the Spartans went 7-6 in 2012, even though 5 of those losses were by a combined 13 points. Michigan State followed that season by going 13-1 and winning the Big Ten and Rose Bowl in 2013; the Spartans went 11-2 (only losses to Oregon and Ohio State) and won the Cotton Bowl in 2014.

Close losses, such as the losses endured by MSU in 2012 are just as likely a result of bad luck as bad coaching. There's no way you attribute 52-17, 62-28, 31-10, 48-17, 45-17, 30-13, 63-38, 70-31, 41-21, 38-17, and 59-24 losses to bad luck. That's bad coaching and, after consistent multi-blowout seasons, there's no sign that that was going to change.

I will gladly take a season similar to Michigan State's 2012 season if it produces what Michigan State has experienced the following 2 seasons.

There seems to be a severe issue distinguishing the difference between year one expectations and overall expectations in the future.

• Fire 1

You couldn't be further from the truth. Not only does the win/loss record matter, but it will be all that matters to about 75% of this fan base by the end of the season.

It won't matter how good we look, how much improved we are and how many of the reoccurring issues have been cleaned up. Most will look at Riley's win/loss record in his first year at Nebraska and see it as an indication of the level of coach he is. And that's a damn shame if it doesn't hit that 9-11 win mark that most of you have set as your "expectation" for the new staff and team.

I've seen one guy use the word leeway, but I think most of that was based on the fact that its a new staff in their first year with a new team, in a new conference they're not familiar with.

Not even one game in and so many people have all these expectations. Entitled bunch of brats. Let the guy coach maybe one game, or let's see how the team looks halfway through the year. Does it look like they're coming together, having fun and playing good football? I'll be happy because I know with all those things, the wins eventually take care of themselves.

I think Riley would disagree with you. He has high expectations. He came here because of his and the schools high expectations. I guess I don't look at high expectations as a negative. In fact, I am very thankful that Riley and the school have very high expectations.

You must not have listened to some of the interview Riley's done, or the interview that is literally attached directly to this article that is the basis of this thread. Riley sounds very much like a man who understands the challenges ahead of him. He embraces the expectations of Nebraska and their fans because one, he doesn't really have a choice, and two, no competitor runs from a challenge. He's in this to take those challenges head on but don't think for a second he doesn't appreciate the magnitude of the challenges he's facing.

Just listen to the interview, I'll try and find a few tidbits to illustrate the point a little bit.

There seems to be a severe issue distinguishing the difference between year one expectations and overall expectations in the future.

So the guy you frequently mention.....we'll call him Bo......"transitioned" a 5 win team to a 9 win team. Urban Meyer went undefeated in his "transition" at Ohio State. So how exactly are Riley's year one expectations anything below 9 wins and no blowout losses?

Um...

What’s the Huskers’ record? I don’t know. And, frankly, don’t care.

Then what do you call that?

Is that the same thing as giving the team a free pass? I don't know, you tell me. He talks the whole article about expecting improvement on fundamentals, technique, and overall quality of football. Doesn't sound like a free pass to me? Just sounds like he's more focused on quality of football over quantity of wins in this first season, but you can and will make whether you want out of one sentence in an article instead of hearing the poi t of the article as awhile. It is you're right to do so and from your stance on things, I'm not surprised that you did.

Bo's gone folks. He ain't comin' back, and soon I think you'll be glad of that, just not soon enough.

First, you can quit with the Bo lover fallacy. Just because people aren't 100% drinking the Kool-aid doesn't mean they want Bo back. It weakens your argument.

Second, this isn't a rebuilding job (or season) and any expectation or approval of such is in fact, a "free pass" for the season. I expect the offense to be top 20 offense (if TCU can bring in a new OC and jump 101 spots, we can stay top 20), and the defense to be top 40 (goodbye Bo). With this schedule, I think 10 regular season wins and a trip to the CCG should be in order.

You must not have listened to some of the interview Riley's done, or the interview that is literally attached directly to this article that is the basis of this thread. Riley sounds very much like a man who understands the challenges ahead of him. He embraces the expectations of Nebraska and their fans because one, he doesn't really have a choice, and two, no competitor runs from a challenge. He's in this to take those challenges head on but don't think for a second he doesn't appreciate the magnitude of the changes he's bringing with him.

Just listen to the interview, I'll try and find a few tidbits to illustrate the point a little bit.

That is exactly what I said. That Riley has very high expectations. That is why he came here.

Exactly. Some people act like if we win only 9 games this year we are supposed to get out the pitchforks and torches.
  • Fire 1

Second, this isn't a rebuilding job (or season) and any expectation or approval of such is in fact, a "free pass" for the season. I expect the offense to be top 20 offense (if TCU can bring in a new OC and jump 101 spots, we can stay top 20), and the defense to be top 40 (goodbye Bo). With this schedule, I think 10 regular season wins and a trip to the CCG should be in order.

I can begrudge people any sort of expectations for Year 1 -- such things are generally all over the map.

I suppose the difference is in meaning. What does it mean for a Year 1 coach to see his inaugural season go not quite as swimmingly as expected? Is that the same as a coach falling short yet again in Year 7 with program culture and personnel that are, in every way possible and having reaffirmed them many times, fully his own? Of course not.

Probably the only thing we're getting caught up on. I'm sure you guys who would be disappointed if we don't make a CCG are as unreasonable as sometimes thought.

Last year was last year. We're starting over in Lincoln.

So the guy you frequently mention.....we'll call him Bo......"transitioned" a 5 win team to a 9 win team. Urban Meyer went undefeated in his "transition" at Ohio State. So how exactly are Riley's year one expectations anything below 9 wins and no blowout losses?

Isn't that what most of us expect? I mean I grant you thAt he wouldn't get fired in one year even if the season is a disaster, but I think especially with our schedule we expect to see at least a similar record and hopefully some visual improvement somewhere, though many are cautious as to how much improvement and how exactly that is measured, but I don't think there is anyone ok with fewer wins, not at nebraska

Isn't that what most of us expect? I mean I grant you thAt he wouldn't get fired in one year even if the season is a disaster, but I think especially with our schedule we expect to see at least a similar record and hopefully some visual improvement somewhere, though many are cautious as to how much improvement and how exactly that is measured, but I don't think there is anyone ok with fewer wins, not at nebraska

I would think so and agree.

Exactly. Some people act like if we win only 9 games this year we are supposed to get out the pitchforks and torches.

It's the Undertones isn't it?

Y2cupH.gif