Shatel: Excelling at basics is job one for '15

zoogs

So, thesker, why not just chill out and enjoy the season? You are all uptight because you think fans aren't demanding enough. Really??? My expectations on this season should mean nothing to you other than an interesting conversation. Instead, you act all pissed at the world.

If you're referring to me......don't worry, it doesn't.

Then, why do you act so upset all the time because people have different expectations of the year than you? Obviously, if you are this upset about it, then other people's expectations do affect you.

I expect to finish 2nd in the division. Not particularly high expectations, but an improvement over the last couple years, despite losing our best players on each side of the ball.

I expect us to play better as a team so we won't have to rely on freaks like Ameer and Randy to cover up as many deficiencies.

I expect Mike Riley to outcoach Jerry Kill.

This is a pretty decent short assessment. I differ on a couple of things. I think we have a decent chance of winning the division. Sorry I just believe a different coach will make a difference against Wisconsin.

To me Randy Gregory was almost a non factor in all but about 4 games last year. I don't think he will really be missed that much. I watched the bowl game again the other night on the PAC 12 Network. Even after a month off to cure whatever little nicks he may have had he was an absolute non factor in that game.

We are going to see a better overall product. A much more consistent product.

As far as getting a pass this year on MR record that is a big NO. Why should we expect him to win anything less than nine games. He has the tools to do it. He has said several times that he realizes the expectations are to win.

If you listen to him talk, in a subtle way I think he really feels good about this team. I think he is confident they can get some things done.

Its amazing how many people already know what they expect and the team hasn't even played BYU yet. Its like pulling a yellow crayon out of a box and expecting it to color in green.

Haven't seen the offensive system, haven't seen the defensive system, don't know how well the guys execute either one, and don't know who the hell is even going to play where, but we know how many wins to expect by God.

Great thing is, none of your expectations mean a damn thing to this program this season.

Its amazing how many people already know what they expect and the team hasn't even played BYU yet. Its like pulling a yellow crayon out of a box and expecting it to color in green.

Haven't seen the offensive system, haven't seen the defensive system, don't know how well the guys execute either one, and don't know who the hell is even going to play where, but we know how many wins to expect by God.

Great thing is, none of your expectations mean a damn thing to this program this season.

They mean as much as they always have. If you don't like the speculation and debate, you don't have to read it.

• Fire 2

I expect to finish 2nd in the division. Not particularly high expectations, but an improvement over the last couple years, despite losing our best players on each side of the ball.

I expect us to play better as a team so we won't have to rely on freaks like Ameer and Randy to cover up as many deficiencies.

I expect Mike Riley to outcoach Jerry Kill.

THOSE are realistic expectations and not asking for a whole hell of a lot. I am right there along with you Dude. As long as we are competitive in our division, and we don't get blown out, we don't lose to Minnesota or Iowa, I will be satisfied.

They mean as much as they always have. If you don't like the speculation and debate, you don't have to read it.

That's very true, I don't have to. I choose to. Some days it is a very poor choice on my part, but I've made poor choices before.......

I love speculation and debate. I've got a right to an opinion on things same as anybody else does.

I'd say listing your "expectations" has gone further than simply speculating. Speculating is discussing the possibilities.

Some of you have already determined how many games this team "should" win. There's a difference there.

I keep reading and responding because I want more people to understand that a coaching change can be a challenge. The coaches that do well in their first year deserve a lot of credit. My statement about your expectations means nothing is more based on season one. I in fact think fans rumblings can make plenty of noise the longer they go on. Year one, I just don't think a lot of people are listening because most people understand the situation.

If Riley happens to not do well, (I really hope that's not the case), I am hoping Husker fans go easy and don't create a hostile environemnt around here or anywhere else.

Give the guy a chance to get it together. I really like these coaches and I think they're gonna do well, I just think year one is tough to throw these expectations on and the coach shouldn't catch hell if he doesn't meet your expectations in year one.

Do you have the same opinion about all the people who already seem to know that this staff is an upgrade over the previous staff at basically every potion, that they are such better recruiters, that they'll actually have an improved scheme, that they'll put the players in a better position to succeed, etc., etc. etc.?

• Fire 4

If Riley happens to not do well, (I really hope that's not the case), I am hoping Husker fans go easy and don't create a hostile environemnt around here or anywhere else.

Give the guy a chance to get it together. I really like these coaches and I think they're gonna do well, I just think year one is tough to throw these expectations on and the coach shouldn't catch hell if he doesn't meet your expectations in year one.

Agreed. The constant bickering between fans over the last 4 years has been awful. I truly think we're in for a treat this year.

• Fire 1

I have heard multiple times via the media, friends and message boards that at Nebraska, a 9 win season is almost a given, regardless of the coach. It takes a real knucklehead, a.k.a. Bill Callahan, to screw it up. When Mike Riley was hired my first thought was, "Who?" I think a very large majority of Husker fans said the same thing. If SE is going to make a hire like MR, he better be good and win at an equal to or better clip right off the bat.

After learning considerably more about MR, I think he can do it. But just because I have learned more about MR does not mean the expectations change, even for the first season. I expect at least 9 wins, anything less is surely a disappointment.

• Fire 1

Sure we have seen the offensive and defensive system. We saw it in the spring game. I don't understand the train of thought that has NU looking completely different this fall vs. the spring game. If anything the offense may be pared down even more. The running game we saw had a lot of the same elements we have seen for the past 2-3 years with a jet sweep added. The passing game had more screen game put into it and will be more of exact routes vs. option routes. I was actually surprised we saw so much out of the shotgun.

Defensively it was pretty vanilla in the spring game, but I expect more of an attack mode vs. what we have seen. I think we are going to try and stop the run.

Again, I have hope, and expectations for the season, I don't know how it will go, but I think it is going to be pretty good, and non of my expectations ever me a damn thing to the program.

It looks to me like Riley is embracing the opportunity. The players know they have an opportunity to really learn something and become better football players. I think this is an opportunity for fans too. To start over with a guy that really wants to be here, a guy we can learn a little bit from as well. This should be enjoyable and positive, refreshing if nothing else, after the constant negativity surrounding this program recently. I think we've got a good HC here. I just want to see how he's gonna build this thing up. There's a certain impatience and entitlement when we throw expectations on a guy that's been in Nebraska for 7 months now...

There's a certain impatience and entitlement when we throw expectations on a guy that's been in Nebraska for 7 months now...

The last time we won a conference championship I was half my current age (I'm 30 for the non math folks). We're currently recruiting kids who were born that year. Nebraska has been banging its head against a glass ceiling for 15 years, so it's no wonder why the natives are restless..

Do you have the same opinion about all the people who already seem to know that this staff is an upgrade over the previous staff at basically every potion, that they are such better recruiters, that they'll actually have an improved scheme, that they'll put the players in a better position to succeed, etc., etc. etc.?

Well, you can spin that term "upgrade" in a lot of directions. Most people talking about this staff being an upgrade are talking about years of experience and knowledge in the technical aspects of their positions and the game of football. When you look at the previous staff's coaching history, I don't think that's even debatable. Hell yes this staff is an upgrade, pretty much across the board.

Better recruiters? I don't know about that. Bo and his staff got some pretty talented guys here. Riley's had a nice start I have to admit, he really started strong it seems, but I think we need to give that a little more time before we declare anything there. I don't follow recruiting as hardcore as some of you guys do though either.

Improved scheme? Based on what? How do we know they'll have an improved scheme? We don't know what the team will come out of the fall looking like and they haven't played a game yet. I'd say "improved scheme" is pretty tough to say at this point, so yea, I'd say I feel the same way. I think when people say improved scheme, I think they've heard how much simpler it might be and they believe these coaches will teach it better, but we can't possibly know how it looks yet.

I think this staff probably will put the players in a better position to succeed. You've already heard a lot about them building their systems around the talent they have. You've heard them talk about being selective in what they do and practicing those things repeatedly. Things like that are very positive signs and something we all begged to ever hear come from Pelini's mouth. 7 years later and he swore by doing the same things "his way". I'd say it's a very positive sign that we are already hearing those positive things from Riley, so yea I'm gonna say the players will probably be in a better position to succeed.

• Fire 1

Well, you can spin that term "upgrade" in a lot of directions. Most people talking about this staff being an upgrade are talking about years of experience and knowledge in the technical aspects of their positions and the game of football. When you look at the previous staff's coaching history, I don't think that's even debatable. Hell yes this staff is an upgrade, pretty much across the board.

Better recruiters? I don't know about that. Bo and his staff got some pretty talented guys here. Riley's had a nice start I have to admit, he really started strong it seems, but I think we need to give that a little more time before we declare anything there. I don't follow recruiting as hardcore as some of you guys do though either.

Improved scheme? Based on what? How do we know they'll have an improved scheme? We don't know what the team will come out of the fall looking like and they haven't played a game yet. I'd say "improved scheme" is pretty tough to say at this point, so yea, I'd say I feel the same way. I think when people say improved scheme, I think they've heard how much simpler it might be and they believe these coaches will teach it better, but we can't possibly know how it looks yet.

I think this staff probably will put the players in a better position to succeed. You've already heard a lot about them building their systems around the talent they have. You've heard them talk about being selective in what they do and practicing those things repeatedly. Things like that are very positive signs and something we all begged to ever hear come from Pelini's mouth. 7 years later and he swore by doing the same things "his way". I'd say it's a very positive sign that we are already hearing those positive things from Riley, so yea I'm gonna say the players will probably be in a better position to succeed.

Good post.

I expect this staff to put the players in a better position to succeed simply because in the heat of battle, I believe they will be better leaders. They will be the coaches the players can look to for leadership and confidence instead of the HC melting down on the side lines while the players are the ones trying to pick up the team.

I believe this staff is an upgrade based on the last paragraph plus the years of experience in their positions. Correct me if I'm wrong but most of our current coaches come in with more years of experience than the old staff left with. That is pretty amazing when you think about the difference.