Shatel: Excelling at basics is job one for '15

zoogs

There seems to be a severe issue distinguishing the difference between year one expectations and overall expectations in the future.

So the guy you frequently mention.....we'll call him Bo......"transitioned" a 5 win team to a 9 win team. Urban Meyer went undefeated in his "transition" at Ohio State. So how exactly are Riley's year one expectations anything below 9 wins and no blowout losses?

It was a "transition" year when Bo took over. Not sure why "transition" is in quotes. That's what they call it when a new coach comes to a new place. There's usually kind of a "transition" there. I gave Bo a lot of credit for turning the team around to 9 wins in his first year. No way in hell did I "expect" that. He did a great job.

I'll give Riley a hell of a lot of credit too, just like I did for Bo, if Riley takes this team even higher than they've been. No way in hell do I "expect" that. Not in a "transition" year.

Difference is, Bo wasn't in a transition year anymore. Bo was in year 7, and in year 7 his results looked very similar to the years previous. Those blowout losses were killers for Bo's career here, had he avoided those and cleaned up some of the repeated issues that plagued his team year after year, he may still be the HC here.

If Riley's career or his teams look like Bo's 7 years from now, I can assure you, I will not accept that. Nobody would. I think avoiding those blowouts is gonna be very key to the whole situation though.

• Fire 1

There seems to be a severe issue distinguishing the difference between year one expectations and overall expectations in the future.

So the guy you frequently mention.....we'll call him Bo......"transitioned" a 5 win team to a 9 win team. Urban Meyer went undefeated in his "transition" at Ohio State. So how exactly are Riley's year one expectations anything below 9 wins and no blowout losses?

It was a "transition" year when Bo took over. Not sure why "transition" is in quotes. That's what they call it when a new coach comes to a new place. There's usually kind of a "transition" there. I gave Bo a lot of credit for turning the team around to 9 wins in his first year. No way in hell did I "expect" that. He did a great job.

I'll give Riley a hell of a lot of credit too, just like I did for Bo, if Riley takes this team even higher than they've been. No way in hell do I "expect" that. Not in a "transition" year.

Difference is, Bo wasn't in a transition year anymore. Bo was in year 7, and in year 7 his results looked very similar to the years previous. Those blowout losses were killers for Bo's career here, had he avoided those and cleaned up some of the repeated issues that plagued his team year after year, he may still be the HC here.

If Riley's career or his teams look like Bo's 7 years from now, I can assure you, I will not accept that. Nobody would. I think avoiding those blowouts is gonna be very key to the whole situation though.

Is Urban Meyer's takeover at tOSU being compared to Bo's? You do know that Meyer took over a VERY rich roster. tOSU wasn't mediocre before him. Maybe the year before he got there, but remember, they had the most BCS appearances and wins in college football! That isn't easy. Tressell built that program, and it hasn't taken a hit at all.

5 win program, one year. Bo took a mediocre team, and made it a mediocre team. Only difference, he won the games he should have, and got blown out in the games he shouldn't have.

5 win program, one year. Bo took a mediocre team, and made it a mediocre team. Only difference, he won the games he should have, and got blown out in the games he shouldn't have.

Then Riley shouldn't have any issues immediately taking a 9 win team above mediocrity.

Then Riley shouldn't have any issues immediately taking a 9 win team above mediocrity.

Exactly. Installing new systems on offense and defense and losing your 3 best players and playing all new teams poses zero challenges that I can see.

• Fire 6

Nobody is giving the staff a free pass like you and a few others keep saying.

Um...

What’s the Huskers’ record? I don’t know. And, frankly, don’t care.

Then what do you call that?

Is that the same thing as giving the team a free pass? I don't know, you tell me. He talks the whole article about expecting improvement on fundamentals, technique, and overall quality of football. Doesn't sound like a free pass to me? Just sounds like he's more focused on quality of football over quantity of wins in this first season, but you can and will make whether you want out of one sentence in an article instead of hearing the poi t of the article as awhile. It is you're right to do so and from your stance on things, I'm not surprised that you did.

Bo's gone folks. He ain't comin' back, and soon I think you'll be glad of that, just not soon enough.

First, you can quit with the Bo lover fallacy. Just because people aren't 100% drinking the Kool-aid doesn't mean they want Bo back. It weakens your argument.

Second, this isn't a rebuilding job (or season) and any expectation or approval of such is in fact, a "free pass" for the season. I expect the offense to be top 20 offense (if TCU can bring in a new OC and jump 101 spots, we can stay top 20), and the defense to be top 40 (goodbye Bo). With this schedule, I think 10 regular season wins and a trip to the CCG should be in order.

How about your "we can't fire a 9 win coach" fallacy. You were the captain of that train.

• Fire 1

I don't think he will, given some time. This team has some personnel holes thanks to Pelini's recruiting and roster management at a few positions. There's a pretty good chance we start a true freshman at LB and play multiple true freshmen there due to the cupboard being left empty, for example.

Add in that we are changing systems on offense and defense. A knee jerk judgement after year one doesn't sound pragmatic.

• Fire 1

Exactly. Installing new systems on offense and defense and losing your 3 best players and playing all new teams poses zero challenges that I can see.

Perfectly stated Moraine.

TheSker, taking above? Do you really think this team is enriched with talent like tOSU? I think we have talent, but its nothing superior across the board, like the school you stated earlier. You seem to forget how lazy Bo and most of his staff, with the exception of a few assistants, were on the recruiting road. We have kids that can grow, and become stars, but you have to coach them to that level. I believe we have those coaches, but your not going to see a dramatic change in one year. The scheme change alone, you will see an improvement, but will it equivilate to wins? Probably not, but it we should remain more competitive in games we "shouldn't" win, rather than seeing 70-31, or 408 rushing yards to one player. I will take a 7 win season next year, if we can remain competitive in every game.

I don't think he will, given some time. This team has some personnel holes thanks to Pelini's recruiting and roster management at a few positions. There's a pretty good chance we start a true freshman at LB and play multiple true freshmen there due to the cupboard being left empty, for example.

Add in that we are changing systems on offense and defense. A knee jerk judgement after year one doesn't sound pragmatic.

An issue is, for all the things Pelini mismanaged......recruiting, roster, etc.....he never won less than 9. Not once. His scheme defensively gets blasted on here quite a bit, so installing a new scheme should allow for immediate, marked improvement, no?

Nobody is giving the staff a free pass like you and a few others keep saying.

Um...

What’s the Huskers’ record? I don’t know. And, frankly, don’t care.

Then what do you call that?

Is that the same thing as giving the team a free pass? I don't know, you tell me. He talks the whole article about expecting improvement on fundamentals, technique, and overall quality of football. Doesn't sound like a free pass to me? Just sounds like he's more focused on quality of football over quantity of wins in this first season, but you can and will make whether you want out of one sentence in an article instead of hearing the poi t of the article as awhile. It is you're right to do so and from your stance on things, I'm not surprised that you did.

Bo's gone folks. He ain't comin' back, and soon I think you'll be glad of that, just not soon enough.

First, you can quit with the Bo lover fallacy. Just because people aren't 100% drinking the Kool-aid doesn't mean they want Bo back. It weakens your argument.

Second, this isn't a rebuilding job (or season) and any expectation or approval of such is in fact, a "free pass" for the season. I expect the offense to be top 20 offense (if TCU can bring in a new OC and jump 101 spots, we can stay top 20), and the defense to be top 40 (goodbye Bo). With this schedule, I think 10 regular season wins and a trip to the CCG should be in order.

How about your "we can't fire a 9 win coach" fallacy. You were the captain of that train.

Actually, what I said, was that it wouldn't go over well in the national media, and that people would question whether or not the fanbase would have realistic expectations. If you had spent any time on the board in the last 7 months, you'd know my thoughts on firing Pelini.

FTR, I don't expect a Conference championship. But, I don't expect a regression either. Nine wins and some close losses would be Ok I guess, but we did that last season (outside of UW).

Are wins going to be the benchmark that we use to judge Riley's first season? I hope not. We may have no problem getting to 9 wins, but I would want to see us play consistent and efficient football in all of our games this year. Reduce the turnovers and cut back on the penalties. Raise our completion percentage and get more pressure on the QB. Have our LBs be able to cover WRs in the flats or running out of the backfield. Tackle with good form. Take the proper angles more often. Give those teams less talented than us no lifeline with which to get back into the game.

• Fire 3

FTR, I don't expect a Conference championship. But, I don't expect a regression either. Nine wins and some close losses would be Ok I guess, but we did that last season (outside of UW).

Are wins going to be the benchmark that we use to judge Riley's first season? I hope not. We may have no problem getting to 9 wins, but I would want to see us play consistent and efficient football in all of our games this year. Reduce the turnovers and cut back on the penalties. Raise our completion percentage and get more pressure on the QB. Have our LBs be able to cover WRs in the flats or running out of the backfield. Tackle with good form. Take the proper angles more often. Give those teams less talented than us no lifeline with which to get back into the game.

Yes, we are going to judge the season on wins, because ultimately, that's what actually matters. How you get those wins is important, but if you play consistent and efficient, and lose 5 games, nobody really cares.

Example, Michigan state in 2012 and 2013. Defense was great both years. Offense played about the same, until 3/4 through 2013 when Sparty got just a little bit better. In 2012 they finished 7-6, and 2013 they were 12-1. Great defense/efficient play didn't matter in 2012.

An issue is, for all the things Pelini mismanaged......recruiting, roster, etc.....he never won less than 9. Not once.

Bo was the king of 9-4, you'll get no argument from me. I just wish his 3rd through 7th years would have been better than his first two years.

Yes, we are going to judge the season on wins, because ultimately, that's what actually matters. How you get those wins is important, but if you play consistent and efficient, and lose 5 games, nobody really cares.

Example, Michigan state in 2012 and 2013. Defense was great both years. Offense played about the same, until 3/4 through 2013 when Sparty got just a little bit better. In 2012 they finished 7-6, and 2013 they were 12-1. Great defense/efficient play didn't matter in 2012.

Sure, our record will matter. I can't think of a single Michigan State fan who was happy when the Spartans went 7-6 in 2012, even though 5 of those losses were by a combined 13 points. Michigan State followed that season by going 13-1 and winning the Big Ten and Rose Bowl in 2013; the Spartans went 11-2 (only losses to Oregon and Ohio State) and won the Cotton Bowl in 2014.

Close losses, such as the losses endured by MSU in 2012 are just as likely a result of bad luck as bad coaching. There's no way you attribute 52-17, 62-28, 31-10, 48-17, 45-17, 30-13, 63-38, 70-31, 41-21, 38-17, and 59-24 losses to bad luck. That's bad coaching and, after consistent multi-blowout seasons, there's no sign that that was going to change.

I will gladly take a season similar to Michigan State's 2012 season if it produces what Michigan State has experienced the following 2 seasons.

I'll take a 7-6 season like what MSU had in 2012 over a 9-4 season like we had last year. Why? Why on Earth would someone want a season where they lose more? Because the quality of football MSU was playing in 2012 exceeded the quality of football Nebraska played last season and undoubtedly laid the foundation for what MSU would do in 2013 and 2014. If we can do exactly what MSU did in 2012, I'll be very pleased and very incredibly excited for the following season. It's just a bonus if we can do so while winning 9 or more games.

• Fire 1