Sipple: Husker fans would be wise to heed Dantonio's words

Elite or not, I'd say the staff Riley attracted is more talented than Pelini's staff.

But that's just a guess so far. We won't know what we've got for a couple more months now.

you might name the former high school coaches and golf coach's that Riley hired, even name the grad asst's. that he promoted to coaching status, you can even "guess" if you need to.

What?

:lol:

Yes Bo had all of those, I know you laugh when you are really crying inside. :hmmph Just think of all the wins we missed out on because of incompetent coaching. Baffles the mind doesn't it!

He's saying what cause you said Riley had a golf coach as an assistant, not Bo.

Riley's staff is not elite. I think they're good and capable, but there's no use in calling them what they aren't.

But they may be exactly what this program needs and maybe they mirror this team more than people think. Both the staff and this program have a lot to prove. Both are kind of an afterthought nationally. Both have been easy to overlook. I like that they should have a similar mentality. Seemed like Pelini came in after winning a title with LSU and went in with a know it all mindset. I think this is the type of staff this program needs and not just a different personality from the head coach. Experienced. Ambitious. Maybe a little underappreciated. Most of all to me they seem open to things they aren't that experienced in philosophy wise. Not always the case with a staff taking over a new team.

Elite or not, I'd say the staff Riley attracted is more talented than Pelini's staff.

But that's just a guess so far. We won't know what we've got for a couple more months now.

you might name the former high school coaches and golf coach's that Riley hired, even name the grad asst's. that he promoted to coaching status, you can even "guess" if you need to.

What?

:lol:

Yes Bo had all of those, I know you laugh when you are really crying inside. :hmmph Just think of all the wins we missed out on because of incompetent coaching. Baffles the mind doesn't it!

He's saying what cause you said Riley had a golf coach as an assistant, not Bo.

I was asking him to point out all the unqualified coaches Riley had on his staff compared to Bo, The answer would be none.. He said it was just "guess" that they were more qualified. I called them elite compared to what Bo hired. I really don't see how the point can be argued.

• Fire 1

Nebraska football fans, and even top athletic department officials, would be wise to heed the wisdom of Mark Dantonio. Dantonio remembers precisely what he stated in late November of 2006, when he was introduced as Michigan State's head coach. He said it was imperative that everybody — coaches, players, administrative personnel and fans — move forward in the same direction. He recalled those words last week during Big Ten Media Days in Chicago. Michigan State's patience and resolve were tested in 2009, Dantonio's third season, when the Spartans finished 6-7 (4-4 Big Ten).

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/sipple/steven-m-sipple-husker-fans-would-be-wise-to-heed/article_a2c553c6-287b-5ced-bb7d-def4322968e0.html

While I think his overall point is correct, I feel it's important to Riley to get out of the gate quickly. The next 3 years, our schedule gets tremendously harder, so we can't really afford a slow progression. if Riley were to turn in a 7 win season in year 1, I'm curious to what the national reaction would be.

I think it's important to get out of the gate quickly as well. But how do you suppose that happens? Unlike last season where we longed for week 7 and beyond to arrive, the first half of this year is as challenging as we've had in recent memory. BYU, MIAMI, WISC, MINN are within the first 7 games this year. That's outstanding!

So what satisfies getting out of the gate quickly in regards to wins and losses? I would assume you are specifically talking about the 4 non con games? Because along those lines, the following four games after that would be the middle of the season (ILL, WISC, MIN, NW), and the final 4 would be the final stretch (PURD, MICH ST, RUTG, IOW). The beginning is exciting, but we've really played poorly quite often down the stretch. We just seem to peak early, then regress. Or there were too many weeks that went up and down, up and down as how the majority of the seasons typically ended.

So personally, I think it's more telling how the Huskers finish off the year under Riley that will give us a better indication. Going 3-2 to start out is never fun, but winning the final 7 out of 8 would be refreshing.

By the way, Hats Off to whoever put this schedule together. Seriously, kudos.

• Fire 1

Firing a 9-4 coach complicates matters.

Sipple's still teeth-gnashing about the administration firing a 9-win coach. It might be couched in some generic enough article, but to me (and with all due respect to Sipple), it's more of that same bluster. Bo thoroughly, completely, objectively earned his way out and by now, it should be abundantly clear to everybody why. Future success (or lack of it) will have had nothing to do with the fact that, agree or disagree with it, there was nothing really complicated about the decision.

He's not just pulling it out of his arse though. Just yesterday I was listening to the USA today Football Four podcast, and they talked about it. George Schroeder basically said Nebraska isn't an elite school (Paul Myerberg disagreed) and he questioned the fanbases sense of entitlement for wanting Pelini gone, and he's hardly alone. It was a real narrative across the national CFB media.

If Pelini finished with 9 win season that were filled with competitive games and a positive culture then I would agree.

However Pelini wasn't fired due to wins/losses but more due to how we lost at times and the fact that he was becoming an embarrassment and not a positive ambassador for the university.

Elite team or not I would expect any university to make that same call.

Oh I agree, but nationally, they aren't going to dig all that much. They just look and see the string of 9-10 wins, and write a story.

I don't think the national media will dig specifically into the Pelini/Riley transition if Riley fails to win at a level Pelini did. I think we'll hear about the Solich/Callahan transition again with the media focus being Nebraska twice fired .700 coaches.

Sipple's still teeth-gnashing about the administration firing a 9-win coach. It might be couched in some generic enough article, but to me (and with all due respect to Sipple), it's more of that same bluster. Bo thoroughly, completely, objectively earned his way out and by now, it should be abundantly clear to everybody why. Future success (or lack of it) will have had nothing to do with the fact that, agree or disagree with it, there was nothing really complicated about the decision.

He's not just pulling it out of his arse though. Just yesterday I was listening to the USA today Football Four podcast, and they talked about it. George Schroeder basically said Nebraska isn't an elite school (Paul Myerberg disagreed) and he questioned the fanbases sense of entitlement for wanting Pelini gone, and he's hardly alone. It was a real narrative across the national CFB media.

If Pelini finished with 9 win season that were filled with competitive games and a positive culture then I would agree.

However Pelini wasn't fired due to wins/losses but more due to how we lost at times and the fact that he was becoming an embarrassment and not a positive ambassador for the university.

Oh I agree, but nationally, they aren't going to dig all that much. They just look and see the string of 9-10 wins, and write a story.

I don't think the national media will dig specifically into the Pelini/Riley transition if Riley fails to win at a level Pelini did. I think we'll also hear about the Solich/Callahan transition again with the media focus being Nebraska twice fired .700 coaches.

I don't think the national media will dig specifically into the Pelini/Riley transition if Riley fails to win at a level Pelini did. I think we'll hear about the Solich/Callahan transition again with the media focus being Nebraska twice fired .700 coaches.

I'm not sure I understand Pelini's level the way you do. Do you recall Bo's first season? Sitting at 5-4 after giving up 62 to OU. His level also saw Missouri pop 52 on him at Homecoming in Lincoln. In fact, if Alex Henery does not blast a successful FG from midfield against CU (as amazing as it gets), the Buffaloes run out the last minute and a half to secure the win. That's how close Pelini came to going 7-5 his FIRST year. 0-3 against the only 3 ranked opponents all season. Was it a warning of things to come? A possible Red Flag? Or was it okay to overlook and dismiss?

And take it easy. I wouldn't blame Nebraska....Those coaches got themselves fired.

I'm not sure I understand Pelini's level the way you do. Do you recall Bo's first season? Sitting at 5-4 after giving up 62 to OU. His level also saw Missouri pop 52 on him at Homecoming in Lincoln. In fact, if Alex Henery does not blast a successful FG from midfield against CU (as amazing as it gets), the Buffaloes run out the last minute and a half to secure the win. That's how close Pelini came to going 7-5 his FIRST year. 0-3 against the only 3 ranked opponents all season. Was it a warning of things to come? A possible Red Flag? Or was it okay to overlook and dismiss?

And take it easy. I wouldn't blame Nebraska....Those coaches got themselves fired.

The media isn't going to help justify the firing of .700 level coaches if Riley doesn't win. My post wasn't specifically about Pelini....it was about a broad 15 year Nebraska story line the media would jump on. If you need to continue to justify Pelini's firing, feel free.....it's the 'net.

It's much easier to believe in short term pain for long term gain if the coaching staff is at least likeable, and the fans that really understand football can see the merit in what they are doing, even if it's not panning out smashing success right away. Maybe there were still some believers in the Pelini plan at the end, but almost no one liked him.

The media isn't going to help justify the firing of .700 level coaches if Riley doesn't win. My post wasn't specifically about Pelini....it was about a broad 15 year Nebraska story line the media would jump on. If you need to continue to justify Pelini's firing, feel free.....it's the 'net.

Story lines? Well when a football program has accumulated the 2nd or 3rd most wins in college football history, why worry what the media story line might be? It sure doesn't bother me. We win here. If Riley doesn't, he'll be out the door like the others. Really, not a big deal.

I don't understand your justify comment. That seemed odd and out there.

There is not one coach on the former staff that can hold a candle to anyone on the new staff. We do agree on something, the golf coach was one of the better coaches on the staff. That is truly embarrassing.

So, 10-2 minimum then?

That is where I am at.

• Fire 1