Planned Parenthood

PP has mainly been servicing poorer communites of color, hence the right wing antagnonism against it. I don't advocate mid or late term abortion and certainly not the sale of infant organs--science has gone too far on that one. Change the abortion policies @ PP and keep it going for the other women's health services.

OMFG....

Not everything friggen thing is about race.

True, but this is and classist and about the right wing Christian agenda. PP was inspired by a right wing commited eugenicist(M. Sanger) but I don't think that has much of anything to do with the right motivation here. They're playing to their Christian lobby.

This is about the right wing Christian agenda against abortion. That's it. The left wing propaganda machine can try to make it into more than that but it's not. The funny thing is, they don't even need to make it into more than that.

Not everything that conservatives want to cut is motivated by wanting to keep poor black people down. That line is really old and worn out.

I say the racist/classist part is, in this case, rather unaware: that is, since PP is mainly in the poorer black/Latino inner city, it's quite easy for a bunch of wealthy, white congressmen to act in a hasty, reactionary way to get rid of it without much thought of the people who are well served by PP. Out of sight, out of mind type thing.

Sexist as well.

They're serving their mostly white, Christian lobby which, in case you hadn't noticed, has become quite a force within right wing politics. I honestly think that most of them don't care that much about abortions or lack thereof within the mostly poor, black, female communities Why would/should they? They're reacting to their base, it's about votes and lobby $.

Until this video thing came out, none of them gave much of a crap about PP.

Really????

You actually think that the anti-abortion movement is motivated not by actually wanting to stop abortion but because of racism, classism and sexism?

What kind of weird propaganda do you read?

Like I said, the left wing doesn't even need to make this out to be more than what it is. The extreme right wing in on this issue does a good enough job of making themselves out to look like wackos by themselves.

The sexism part is very laughable. Women are a HUGE part of the anti-abortion movement and no, they aren't whipped little women just following what their dominating conservative husbands want them to think. In fact, the people who eventually convinced me to be anti-abortion are my mother, sister and wife. That is not uncommon.

The problem with you arguments on this is that it deflects from the real issues and that is exactly what the extremes on that side want to have happen. Like I said, neither side really wants anything to be done on this issue. They gain too much power from it. So, if the left wing can paint more and more ..."isms" onto this pig then they just gain more and more power no matter if it's really true or not.

'Unaware', subconscious racism, etc.

PP has mainly been servicing poorer communites of color, hence the right wing antagnonism against it. I don't advocate mid or late term abortion and certainly not the sale of infant organs--science has gone too far on that one. Change the abortion policies @ PP and keep it going for the other women's health services.

OMFG....

True, but this is and classist and about the right wing Christian agenda. PP was inspired by a right wing commited eugenicist(M. Sanger) but I don't think that has much of anything to do with the right motivation here. They're playing to their Christian lobby.

This is about the right wing Christian agenda against abortion. That's it. The left wing propaganda machine can try to make it into more than that but it's not. The funny thing is, they don't even need to make it into more than that.

Not everything that conservatives want to cut is motivated by wanting to keep poor black people down. That line is really old and worn out.

I say the racist/classist part is, in this case, rather unaware: that is, since PP is mainly in the poorer black/Latino inner city, it's quite easy for a bunch of wealthy, white congressmen to act in a hasty, reactionary way to get rid of it without much thought of the people who are well served by PP. Out of sight, out of mind type thing.

Sexist as well.

They're serving their mostly white, Christian lobby which, in case you hadn't noticed, has become quite a force within right wing politics. I honestly think that most of them don't care that much about abortions or lack thereof within the mostly poor, black, female communities Why would/should they? They're reacting to their base, it's about votes and lobby $.

Really????

You actually think that the anti-abortion movement is motivated not by actually wanting to stop abortion but because of racism, classism and sexism?

Like I said, the left wing doesn't even need to make this out to be more than what it is. The extreme right wing in on this issue does a good enough job of making themselves out to look like wackos by themselves.

The sexism part is very laughable. Women are a HUGE part of the anti-abortion movement and no, they aren't whipped little women just following what their dominating conservative husbands want them to think. In fact, the people who eventually convinced me to be anti-abortion are my mother, sister and wife. That is not uncommon.

The problem with you arguments on this is that it deflects from the real issues and that is exactly what the extremes on that side want to have happen. Like I said, neither side really wants anything to be done on this issue. They gain too much power from it. So, if the left wing can paint more and more ..."isms" onto this pig then they just gain more and more power no matter if it's really true or not.

Ummmm....no....it's not....

Right wing anti-abortion doesn't matter what color the skin is of the people getting the abortion.

You can keep saying those ism words over and over again and it doesn't make it so. It just deflects from the conversation.

Another thought crossed my head that made me more annoyed. This is again about the Bush quote and not really about PP.

It's almost always the woman who takes and pays for birth control. Most women also pay for everything related to pregnancy if they're not in a relationship. But 1/1000th of what we pay for military might be too much funding for women's health.

corn: I don't know much about PP and how they help poorer people, and I doubt many Republicans know about it either. I did almost go there to get birth control because their requirements are less stringent (i.e. stupid). I find it highly unlikely their helping poor/black people has anything to do with people wanting it de-funded or shut down. Pro-lifers see abortion as murdering a baby. That's a hell of a lot more important to them than whether PP is helping poor people or not.

I think I covered it above^. The race/class/gender card is basically 'unaware'. Part of being racists/sexist/classist is being unaware of it--i.e., subconscious.

I believe there are people who are subconsciously racist, but that has absolutely nothing at all to do with this. Most people have NO idea PP helps a lot of poor people. I had no idea of this until now. Not knowing they help poor people doesn't make me classist or racist. Knowing they kill babies is what people care about.

Knowing they kill babies is what people care about.

Whether they "kill babies" seems debatable.

Of course it's debatable but it's not what we're debating.

It's the only thing that really desperately needs to be debated, though, IMO.

Another thought crossed my head that made me more annoyed. This is again about the Bush quote and not really about PP.

It's almost always the woman who takes and pays for birth control. Most women also pay for everything related to pregnancy if they're not in a relationship. But 1/1000th of what we pay for military might be too much funding for women's health.

corn: I don't know much about PP and how they help poorer people, and I doubt many Republicans know about it either. I did almost go there to get birth control because their requirements are less stringent (i.e. stupid). I find it highly unlikely their helping poor/black people has anything to do with people wanting it de-funded or shut down. Pro-lifers see abortion as murdering a baby. That's a hell of a lot more important to them than whether PP is helping poor people or not.

I think I covered it above^. The race/class/gender card is basically 'unaware'. Part of being racists/sexist/classist is being unaware of it--i.e., subconscious.

I believe there are people who are subconsciously racist, but that has absolutely nothing at all to do with this. Most people have NO idea PP helps a lot of poor people. I had no idea of this until now. Not knowing they help poor people doesn't make me classist or racist. Knowing they kill babies is what people care about.

But the polticians DO know about PP and--because of conscious OR subconscious racist/classist/sexist attitudes--generally don't give a crap about it and that's also why they would be quick to pull the plug on it at the beck and call of their mostly white Christian antiabortion constituency. If PP was serving their daughters they wouldn't have responded in the same way. The thing is, harvesting/marketing human--including babies'--organs and tissue FOR PROFIT is apparently legal in the USA Inc. Maybe they should revisit those laws and investigate PP where necessary rather than engaging in reactionary politics.

OMFG....

Sexist as well.

Really????

Ummmm....no....it's not....

Right wing anti-abortion doesn't matter what color the skin is of the people getting the abortion.

You can keep saying those ism words over and over again and it doesn't make it so. It just deflects from the conversation.

In the future, I'll try to keep things more 2 dimensional for yaz...

CLklzQwVAAAFOtT.jpg

Anecdotal. For every story like this there are a handful of stories that couldn't be told because PP aborted the potential story teller.

Only 10% of the people who go to PP go there for abortions. So you have your handful ratio flipped around.

Do you really want to pretend that the staggering amount of abortions provided by PP is insignificant? 40% of all abortions in the US. 51% of their income comes from abortions, 330,000 abortions yearly. I don't know about you but I feel safe referring to those types of numbers as a handful compared to the number of stories I've seen like the one Carl posted.

CLklzQwVAAAFOtT.jpg

Anecdotal. For every story like this there are a handful of stories that couldn't be told because PP aborted the potential story teller.

Only 10% of the people who go to PP go there for abortions. So you have your handful ratio flipped around.

Do you really want to pretend that the staggering amount of abortions provided by PP is insignificant? 40% of all abortions in the US. 51% of their income comes from abortions, 330,000 abortions yearly. I don't know about you but I feel safe referring to those types of numbers as a handful compared to the number of stories I've seen like the one Carl posted.

Who said I thought it was insignificant? 10% of a lot is a lot.

But why is it surprising that an abortion costs more than an annual exam or pre natal care? Like I said, 10% of the people who go to PP go there to get an abortion. That's a handful compared to the 90% that go there for other reasons. You consider the abortion stories as a handful compared to the story carlfense posted only because you hear about abortions more. Not because there are actually more of them.

http://www.factcheck.org/2011/04/planned-parenthood/

• Fire 1

CLklzQwVAAAFOtT.jpg

Who said I thought it was insignificant? 10% of a lot is a lot.

But why is it surprising that an abortion costs more than an annual exam or pre natal care? Like I said, 10% of the people who go to PP go there to get an abortion. That's a handful compared to the 90% that go there for other reasons. You consider the abortion stories as a handful compared to the story carlfense posted only because you hear about abortions more. Not because there are actually more of them.

http://www.factcheck.org/2011/04/planned-parenthood/

While we're "fact" checking.....http://www.lifenews.com/2012/09/05/media-hides-fact-planned-parenthood-does-40-of-abortions/