Minnesota's AD out after sending sexts

Red Five

Yeah, I think the "position of power" is the key. I mean, if these same texts would have been sent by some lowly grad student who worked at a campus coffee shop then nothing would have come from it. But because he is (was) the AD at a B1G Ten school, his handful of inappropriate text messages morphed into a huge scandal. I'm guessing there will be a lawsuit and settlement. Because that's what this is really all about.

Allow me to play devils advocate a bit on the reporter sharing her story.

While what he did was wrong, it did feel like she was using this to further her career.

She has every right to share her story, but if it was so bad, and she choose to hide and wait, she is basically setting up other people to deal with this same abuse. She is a victim and it isnt her fault this guy is a total creep.

I am not condoning anything that Norwood did, but this reporter is also now going to further her career from this. Sharing her story doesnt further the outcome, he has already been fired.

I know i might catch hell because it is wrong to question a victim and she laid out why she didnt do things then, but at the end of the day, she let him slide and two others(maybe even more) had to deal with his crap.

I just hope her decision to share her story is from a genuine place and not a way to further the paper and her own career by way of a serious problem.

/Rant over

While what he did was wrong, it did feel like she was using this to further her career.

She has every right to share her story, but if it was so bad, and she choose to hide and wait, she is basically setting up other people to deal with this same abuse. She is a victim and it isnt her fault this guy is a total creep.

I am not condoning anything that Norwood did, but this reporter is also now going to further her career from this. Sharing her story doesnt further the outcome, he has already been fired.

I know i might catch hell because it is wrong to question a victim and she laid out why she didnt do things then, but at the end of the day, she let him slide and two others(maybe even more) had to deal with his crap.

I just hope her decision to share her story is from a genuine place and not a way to further the paper and her own career by way of a serious problem.

/Rant over

It's a scary thing when people comprehend that they can personally benefit from a tragic situation - either their own or someone else's. I think being a victim of something awful is a tough thing to deal with in life, and results in all sorts of psychological trauma that leads people to act very poorly but hardly able to help it sometimes.

I'm with you. I give her the benefit of the doubt, but I do wonder about her motives. Maybe she needed this for herself, and finally had a catalyst that gave her the courage to do it. Or maybe she has internalized this sh#t and just wants to make a buck.

/Rant over

It's a scary thing when people comprehend that they can personally benefit from a tragic situation - either their own or someone else's. I think being a victim of something awful is a tough thing to deal with in life, and results in all sorts of psychological trauma that leads people to act very poorly but hardly able to help it sometimes.

I'm with you. I give her the benefit of the doubt, but I do wonder about her motives. Maybe she needed this for herself, and finally had a catalyst that gave her the courage to do it. Or maybe she has internalized this sh#t and just wants to make a buck.

Exactly.

I am not saying she is trying to benefit... Just throwing it out there for discussion purposes.

She made clear points to how she handled it before and it sounds like the normal "I was scared i would get pushed out"... She starts making allegations and all of a sudden she is out of a job.

Just think she will benefit from this, and always worried the ulterior motive is the motivating factor

/Rant over

Exactly.

I am not saying she is trying to benefit... Just throwing it out there for discussion purposes.

She made clear points to how she handled it before and it sounds like the normal "I was scared i would get pushed out"... She starts making allegations and all of a sudden she is out of a job.

Just think she will benefit from this, and always worried the ulterior motive is the motivating factor

What she did right, it seems, is actually report it to other people so that they were aware.

• 2 months later...