What is this year about?

Last year we lost three 1 score games, and 1 blowout. Turning that blowout into a 1 score loss doesn't make me feel better. We still lost 4 games. Feeling we're making "progress" about close losses is the most Iowa thing ever.

It wouldn't make you feel the slightest bit better to lose to Wisconsin by 3 points instead of 40 points? That's pretty damn weird.

I guess...if it was NU vs OSU or Bama or something like that...I would be kind of "okay" or feel better with a close loss but to Wisconsin? No, it should just be a win.

• Fire 1

Winning and a lot of it.

First off...Riley is not taking over some downtrodden team with zero experience coming back.

He is not facing some daunting schedule, there is a chance they only face 2 ranked teams

He has a QB with 20 starts

Riley is a seasoned vetern with a super experienced staff

This is not a rebuild. Riley was hired, not to rebuild and not to maintain. He was hired so that a 9 win season starts to look like the floor and not the ceiling.

+1

You-play-to-win-the-game.gif

That doesn't mean it's the only thing but it's most of it. I don't think the being more competitive is much of a moral victory. I think we improved a lot last year from the year before but the record was still the same so it didn't really seem any better. If we win 9 and don't get blown out in the one game ... eh, that's nice but it doesn't change a lot. If we win less but don't get blown out once, it's understandable but that doesn't mean it's better. If we win more but still get blown out once, I'd say it's still a good improvement. I'm not going to shrug off the next year or two just because I'm hoping it will be better down the road.

As far as the this year/five years, it almost has to be about 3-5 years down the road. I don't see us winning a conference championship this year (there's that winning again) so hopefully we're laying the ground work to get to that next level.

I think being competitive even in losses matters and I think it matters a lot. I think it matters to the Jimmy's and Joe's that we try to get to come here and I think it matters to the average fan.

I think it makes a difference in the image that Husker football has. The better the image the easier to land recruits, everyone wants to play for a winner and no one really wants to play for an embarrassment. This is Nebraska football, we come to play and play hard. We don't expect blowouts, we expect a strong showing regardless of the final outcome. Not being competitive is unacceptable for Nebraska.

I demand immediate improvement, but I won't know what that means until I see it.

Nebraska may not have the toughest schedule in the NCAA but it's hardly a cakewalk. Analysts have us fourth or fifth in the Big Ten, a conference that enjoyed a major resurgence last year. That means we are not expected to make any great leap under Riley, nor are we expected to slump.

I just want us to belong in the college football conversation again, playing well in meaningful games.

And having fun.

We lost the Holiday Bowl last season, but the quality of play and emotion on the sidelines was such a huge improvement that it gave me hope. Still can't put a number on it.

I am a bit shocked with the moral victory stuff...

It's not just a moral victory to play competitively and not get embarrassed. That is a very real, tangible, good thing. It is just as important, if not moreso, than hanging a W on some nobody.

I feel sorry for anybody who can't grasp this. If that W is the ultimate thing, why even watch the games? You can get all you need by checking the scores Saturday night.

It's not just a moral victory to play competitively and not get embarrassed. That is a very real, tangible, good thing. It is just as important, if not moreso, than hanging a W on some nobody.

I feel sorry for anybody who can't grasp this. If that W is the ultimate thing, why even watch the games? You can get all you need by checking the scores Saturday night.

Ahhhhh, I get your point now. You mean it more from an "entertainment" point of view, yes, I agree with that. Close games (either way, win or loss) are usually more entertaining.

But, I feel sorry for any fan of a team that doesn't think the W is the ultimate thing. That is why they keep score.

• Fire 1

Ahhhhh, I get your point now. You mean it more from an "entertainment" point of view, yes, I agree with that. Close games (either way, win or loss) are usually more entertaining.

But, I feel sorry for any fan of a team that doesn't think the W is the ultimate thing. That is why they keep score.

No. You don't get it at all. It doesn't have anything to do with entertainment value. Absolutely nothing.

It has to do with pride and fielding a good team. Any half ass team can go out and get a win against the Purdues and Illinois and McNeese States of the world. But what happens when we play a team with a heartbeat... a Wisconsin or a MSU? That is my point. The 9 wins we've been getting don't mean sh#t if we can't line up and play ball with the big boys.

Analogy time. I pride myself on being a good basketball player. I play 12 neighbors every year. Nine of them are 5 year Olds and the other 3 are men my age. Do you see where this is going.......?

I guess no one has shot 70 one day and then 85 the next, on the same course from the same tees... It would be fun to always shoot 72, but human performance doesn't work that way. If a few key players have off days or even a few off plays in any given game, a "blowout" could occur. In a retrospective hypothetical, I would keep the 408 if we beat Minnesota.

As far as OP, I believe we need to win at least as much. If nothing else, to validate Mr. Riley as a competent coach that will use the tools available to maximize results. I've been told that is one of his strengths, versatility. "Making progress" is a pretty nebulous term that can be spun in infinite ways. "Yes, we only won 3 games, but we didn't get blown out.... Progress was made, IMHO"

• Fire 1

No. You don't get it at all. It doesn't have anything to do with entertainment value. Absolutely nothing.

It has to do with pride and fielding a good team. Any half ass team can go out and get a win against the Purdues and Illinois and McNeese States of the world. But what happens when we play a team with a heartbeat... a Wisconsin or a MSU? That is my point. The 9 wins we've been getting don't mean sh#t if we can't line up and play ball with the big boys.

Analogy time. I pride myself on being a good basketball player. I play 12 neighbors every year. Nine of them are 5 year Olds and the other 3 are men my age. Do you see where this is going.......?

Yeah, I see where it is going, you like playing basketball against 5 year old kids. Do you lower the rim or does it just depend which driveway you are playing on?

Mav did the stats...3 losses last year by 1 score...why are people acting like NU got blown out 4 times a year?

I guess no one has shot 70 one day and then 85 the next, on the same course from the same tees... It would be fun to always shoot 72, but human performance doesn't work that way. If a few key players have off days or even a few off plays in any given game, a "blowout" could occur. In a retrospective hypothetical, I would keep the 408 if we beat Minnesota.

As far as OP, I believe we need to win at least as much. If nothing else, to validate Mr. Riley as a competent coach that will use the tools available to maximize results. I've been told that is one of his strengths, versatility. "Making progress" is a pretty nebulous term that can be spun in infinite ways. "Yes, we only won 3 games, but we didn't get blown out.... Progress was made, IMHO"

Yes I have and yes we all would take more wins, I totally agree with you.

Yeah, I see where it is going, you like playing basketball against 5 year old kids. Do you lower the rim or does it just depend which driveway you are playing on?

Mav did the stats...3 losses last year by 1 score...why are people acting like NU got blown out 4 times a year?

Maybe you should stick to being most concerned about tailgating and boozing and beave.......

I want the team to play good enough to win them all. Wins don't manifest in a vacuum. They might just happen against lesser competition but you have to earn the ones that matter. I want the Huskers to play well enough to win them all. If they play good but fall just short in a couple, well that is much better than another victory against Little Sisters of the Blind. If that type of win means more to you than how the team plays, I am at a total loss to explain it any better.

I can tell you what I am not concerned about...hoping that NU earns some close losses!

They are favored in 10 out of the 12 games this year. The biggest dog spread they have is +7. They have better talent (according to rankings) than all but one or two teams that they face. I don't see close losses as some great thing. They had 3 close losses last year. I was not thrilled about those either.

You are explaining yourself just fine I just don't understand why you think that way. I could kind of understand if they were playing a few teams where they were 20 point dogs or even double digit dogs but that is not the case.

They are favorites in almost all their games and they might only play 2 ranked teams. I don't get why we should be happy for close losses.

I will continue to be concerned about booze and beave.

I get what you are saying I just do not see how it fits for this upcoming season.

• Fire 5