Things to take away from the BYU game.

Huskers44

Alright, I know everyone has given their opinion and this is my first post. I've been reading these boards all summer.

First off, a few things I was disappointed in.

Not scoring any points in the second and fourth quarters. We need to score in these quarters to win games period.

Pass defense was below average but stepped it up in the 2nd half.

Offensive line was very weak.

Last drive of the game we rushed 3 or 4. Especially the last play I wish we would have blitzed a backer off the left side. Don't on hail mary's the QB's usually roll to their strong arm side? Just strange that I've never seen any coach blitz off that side.

A few positives.

This team has a lot of talent. I was very impressed with Dedrick Young and Josh Banderas they look good. Our line consistently got good pressure, but they just couldn't finish a lot of the time which was kind of unlucky.

Armstrong looks like a better QB. We need to get a run game going though and this could be a special offense. Westerkamp is the most reliable guy on our team. Once Demornay Pierson-El is back this offense will be special.

The energy the blackshirts played with once Sam Foltz went down was amazing. Shows the potential they can have when they get fired up.

All in all I think we showed a lot of upside. I think we won't be a dominant team this year until around Wisconsin, but I'm definitely excited about next year we lose hardly anyone. This team is still a 9-10 win team.

Alright, I know everyone has given their opinion and this is my first post. I've been reading these boards all summer.

First off, a few things I was disappointed in.

Not scoring any points in the second and fourth quarters. We need to score in these quarters to win games period.

Pass defense was below average but stepped it up in the 2nd half.

Offensive line was very weak.

Last drive of the game we rushed 3 or 4. Especially the last play I wish we would have blitzed a backer off the left side. Don't on hail mary's the QB's usually roll to their strong arm side? Just strange that I've never seen any coach blitz off that side.

A few positives.

This team has a lot of talent. I was very impressed with Dedrick Young and Josh Banderas they look good. Our line consistently got good pressure, but they just couldn't finish a lot of the time which was kind of unlucky.

Armstrong looks like a better QB. We need to get a run game going though and this could be a special offense. Westerkamp is the most reliable guy on our team. Once Demornay Pierson-El is back this offense will be special.

The energy the blackshirts played with once Sam Foltz went down was amazing. Shows the potential they can have when they get fired up.

All in all I think we showed a lot of upside. I think we won't be a dominant team this year until around Wisconsin, but I'm definitely excited about next year we lose hardly anyone. This team is still a 9-10 win team.

i won't get excited about next year.......until i see steady improvement with the team THIS YEAR!

ABC and all CFB fans really got their $'s worth in this one as I thought it was the most exciting game of opening weekend. I by and large enjoyed the game and really liked what I saw coming from Langsford and Crew's offensive design and play calling. Liked the combo of pro and spread sets. Thought we could've run the ball more than rely so heavily on TA's arm, but all in all thought the play calling was very good.

I really feel bad for the coaches and team, but hey, that's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes in sports. Being a 1/2 centurian fan, I gotta say that I just can't quite get used to Big Red being just another 2nd tier-ish, "also ran" kind of team/program, but that's kind of where we are and have been for some time and it's frustrating.

But, again, I liked what I saw from the offense and I love Riley's demeanor on the sideline. I think Banker made decent adjustments at halftime as our D pretty much shut them down in the 2nd half, with the exception of the play from hell, of course.

Rising stars: Wilbon(of course), Dedrick Young, Stanley Morgan. I thought they all played very well. We really need a rush end(s) that can chase down mobile QBs though and a DL in general that can produce more sacks, though I thought the DL played pretty darn good the 2nd half.

Well, it was a rather heartbreaking and maddening loss, but hey, it happens, time to move on. The team has really gotta cut down on the penalties though, but this time I'll chalk it up to the "new system" and what not. I'm hoping and counting on an increasingly disciplined team from Riley.

BTW, credit to BYU, they played a great game, they have some excellent players.

Anyway, GBR!

ABC and all CFB fans really got their $'s worth in this one as I thought it was the most exciting game of opening weekend. I by and large enjoyed the game and really liked what I saw coming from Langsford and Crew's offensive design and play calling. Liked the combo of pro and spread sets. Thought we could've run the ball more than rely so heavily on TA's arm, but all in all thought the play calling was very good.

I really feel bad for the coaches and team, but hey, that's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes in sports. Being a 1/2 centurian fan, I gotta say that I just can't quite get used to Big Red being just another 2nd tier-ish, "also ran" kind of team/program, but that's kind of where we are and have been for some time and it's frustrating.

But, again, I liked what I saw from the offense and I love Riley's demeanor on the sideline. I think Banker made decent adjustments at halftime as our D pretty much shut them down in the 2nd half, with the exception of the play from hell, of course.

Rising stars: Wilbon(of course), Dedrick Young, Stanley Morgan. I thought they all played very well. We really need a rush end(s) that can chase down mobile QBs though and a DL in general that can produce more sacks, though I thought the DL played pretty darn good the 2nd half.

Well, it was a rather heartbreaking and maddening loss, but hey, it happens, time to move on. The team has really gotta cut down on the penalties though, but this time I'll chalk it up to the "new system" and what not. I'm hoping and counting on an increasingly disciplined team from Riley.

Anyway, GBR!

I agree with being a 2nd tier team. When looking for the Husker's box score I have to go to a specific conference in and web site because the scores are only shown for top 25 teams. I cannot get used to this. That is the definition of 2nd tier.

Anyway, GBR!

I agree with being a 2nd tier team. When looking for the Husker's ox score I have to go to a specific conference in and web site because the scores are only shown for top 25 teams. I cannot get used to this. That is the definition of 2nd tier.

Yeah, that really bothers me too. I dunno, so much parity, so many teams with great players and coaches. Not sure how we're gonna get to the next level w/o major improvement in recruiting. I'm not blaming the coaches here and not saying we don't have some great players: just need more of them. Recruiting is tough at NE, just a fact of life that's also hard to get used to.