***2015 Game 2 "Expert" Picks: South Alabama @ Nebraska***

Saunders

2015 Game 2 “Expert” Picks: South Alabama @ Nebraska

—————

CollegeFootballNews.com

http://collegefootballnews.com/2015/nebraska-vs-south-alabama-fearless-prediction-preview

It’s the first game of the rest of Nebraska’s life. One pass away from getting out of the BYU opener with a win, now the Huskers have to pick up the pieces and try to start making everything work a little bit better. South Alabama struggled to get past Gardner-Webb, but it got the win. Now it’s time for the Jaguars to go big game hunting and try to take advantage of the wounded animal.

Why You Need To Care

South Alabama is going through a complete gut job having lost QB Brandon Bridge and almost all the key parts on offense, while the defense needs an overhaul after losing nine starters. That’s what the Gardner-Webb game was for. Was it enough of a tune-up? No, but it was still a chance to figure out what might work – and it’s not the passing game quite yet. Even so, there’s just enough athleticism on both sides of the ball to give Nebraska a really big push. The Jaguars can run the ball a bit, at least they’re expected to, and they might be able to catch the Big Red looking ahead. Nebraska gets to go to Miami next week, and it was hoping it was going to make the trip with a 2-0 start and with a chance to get really hot with Southern Miss and Illinois to follow. The BYU loss might have been devastating, but it was more than just the Hail Mary. The Cougars exposed the Husker secondary, and the offense didn’t really work like it was supposed to.

Why South Alabama Will Win

UAB transfer Cody Clements threw two picks in his debut, but he’s a good enough passer to keep the problems going for the Nebraska secondary that allowed 379 yards and three scores – it had problems before the pass. The receiving corps might not be explosive, but there’s enough talent and athleticism to stretch the field a bit. At the very least, USA has the ability to keep pressing.

Why Nebraska Will Win

How did Gardner-Webb keep it so close with the Jaguars? Turnovers. USA gave it up three times and made way too many mistakes overall. The defense did fine against the FCSer, and the offense was okay, but it was a rough outing. The offense couldn’t stay on the field, keeping the ball for just over 21 minutes. Nebraska should be able to grind this out with the running game and let the offensive line do all the work.

Player Who Matters

So how did Tommy Armstrong do in the new offense? More than fine. Could Nebraska turn into more of a passing team while still keeping the same sort of rushing pop from time to time? Armstrong was a bit erratic, but he threw for 319 yards and three touchdowns against BYU. What he didn’t do, though, was run, coming up with just two yards on nine carries. Expect that to change this week.

What’s Going To Happen?

Nebraska will come out fine. South Alabama will be outclassed from the start as the Huskers take out their frustrations after a rough week. The defense will shut down the Jaguars cold for long stretches.

PREDICTION: Nebraska 44 - South Alabama 10

—————

BTN.com

http://btn.com/2015/08/31/week-1-see-our-predictions-for-all-14-big-ten-football-games/

Tom Dienhart: Nebraska 30 - USA 13

Sean Merriman: Nebraska 35 - USA 17

Brent Yarina: Nebraska 44 - USA 14

Zach Osterman: Nebraska 38 - USA 17

—————

ESPN Big Ten Blog

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/123269/big-ten-week-2-game-picks

Brian Bennet: Nebraska

Josh Moyer: Nebraska

Dan Murphy: Nebraska

Mitch Sherman: Nebraska

Jesse Temple: Nebraska

Austin Ward: Nebraska

—————

SBNation/Football Study Hall

http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2015/9/10/9297623/college-football-picks-predictions-tv-schedule

Nebraska 45 - USA 18

—————

Big Red Wrap-Up

http://netnebraska.org/interactive-multimedia/sports/big-red-wrap-south-alabama-prediction

Kevin Kugler: Nebraska 35 - USA 21

Blake Lawrence: Nebraska 42 - USA 21

Sean Callahan: Nebraska 45 - USA 17

—————

Daily Nebraskan

http://www.dailynebraskan.com/sports/dn-sports-desk-nebraska-vs-south-alabama-score-predictions/article_35d4b708-55d1-11e5-b9b3-5390611fe22c.html

Josh Kelly: Nebraska 49 - USA 13

Brett Nierengarten: Nebraska 45 - USA 21

Nick Wilkinson: Nebraska 38 - USA 12

Michael Dixon: Nebraska 56 - USA 21

Vanessa Daves: Nebraska 35 - USA14

—————

• Fire 3

Yeah this needs to be a 50 something to under 20 something type of win. We have GOT to get crisp heading into Miami if we hope to scrape a 3-1 Non Con. record this year.

Conference play...I will wait to pass judgement until after Wisconsin. Our running game concerns me.

This would be great and very well could happen, but I am looking for it to be more like 42-17. Which is still good, but hanging about 56 or so on them would be good for the soul. S. Alabama will have some athletes, just not very many. I am not real sure how much MR is into putting the screws to teams. I would really like to see them come and out be winning about 28-7 at half and then see them put up a couple more in the 3rd and then get some good experience for back ups in the 4th.

I have the Huskers picked 42-13, but I would love to see the upper closer to the 60 mark.

Big plays. We need them. Not only to boost confidence in the running game, but also the defense.

Now, what do we do about our kicker? The two shanked FG's last week was a major downer for Husker Nation. The kid definitely isn't exactly like his big bro.

It's my daughter's first home game this weekend, so I'm down with anything that gets the Sea of Red shaking the Earth.