Overzealous moderating?

The religion of peace meets karma thread got shut down in an awful hurry. I can see where the sentiment expressed by the op about wanting a bigger crane was sure off color but I'm having trouble figuring out exactly what board rule was violated. Especially if you consider the seemingly more expansive latitude given to those who typically attack Christianity on this board.

Can somebody help me out here? Am I missing something important or did zoogs swoop in and shut 'er down maybe prematurely?

That guy obviously woke up one day this week and decided to push things until he got banned, so I suspect the mods were a little more ready to pull the trigger on one of his threads than they might otherwise. zoogs did quote the exact rule violated too. Maybe you don't agree with it but I don't see how you can have trouble figuring out what was clearly stated.

That guy obviously woke up one day this week and decided to push things until he got banned, so I suspect the mods were a little more ready to pull the trigger on one of his threads than they might otherwise. zoogs did quote the exact rule violated too. Maybe you don't agree with it but I don't see how you can have trouble figuring out what was clearly stated.

You might be right, I have not noticed any other posts by that guy. He may very well have pushed it and warranted a short leash.

But if we're relying on the wording about behavior not "offending" based on race, creed, etc., then I would say the policy is not remotely being evenly applied. If he had worn out his welcome, okay, but if it was just the op I saw, like I said, thought it was premature. I've seen dozens way more offensive than that in the P&R forum over the years.

One place (this thread) calls it overzealous moderating. Another place calls for assumes the guy who started that thread to will be banned. LINK So the moderating must be just right. :lol:

btw, I believe the guy is suspended, not banned, which seems appropriate.

Edited by NUance
Wordsmithing for ZRod. lol

Hey! I didn't call for him to be banned! I said I thought he got banned. Either way I don't remember anyone insinuating they would have liked more christian, jews, or hindus to have been kill at some point in time. The guy was trolling hard this week, just go look through his history in here.

The religion of peace meets karma thread got shut down in an awful hurry. I can see where the sentiment expressed by the op about wanting a bigger crane was sure off color but I'm having trouble figuring out exactly what board rule was violated. Especially if you consider the seemingly more expansive latitude given to those who typically attack Christianity on this board.

Can somebody help me out here? Am I missing something important or did zoogs swoop in and shut 'er down maybe prematurely?

When did someone post they were happy a bunch of Christians were killed?

• Fire 4

Hey, I knew I was probably stepping into the cross hairs on this one. And the last thing I want is for anyone to think I'm defending the sentiment expressed about wishing for a larger crane. Like I said, if was definitely off color and really has no place being expressed. But, I thought "technically" what he posted could've cleared the hurdle. Meaning, what he actually wrote, in and of itself, was not bad. It is only after a person follows the link and knows what it is that the op meant does it become clear that it was an opinion that we really don't need to see around here.

The more I think about it, the more I think my initial thoughts are probably wrong. I guess it is fair to place his comments in the context they were intended and then to apply the "offending" standard to them. So, I am sorry zoogs. I've changed my mind and would now say that it was the correct decision.

No worries, JJ. I'm happy to answer any questions, and the discussion is good. There's some discussion internally too about whether this was too harsh, so I wouldn't say you're stepping into any crosshairs at all. I hope I didn't suggest that you were defending the sentiment; I don't think that at all. GBR ;)

• Fire 2

Although I spend most of my time on this forum reading threads about athletics (rarely contributing), I have enjoyed posting in this section because it's fairly tame and reasonable compared to most politics forums on the Internet. The individual who was banned was the archetype angry Internet guy that rants about everything, while contributing nothing useful or interesting, and generally ruining it for people that expect a modicum of civility.

I agree with zoogs. We've got pretty lax rules, but the no bigotry thing is gonna be enforced. He pulled a No True Scotsman argument to justify his post of "karma" regarding people's deaths.

Yeah, any time you need to start arguing for a technicality it seems pretty obvious that someone needs to go. The rules only exist so far as to help common sense - seemed pretty clear to me that the guy's intent was anything but having a real conversation.

I agree with zoogs. We've got pretty lax rules, but the no bigotry thing is gonna be enforced. He pulled a No True Scotsman argument to justify his post of "karma" regarding people's deaths.

As a Scotsman I take offense at the reference of this stereotype. Ach mun, ha' ye no shame? *cue bagpipes* :facepalm:

• Fire 1

As a Scotsman I take offense at the reference of this stereotype. Ach mun, ha' ye no shame? *cue bagpipes* :facepalm:

But no true Scotsman would take offense to the statment.