Defense tech chat---pass coverage, cover 0

Sargon

Man, match up zone, cover 2, quarters........

COVER ZERO....that is what NU does. Cover Zero. Literally.

For the life of me I cannot see any rational reason why "covering" in the way we do is supposed to be an intelligent approach expected to accomplish anything but getting toasted repeatedly.

I intended cover zero to include the sarcastic non-scheme type of cover 0 in that...we literally seem to not actually "cover" receivers. Being within 2-4 yards of a man catching passes unchallenged..and NEVER in front, is what I think of as non-coverage. A literal cover 0. It looks like having a guy or two who should usually be in a tackling position after completely yielding the pitch and catch. And even that isn't working well as the opponents have torched us for yac.

IMO...our pass defense game planning is a DISASTER. Won't work. EVER.

Say I was an opposing OC and observant and a bit cocky. I'd think to myself something like this....skinny, skinny, rb, TE, skinny touchdown.

Next series the first skinny isn't...rather a double move deep corner. And I'd tell the QB if he's rushed....just hang it up to the sideline your guy will be there and be open. I think Banker could get obliterated by ANY good passing team if the OC got ballsy and aggressive enough to punk him like the punk he seems to be.

COVER 0

When the DL has no pass rush of significance and the DB's are on an island, how about at least come up and bump and run. Passing predicted on timing whether on the routes or then pocket can be disrupted by pushing the receiver off his route, out of bounds or into the ground. People will argue that in bump and run, if the receiver gets a step we are burnt. Duh. But we are playing so far off and still getting burnt. This would at least give the DL a second or two to reach the QB instead of giving th recovers a second or two to get open.

The Miami DB's were like lightning bolts. As soon as we caught the ball, bam lit up and hit. Hard. I want that type of D. Sadly our scheme seems to have relegated our best DB in Gerry to an after thought......

#FREEMARVINSANDERS

There was a tweet that Damon Benning sent out yesterday showing our coverage on a 3rd and 1 play. Corners were 5-8 yds off the LOS. Not gonna work covering like that.

I think we have the athletes to play man but we need more safety help. The safeties are so keyed in on stopping the run. Let our D-line and LB (which are both solid groups as a whole) handle the run game and we can commit everyone else to stopping the pass.

The talent we have on the field doesn't match the results we are seeing.

Let our D-line and LB (which are both solid groups as a whole) handle the run game and we can commit everyone else to stopping the pass.

If I had a choice of replacing the D-Line or the DB's, it'd be a real quick decision. There is literally no QB pressure. We can't get to the QB with 4. The worse part is when we bring 6 and get stone walled. It's been like this all 3 games.

Let our D-line and LB (which are both solid groups as a whole) handle the run game and we can commit everyone else to stopping the pass.

If I had a choice of replacing the D-Line or the DB's, it'd be a real quick decision. There is literally no QB pressure. We can't get to the QB with 4. The worse part is when we bring 6 and get stone walled. It's been like this all 3 games.

I agree with you on that. Those groups seem to do fine against the run outside of yesterday. Generating a pass rush is a whole different story.