OWH Chatelain: “Hope and hopelessness"

OWH Chatelain: “Hope and hopelessness"   

94 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Why feel hopeless? Sounds like a crappy perspective to life. I have hope without it why be a fan?

I'm not hopeless when it comes to my perspective on life. I'm just hopeless when it comes to the Husker football team's prospects.

If your whole perspective in life is based on the football team, then you might be in the right place!

Hope. I don't think we are a great team this year but I still think we'll put up a fight in every game.

Don't know why a person would feel hopeless after a hail mary loss and an OT loss, 3 games into a coach's tenure. Snakebit maybe. Hopefully we win some close games this year to even the score.

I wouldn't feel hopeless if it was 3 games into his head coaching career. Unfortunately, he's 296 games into his head coaching career and his record is 148-148.

• Fire 1

Hope. I don't think we are a great team this year but I still think we'll put up a fight in every game.

Don't know why a person would feel hopeless after a hail mary loss and an OT loss, 3 games into a coach's tenure. Snakebit maybe. Hopefully we win some close games this year to even the score.

I think we're paying for all those comeback wins in 2011 and 2012, and the Hail Mary against NW in 2013, unfortunately I think that's the evening out that's happening.

I think we're paying for all those comeback wins in 2011 and 2012, and the Hail Mary against NW in 2013, unfortunately I think that's the evening out that's happening.

Probably. We've had some miraculous wins over the years. I felt like that BYU loss was part of the comeuppance.

Probably. We've had some miraculous wins over the years. I felt like that BYU loss was part of the comeuppance.

I told my father-in-law they would probably complete the pass as a "get-even" for Westerkamp's catch in 2013. I really didn't even get upset about it. I hope that doesn't mean that I have lost hope for this program.

How does the saying go "Hope is not a successful strategy"?

i dont coach the team. I just cheer for them. Ill continue to have hope. Im not losing my job if my hope doesnt win us the conference title.

Umm. My kids and my dogs weren't alive the last time we WON ANYTHING. Conference title? Seems like a great accomplishment right now. That sounds like a good goal.

What a miserable, spoiled, silly attitude to be hopeless. It's like you can't enjoy being a fan of a team if they aren't vying for, or winning, some kind of championship.

There are Purdue fans out there with hope. There are Arkansas State fans out there with hope. There are Kansas fans with hope. Why? Those teams don't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning any kind of title, whether that's conference championship or national championship. If they can't have those, what's the use of hope?

They hope because they have a simple, no-strings-attached love for their team. Nothing more, nothing less.

Those people with "hopelessness" have attached some ridiculous expectation to this team, some benchmark of validation that exists in their own minds, and nowhere else. Nebraska has no right to win anything, not one single game, not one conference title, not one championship. All the money and history and tradition in the world doesn't equate to any expectation of winning anything in the future.

Sometimes I think the best thing for this fan base would be about five straight losing seasons. It'd knock some of this ridiculous baggage off of people, let them just be happy to watch the game, to sit amongst other fans, to have a kickoff on a sunny summer day, nothing more. Let folks get back to understanding what's great about college football.

It isn't X number of wins or championships or trophies, I can guarantee you that.

• Fire 2

What a miserable, spoiled, silly attitude to be hopeless. It's like you can't enjoy being a fan of a team if they aren't vying for, or winning, some kind of championship.

There are Purdue fans out there with hope. There are Arkansas State fans out there with hope. There are Kansas fans with hope. Why? Those teams don't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning any kind of title, whether that's conference championship or national championship. If they can't have those, what's the use of hope?

They hope because they have a simple, no-strings-attached love for their team. Nothing more, nothing less.

Those people with "hopelessness" have attached some ridiculous expectation to this team, some benchmark of validation that exists in their own minds, and nowhere else. Nebraska has no right to win anything, not one single game, not one conference title, not one championship. All the money and history and tradition in the world doesn't equate to any expectation of winning anything in the future.

Sometimes I think the best thing for this fan base would be about five straight losing seasons. It'd knock some of this ridiculous baggage off of people, let them just be happy to watch the game, to sit amongst other fans, to have a kickoff on a sunny summer day, nothing more. Let folks get back to understanding what's great about college football.

It isn't X number of wins or championships or trophies, I can guarantee you that.

Maybe I'm not a fan any more. My main problem is the fact that the program is run by a bunch of pencil neck attorneys that don't know shinola about football. Maybe once that problem is resolved, I will have enough hope to become a fan again.

• Fire 3