408 left us high and dry

RADAR

This makes me laugh. When a coach fails that has been here a while, lots of people say... well, he didn't use the walk on program enough. We've got to have more walk ons.

I heard it at the end of Bo's tenure.

Now we have too many walk ons. Get real people. Please. It's hard on my eyes and ears.

• Fire 1

You can argue we're depleted at DE and LB, and maybe even QB.

Ok, so what about DT, Safety, CB, OL, WR, RB???

Again, I ask for someone to show me how talent is why FAU outrushed us against Miami (at 6.8 ypc, vs 4.8), or why we we kepting matching up a LB on the slot? Or how about the "adjustments" that the staff could make to help Davie didn't happen, so they pulled him?

I think most everyone (who is not trolling) will agree that we have a problem with both talent and coaching (mainly the D scheme) at the moment.

I'd agree with that. What I don't agree with, is the root post. This is EXACTLY what happened in 2008.

"Oh, Bo just needs time to get HIS guys, because we have no talent"

Yeah, no.

We can't argue that the roster is chock full of talent. It is not bereft, either - it's somewhere in the middle. Those shades of gray between "none" and "loaded" are where we're failing.

It is also an issue of coaching. Regardless of the effectiveness/ineffectiveness of schemes, we're dealing with a learning curve.

so that's three things - depth, coaching & learning curve. Two of which were going to be an issue regardless of how much depth we have. That we lack depth in key areas compounds the problem.

Again, I ask for someone to show me how talent is why FAU outrushed us against Miami (at 6.8 ypc, vs 4.8), or why we we kepting matching up a LB on the slot? Or how about the "adjustments" that the staff could make to help Davie didn't happen, so they pulled him?

I think most everyone (who is not trolling) will agree that we have a problem with both talent and coaching (mainly the D scheme) at the moment.

I'd agree with that. What I don't agree with, is the root post. This is EXACTLY what happened in 2008.

Yeah, no.

We can't argue that the roster is chock full of talent. It is not bereft, either - it's somewhere in the middle. Those shades of gray between "none" and "loaded" are where we're failing.

It is also an issue of coaching. Regardless of the effectiveness/ineffectiveness of schemes, we're dealing with a learning curve.

so that's three things - depth, coaching & learning curve. Two of which were going to be an issue regardless of how much depth we have. That we lack depth in key areas compounds the problem.

Agreed, which is why some of the things we're doing are rather perplexing. Make no mistake, we lack elite talent. But let's not kid ourselves by using the "talent" excuse that Bo got for 5 years and sweep all the other issues under the rug.

And coming out yesterday flat as hell, I have no idea what that was. I told my wife during warmups that I thought we would start slow. Miami was hopping around, and seemed excited to be there, Nebraska looked like they were sleep walking through warmups.

This makes me laugh. When a coach fails that has been here a while, lots of people say... well, he didn't use the walk on program enough. We've got to have more walk ons.

I heard it at the end of Bo's tenure.

Now we have too many walk ons. Get real people. Please. It's hard on my eyes and ears.

X2

I'm a bit late to this party, but how can anyone point to talent/coaching and say our losses are due to one or the other? Both coaching and talent contributed to our losses. And probly a half dozen other factors contributed as well. Including, for example, home field advantage, the heat, an incredibly lucky Cane interception, some weird penalty calls, etc.

As for our talent level and the number of walk-ons we have, you all realize that we have perhaps the best walk-on program in the nation, right? It's a testament to our walk-on program that so many made the travel roster, and a few have even worked their way into the starting lineup. And as for Pelini's recruiting, I'm no huge fan of Pelini, but he didn't leave the cupboards entirely bare. Not even close. Sure we have deficits at some positions (LB, OL, CB). But we have bright spots too (RB, DL, WR).

I know we're frustrated that we are sitting on two losses right now. But I think we're also frustrated becausedespite the offseason Kool-Aid binge drinking that we all partook inwe are not an elite program right now. Really, we're not even close. We're probly a 30-something team. And that might be generous. (One ranking has us at 52. LINK :hmmph ) But I'm cautiously optimistic that Riley will pull in the Jimmys and Joes we need to get better. And despite some early season gaffs I think we have a pretty decent staff in place. /end rant

• Fire 3

I didn't realize talent was why we were refusing to go dime defense and putting true frosh LB's on Slot Wr's with no safety help time after time.

Not only is it the reason for this week's loss, but Bo left the cupboard so bare that when Nebraska was up against a freshman quarterback throwing a Hail Mary into the wind, Banker couldn't come up with any more than three guys on the whole team that could pass rush that QB, thereby giving him time and position to heave it almost to the goal line.

DANG THAT BO!!

Hey guys! From now on, let's make all of the BLAME BO posts bright red, bold, size 24 font, and all in caps, for easy identification. Those that are drawn to them will find them easier, and the rest can skip over them easier.

Yeah, no.

Callahan left Bo with plenty of talent and had a fantastic class lined up before he was fired. Riley coming in is most closely related to what Callahan came into in regards to talent. Bo came in much closer to what Solich inherited. They left the program in nearly the same shape talent wise. Frank and 408 were both overall recruiting failures.

I didn't realize talent was why we were refusing to go dime defense and putting true frosh LB's on Slot Wr's with no safety help time after time.

Not only is it the reason for this week's loss, but Bo left the cupboard so bare that when Nebraska was up against a freshman quarterback throwing a Hail Mary into the wind, Banker couldn't come up with any more than three guys on the whole team that could pass rush that QB, thereby giving him time and position to heave it almost to the goal line.

DANG THAT BO!!

Hey guys! From now on, let's make all of the BLAME BO posts bright red, bold, size 24 font, and all in caps, for easy identification. Those that are drawn to them will find them easier, and the rest can skip over them easier.

There is a clear corriliation in recruiting class ranking to were teams finish, in the top 20 or out. A team filled with walkons does not win games or championships, no matter who the coach is. proven over and over............

I agree that talent is not why we lost this game or the BYU game. On the flip side, not trying to be that guy and call players out but Davie would not be starting at most Power 5 programs.

Davie played pretty well last year.

Did that help when Wisconsin put up 408 in 3 quarters??????? Didn't think so. (408 = Defensive Genius Legacy)

All the guys in red are scholarship players.

Janovich, too. So nine of the 24.

They were all walkons coming into the program, Sometimes you give a scollie to a walkon because they deserve it and sometimes you just have some left over to hand out because of failed recruiting. The answer is still 24. Pick out any team in he top 20 and I guarantee you these numbers are not even close.

Yeah, no.

Callahan left Bo with plenty of talent and had a fantastic class lined up before he was fired. Riley coming in is most closely related to what Callahan came into in regards to talent. Bo came in much closer to what Solich inherited. They left the program in nearly the same shape talent wise. Frank and 408 were both overall recruiting failures.

Yes, BC did have higher ranked classes (supported by gigantic classes, in 2005 and 2007 we signed 64 players), but the mantra around the fanbase was that we had little talent and Bo just needed time.

We also faced much, much tougher competition, and that 2008 schedule was not remotely easy.

So, did we get a sudden influx of talent in the 4th quarter on Saturday?

This is what I've been asking since the end of the game.

I'm guessing you'll receive no response.

Combination of Miami letting up and I believe Nebraska was the stronger, better conditioned team in the forth qtr. It also helped that Miami had 2 starters kicked out and lost 1 or 2 more to injury.