Line Play - Miami

Mavric

Every single running play should either be a quick hit to an area of the LOS that is vulnerable or have at least two ways the ball could be going. No, that doesn't have to be an option play. But, there needs to be something that makes the LBs and Safeties hesitate.

The logical one for this play would be a keeper with TA around the right side. However, at least in this picture, it appears there is little to no ball fake even AND, if you never run the keeper, then no reason to respect it as a defense.

It is possible this sets up the keeper for some future point. I guess we will see.

The only reason I don't like the slow developing outside zone plays is because we don't run them very well for a variety of reasons. I think they can still be extremely effective running plays when executed properly. But, as this still image shows, we have nobody blocking what I believe is the backside defender and T. Newby is light years away from the offensive line. Of the five defenders where the back is running, one of them is almost completely unblocked and #13 is in a prime position to make a tackle, too.

Thank you for all the effort. You should be hosting a Husker recap show.

I really dislike the huge scoreboard in the bottom right of the screen. It take up too much space.

This was bothering me too. Did they just change/add that this year? What's wrong with a banner at the top or one of the top corners? It seems like that box in the lower corner always blocks out some of the players.

The only reason I don't like the slow developing outside zone plays is because we don't run them very well for a variety of reasons. I think they can still be extremely effective running plays when executed properly. But, as this still image shows, we have nobody blocking what I believe is the backside defender and T. Newby is light years away from the offensive line. Of the five defenders where the back is running, one of them is almost completely unblocked and #13 is in a prime position to make a tackle, too.

You're going to have to educate me about what is good about a slow developing outside run play that everyone knows is coming.

Good post and photos. I've read posters and articles talking about how poor line play has been, but didn't agree with them. We have a ways to go in improving, but I didn't feel the line has been the weakest link so far on offense. I like your breakdown with still photos.

One thing I would want to see is a bit more rotation on the line--not a ton, but enough where line is ready in case someone goes down with an injury.

You're going to have to educate me about what is good about a slow developing outside run play that everyone knows is coming.

They work at every level of football when executed properly. Adrian Peterson has made a living off outside zone running plays. Toby Gerhart was a great zone runner at Stanford. A lot of teams that utilize a zone running game have had great success running these plays, but when they look bad, they sometimes look really bad. But, that doesn't mean they're useless plays. Any play looks useless when a team doesn't execute it well.

IMHO Nebraska's problems with it are they haven't blocked them overly well and they don't have a back that can use his speed/vision to hit the hole when they need to. Newby is a very tentative running back therefore he's not hitting the LOS and making a play like he's supposed to.

They work at every level of football when executed properly. Adrian Peterson has made a living off outside zone running plays. Toby Gerhart was a great zone runner at Stanford. A lot of teams that utilize a zone running game have had great success running these plays, but when they look bad, they sometimes look really bad. But, that doesn't mean they're useless plays. Any play looks useless when a team doesn't execute it well.

IMHO Nebraska's problems with it are they haven't blocked them overly well and they don't have a back that can use his speed/vision to hit the hole when they need to. Newby is a very tentative running back therefore he's not hitting the LOS and making a play like he's supposed to.

Now that the weekend is over, I'll get back to this discussion.

I can probably name teams who have had great success with just about every single type of offensive play there is in the world. That doesn't answer my question.

Two things you mentioned.

A) We don't have a back that runs it well. Hmmmm...I guess then I would say I don't like the play.

B) We don't block it well. Which gets to my point. It is a play that really puts the O line at a disadvantage.

One thing I will say is that our pass pro has been overall really good. The run blocking is improved. I think they are still figuring out what they do well and what they don't do well. I think you will see Janovich get 4-5 touches a game from here on out. Short yardage I would actually feel better giving him the ball with a another FB in front of him. He really runs well.

One thing I will say is that our pass pro has been overall really good. The run blocking is improved. I think they are still figuring out what they do well and what they don't do well. I think you will see Janovich get 4-5 touches a game from here on out. Short yardage I would actually feel better giving him the ball with a another FB in front of him. He really runs well.

I'm not sure why you would do this when yo have Cross that can run behind Janovich.

A very quick throw by Kaaya - so fast that Young was completely unblocked but couldn't get there in time on the blitz. Davie is a half-step off but makes the tackle after the pass completion.

If I remember the replay that zoomed in on Young, he wasn't really going full speed, as if he was afraid he would miss or lose containment.

Everybody can look at it themselves and see if he did or didn't slow up.

Now that the weekend is over, I'll get back to this discussion.

I can probably name teams who have had great success with just about every single type of offensive play there is in the world. That doesn't answer my question.

Two things you mentioned.

A) We don't have a back that runs it well. Hmmmm...I guess then I would say I don't like the play.

B) We don't block it well. Which gets to my point. It is a play that really puts the O line at a disadvantage.

Well I think it does answer your question - you wanted to know what's good about them and I pointed out a couple of teams off the top of my head that have had great success running them. And by success I mean offensive output and touchdowns. So, that's what is good about them, in my opinion. Schematically, they're just like any run play - they're designed to exploit a weakness in the defense and have the back burst through the line for a big gain. These plays allow the blocking to get set up.

You also posted a very wide-ranging question insinuating that you don't think these particular plays have any value at all and I disagree with you. They do have value if you can do them well.

Whether or not Nebraska should run them is a different argument and I actually agree with you - I don't think Nebraska runs them well. The point of my post was simply to explain these plays can and do work.

» 6.84: Yards per play on offense. That’s 17th nationally and tops in the Big Ten by 0.4 yards, which is a significant gap.

» 5.37: Yards per carry for Nebraska’s run game, and that includes sacks. That’s 27th in the nation and second in the Big Ten. Delete the sacks, and you’re looking at 6.02 yards per carry.

Link

So a lot of people are trying to say that our line is playing poorly and our starting RB isn't very good. Yet somehow we're still 17th in the country in yards per play, 27th in the country in yards per rushing attempt and our actual running game (minus the sacks) is slightly over six yards per carry.

Methinks people are being too critical of those position groups.

» 6.84: Yards per play on offense. That’s 17th nationally and tops in the Big Ten by 0.4 yards, which is a significant gap.

» 5.37: Yards per carry for Nebraska’s run game, and that includes sacks. That’s 27th in the nation and second in the Big Ten. Delete the sacks, and you’re looking at 6.02 yards per carry.

Link

So a lot of people are trying to say that our line is playing poorly and our starting RB isn't very good. Yet somehow we're still 17th in the country in yards per play, 27th in the country in yards per rushing attempt and our actual running game (minus the sacks) is slightly over six yards per carry.

Methinks people are being too critical of those position groups.

I agree. I think the one reason it seems like we are struggling so bad is that when we need to run the ball we cant. A couple well timed jet sweeps and few good Armstrong scrambles and it can make our rushing stats overall look solid. But when we line up and run the ball we have been very inconsistent. I like Newby and think he gets way too much blame. The runs he looks the worst on right now are on outside zone and we are not blocking it very well at all. Surprised that he is at his best running between the tackles and struggles on the perimeter or open field.