Banker = Cosgrove

I listened to a bit of The Bottom Line radio show (Severe and Ganz) and Ganz said that Banker's D is basically Cosgrove's D. The schematics are exactly the same. If Cosgrove's D was out of date 8 years ago then what does that make Banker's D?

I know the concept is to make the offense one dimensional, but if it's so easy to pass against, then why would the offense do anything but line up in shotgun and run play action passes all day?

While Joe loves him some Joe and I question what he says, the results and the eye test seem to lend credence to his words.

Yeah, but don't you think Joe knows what he is seeing when he sees the defense? He only practiced against it for 4 years.

Joe knew today's defense as soon as they lined up. Banker needs to change something, and do it quick.

I'm not denying what he said. He also said that Rileys offense in very similar to Callahans.

I just remember what he said about Josh Freeman, and how that all proved to be untrue.

So if Severe would have said it, you would find the statement more credible? When it comes to X's and O's I would have to think Joe knows what he's talking about. Of course, he isn't some guy on here who is "breaking down the o-line play" from watching the game TV replay.

Bankers D is also Narduzzis D. You know. Ghe one we all drool over.

And Cosgroves D wasnt half this bad his first 4 games. The defense carried the team to their wins that first year.

Where is the disconnect coming from Narduzzi's results and ours? Is it just a talent issue or is there something we are doing differently than what Narduzzi coaches at a fundamental level? Asking in general as I am not well versed in the X and O strategy of a defense. If it is not just talent what things need to be tweaked so we can generate more pressure and start defending the pass at least moderately well?
game 4 in a night and day new scheme vs an established system and culture into its umpteenth years.
  • Fire 1

Bankers D is also Narduzzis D.

We'd be running this defense if Narduzzi was hired instead of Riley/Banker. Maybe Narduzzi could teach it better than Banker, maybe Narduzzi's scheme struggles with these players.Regardless, this is the group of players we have. It's up to the coaches to figure out how to make it work with these guys. No way it's going to be acceptable by Husker Fans to give up 300 yards passing over and over and over.

Just looked up MSU 2007 numbers as that was Narduzzi's first year there. Gave up 250-350 yards to almost everyone the first part of the year. The outliers gave up a ton on the ground (maybe an adjustment that opened up rushing, maybe those teams couldn't pass. I didn't look that up). Maybe it takes awhile? I sure hope that is what's up.

• Fire 3

And Cosgroves D wasnt half this bad his first 4 games. The defense carried the team to their wins that first year.

Where is the disconnect coming from Narduzzi's results and ours? Is it just a talent issue or is there something we are doing differently than what Narduzzi coaches at a fundamental level? Asking in general as I am not well versed in the X and O strategy of a defense. If it is not just talent what things need to be tweaked so we can generate more pressure and start defending the pass at least moderately well?
game 4 in a night and day new scheme vs an established system and culture into its umpteenth years.

Uhm. Michigan is also into game 4 of a new scheme too. They don't seem to have these problems. Game one or two is an anomaly. Game 4 is a pattern and the staff needs to get it fixed.

• Fire 4

We'd be running this defense if Narduzzi was hired instead of Riley/Banker. Maybe Narduzzi could teach it better than Banker, maybe Narduzzi's scheme struggles with these players.Regardless, this is the group of players we have. It's up to the coaches to figure out how to make it work with these guys. No way it's going to be acceptable by Husker Fans to give up 300 yards passing over and over and over.

Just looked up MSU 2007 numbers as that was Narduzzi's first year there. Gave up 250-350 yards to almost everyone the first part of the year. The outliers gave up a ton on the ground (maybe an adjustment that opened up rushing, maybe those teams couldn't pass. I didn't look that up). Maybe it takes awhile? I sure hope that is what's up.

thank you.

So a little patience and we could be working with a great defense, hopefully the players don't give up on it with the early bumps in the road.

We'd be running this defense if Narduzzi was hired instead of Riley/Banker. Maybe Narduzzi could teach it better than Banker, maybe Narduzzi's scheme struggles with these players.

Regardless, this is the group of players we have. It's up to the coaches to figure out how to make it work with these guys. No way it's going to be acceptable by Husker Fans to give up 300 yards passing over and over and over.

It's a good point. And remember MSU without Narduzzi this year has looked vulnerable. They have given up 300+ passing yards in 2 games and 285 vs CMU. The other game was against run heavy Air Force. They gave up 279 yards rushing in that one.

We need to play better, we also need to score TDs instead of settling for FGs on offense. It's 2015, nearly every team can move the ball.

• Fire 1

Not really. Narduzzi doesn't play soft on the corners nearly as much as we do.

Untrue. Boundary corner does play soft. I remember commenting on that before when watching MSU.

Uhm. Michigan is also into game 4 of a new scheme too. They seem to have these problems. Game one or two is an anomaly. Game 4 is a pattern and the staff needs to get it fixed.

the coaches cant coach out of their realm and confort zone forever. If it doesnt happen now itll happen later. Were 4 games in. Stick with the process. Hitting the panic button anx questioning your own system for the sake of changes now is not good at all. Implement your system. Man. You wanna talk about complicating things.
  • Fire 1

I'd put our talent up against 2007 MSU in a heartbeat.

It's a combination. We can't discount the fact that this is a new coordinator coaching a scheme to players that have 1) only been studying it for 6-8 months and 2) weren't recruited by said coach. This is the biggest problem, more so than talent or something we do fundamentally different. The players are learning a new language and trying not to make mistakes.

So, in a nut shell, that should answer your question. Guys are missing their assignments pretty badly and we're still not getting a consistent pressure against opposing QB's - some of that was on the offense for sputtering and some of that is on the defense. That said, there are persistent problems that haven't been fixed that I thought would've shown a bit more progress by now.

The thing that drives me absolutely nuts is our corner just don't make plays on the ball at all. Sometimes it's not that they're even out of position - they just flat out don't make a play. I can't remember for certain who it was, but, just before Kalu got called for that ridiculous pass interference, So. Miss almost scored a touchdown on a crossing route. Fortunately, their WR dropped the ball, but we had a corner right there to make a play.

There were also several plays where our guy could've either knocked a pass down or jumped up to make a play and they just didn't. This game made it pretty obvious to me that it's not just a lack of pressure creating problems for the secondary - this seconday just doesn't effectively make a play on the ball.

Not really. Narduzzi doesn't play soft on the corners nearly as much as we do.

Untrue. Boundary corner does play soft. I remember commenting on that before when watching MSU.

with inside technique. Use the boundry. Cuz theres no help in the middle. And big plays will happen.