Banker = Cosgrove

Here is another concern. I remember the talking heads talking about how important it was the first game (maybe first few) to have the new system, be successful. (I am assuming both O and D) This was needed to give the team confidence in the ability of Riley and Co. I wonder if the D, after getting torched for over 1500 yards through the air in 4 games is questioning the scheme on D and really doubting what the coaches are saying. Throw in quotes from Banker and Stewart and you have folks saying the "right" things, but having no way to fix.

Banker spoke preseason about using a safety in the box to help against the run and keeping one safety high. Who has been the other safety besides Gerry? Which one is in the box?

I didn't want to start a new thread, but was Gerry one of the guys that Riley said was sick? I hope so is that might have been his worst game as a Husker. He looked out of place. I hope that this new scheme hasn't effectively taken Gerry out of "position".

This +1000.

We know for a fact that OSU fans wanted Banker out at DC because of consistently poor defensive showings. We are seeing Banker come up with zero answers and look as clueless as Cosgrove on the sidelines as to why his D is not performing.

We've already been on this ride before--I'd rather we cut to the chase, and at the end of the season, Riley is asked by the boosters to look for a new DC or leave. 'Cause we as a program don't have time to repeat the mistakes of the past.

This thread makes me chuckle cuz Cosgrove really wasnt that bad prior to '07. It's so revisionist. Hell our defense in '06 is very good. NC quality. Yeah, the train went of the rails in '07, but the problems were well beyond Cosgrove.

Hows about we compare Banker to Pelini. Bo had a hell of a lot worse defensive performances than Cosgrove did. Or is Suh still to big in the mirror for such a thing?

• Fire 6

I figured having other coaches on the defensive staff with coordinator experience would be very beneficial in helping our guys get comfy in the new scheme and overcoming any hiccups like we are seeing. Who else in the country has 3 guys on one side of the ball that has been a coordinator at a D1 program? Has to help right?..... Right?!

This thread makes me chuckle cuz Cosgrove really wasnt that bad prior to '07. It's so revisionist. Hell our defense in '06 is very good. NC quality. Yeah, the train went of the rails in '07, but the problems were well beyond Cosgrove.

Hows about we compare Banker to Pelini. Bo had a hell of a lot worse defensive performances than Cosgrove did. Or is Suh still to big in the mirror for such a thing?

Whether Cosgrove was good or bad prior to 2007, he was still used as the scapegoat.

I figured having other coaches on the defensive staff with coordinator experience would be very beneficial in helping our guys get comfy in the new scheme and overcoming any hiccups like we are seeing. Who else in the country has 3 guys on one side of the ball that has been a coordinator at a D1 program? Has to help right?..... Right?!

Maybe it will. But not immediately. And not without a legit pass rush and a revolving door day to day at linebacker.

Does yesterday's performance vindicate Daniel Davie? He didn't even see the field on Special Teams yesterday.

I don't think vindicate would be the correct word because it commonly insinuates the person who has been 'vindicated' did nothing wrong. I would say yesterday's performance explains Davie in the sense that the whole secondary is struggling, so, the problems seem to be more structural than personnel.

• Fire 1

I don't think Banker = Cosgrove. Cosgrove did awesome with the leftovers players from the previous regime but was giving up 60 to 70 points a game by his final season. Banker's Pass D has been atrocious, but the problem seems to be almost completely pass D related. I remember Cosgroves D being horrible all the way around. Maybe I'm wrong.

Yes Cosgrove and Banker might run similar schemes but we haven't given up 50 or 60 or 70 to a team like Kansas/Ball State/K-State....yet.

Maybe it will. But not immediately. And not without a legit pass rush and a revolving door day to day at linebacker.

They are in a tough situation missing Bando, Rose-Ivey, Valentine, and Gangwish all at the same time. Plus losing Newby during the game yesterday. All that talent being gone makes generating a pass rush that much harder. I'm hoping they can put their heads together and come up with something to relieve the pressure on our corners with more zone or something.