Banker = Cosgrove

I watched a bit of the BYU Michigan game. Michigan had rheir corners right up. On those big receivers jamming them at he line essentially taking away Thor long free pass plays that we live to let teams have. I am just wondering why our outmatched secondary doesn't equalize theism arch by getting more physical? We see us let the other team catch balls in space with no fear of getting popped. How many passes have we broken up with a good hit like Miami did to us all day?

Here is another concern. I remember the talking heads talking about how important it was the first game (maybe first few) to have the new system, be successful. (I am assuming both O and D) This was needed to give the team confidence in the ability of Riley and Co. I wonder if the D, after getting torched for over 1500 yards through the air in 4 games is questioning the scheme on D and really doubting what the coaches are saying. Throw in quotes from Banker and Stewart and you have folks saying the "right" things, but having no way to fix.

Banker spoke preseason about using a safety in the box to help against the run and keeping one safety high. Who has been the other safety besides Gerry? Which one is in the box?

I didn't want to start a new thread, but was Gerry one of the guys that Riley said was sick? I hope so is that might have been his worst game as a Husker. He looked out of place. I hope that this new scheme hasn't effectively taken Gerry out of "position".

This +1000.

We know for a fact that OSU fans wanted Banker out at DC because of consistently poor defensive showings. We are seeing Banker come up with zero answers and look as clueless as Cosgrove on the sidelines as to why his D is not performing.

We've already been on this ride before--I'd rather we cut to the chase, and at the end of the season, Riley is asked by the boosters to look for a new DC or leave. 'Cause we as a program don't have time to repeat the mistakes of the past.

I was disappointed to hear that we had another poor defensive showing yesterday and was ready to skewer Banker. But looking at the stats I can see why Banker might have looked confused on the sideline. We are giving up 380 passing yds/gm. OSU's defense in recent years never averaged more than 250. Maybe our boys need to step it up before someone starts to think the Beavers were simply more talented.

This thread makes me chuckle cuz Cosgrove really wasnt that bad prior to '07. It's so revisionist. Hell our defense in '06 is very good. NC quality. Yeah, the train went of the rails in '07, but the problems were well beyond Cosgrove.

Hows about we compare Banker to Pelini. Bo had a hell of a lot worse defensive performances than Cosgrove did. Or is Suh still to big in the mirror for such a thing?

It was pretty good, but tell me if this doesn't look eerily familiar to what we've seen these first four games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToNz0AeKOlg?t=148

I listened to a bit of The Bottom Line radio show (Severe and Ganz) and Ganz said that Banker's D is basically Cosgrove's D. The schematics are exactly the same. If Cosgrove's D was out of date 8 years ago then what does that make Banker's D?

I know the concept is to make the offense one dimensional, but if it's so easy to pass against, then why would the offense do anything but line up in shotgun and run play action passes all day?

While Joe loves him some Joe and I question what he says, the results and the eye test seem to lend credence to his words.

Yeah, but don't you think Joe knows what he is seeing when he sees the defense? He only practiced against it for 4 years.

Joe knew today's defense as soon as they lined up. Banker needs to change something, and do it quick.

I'm not denying what he said. He also said that Rileys offense in very similar to Callahans.

I just remember what he said about Josh Freeman, and how that all proved to be untrue.

So if Severe would have said it, you would find the statement more credible? When it comes to X's and O's I would have to think Joe knows what he's talking about. Of course, he isn't some guy on here who is "breaking down the o-line play" from watching the game TV replay.

I'm not saying Severe is more credible or that Joe doesn't know what he's talking about. I'm not even saying that what he said is untrue and not to believe him, I'm just saying that Joe likes to talk, and he stretches the truth from time to time.

That's all, no big deal or anything.

I'm not saying Severe is more credible or that Joe doesn't know what he's talking about. I'm not even saying that what he said is untrue and not to believe him, I'm just saying that Joe likes to talk, and he stretches the truth from time to time.

That's all, no big deal or anything.

Yep. Joe has always liked to embellish and hyperbolize stories.

• Fire 1

Does yesterday's performance vindicate Daniel Davie? He didn't even see the field on Special Teams yesterday.

It had better. The kid got trashed, when he's been pretty decent up until this year.
Most logic in this thread. I might have missed it, but I don't see anything about no pass rush and LBs that are getting roasted in pass coverage.

THEY NEED PLAYERS! I think it's one or the other due to talent. Stop the run or pass. I think what they are doing is the lesser of two evils.

IMHO, when all, and I mean all, of our DBs look lost and underperform, it is either scheme or coaching. Davie is a fast individual who was getting beat due to getting turned around or juked inside or outside. Many are playing too far off or caught thinking someone else would pick up their wr if they let them go. Have you seen the pluto-sized holes in this pass-D? They are lost in the new scheme. Banker needs to adjust his scheme to fit the players, and then slowly implement the scheme as he teaches the players the fundamentals to make his work. It is being lost that causes the player frustration, and in turn, leads to the huge amount of penalties. How many games will it takes before he adjusts? I am not saying we should fire him, but believing in a system is not the same a having a successful system. Four games in and same horrific result. It is insanity to do the same thing over and over and expect a different result.

Does yesterday's performance vindicate Daniel Davie? He didn't even see the field on Special Teams yesterday.

In a big way. Here is this little gem about how "bad" Davie was/is. Let the numbers sink in........

A shaky pass defense got a little shakier, although it was decent enough for three quarters. Then it totally fell apart in the fourth, when quarterback Nick Mullens threw for 245 of his 447 passing yards. And 3 TD's..........

People were screaming for Davie's head when he gave up 147 in 2 quarters......

Its the scheme folks.....

• Fire 1

Honest question - has anyone actually watched Michigan State play enough to know that we're even ATTEMPTING to run the same types of coverages they are? Or are we just taking someone's word from it from 8 months ago.

I am extremely doubtful that this is what they run. But I haven't watched them enough to know.

I posted this in another thread, but it fully explains why our defense is as putrid as it is.. Another of 408's recruits that Banker has to work with.

https://vine.co/v/exwiiQtWYEd

Speed kills, molasses is well, just molasses!

This is excellent. I didn't see this play, but I saw two were Malik stunted 3 yards to the outside of the DE. This basically took him out of the play and completely renders him useless in a quick drop.

I posted this in another thread, but it fully explains why our defense is as putrid as it is.. Another of 408's recruits that Banker has to work with.

We have 3 on staff who have held the title of defensive coordinator, a head coach with an alleged reputation in talent development and a staff full of "experienced teachers"........so I'll assume they have the knowledge and ability to play the right personnel and get them fully ready to play.

• Fire 1

This is excellent. I didn't see this play, but I saw two were Malik stunted 3 yards to the outside of the DE. This basically took him out of the play and completely renders him useless in a quick drop.

This also makes you scratch your head as to why they would even take a chance dropping McMullen back into pass coverage which I saw on one of the USM big plays.

We have 3 on staff who have held the title of defensive coordinator, a head coach with an alleged reputation in talent development and a staff full of "experienced teachers"........so I'll assume they have the knowledge and ability to play the right personnel and get them fully ready to play.

I'm not sure we have anyone else unless we burn a redshirt.