Banker = Cosgrove

David, Gerry and Cockrell were part of a pass defense that finished ranked 35th in the season. The fact that they're part of a group that's ranked dead last now tells me it's mostly a scheme, attitude and execution problem right now. The talent could certainly be better, but unless you're Alabama, just about everybody's talent could be better. Not having Gregory and being thin at linebacker makes problems worse in the secondary.

This is really where you hope Riley's reputation of being able to develop talent pulls through. Teams with less collective talent than Nebraska have won conference titles which means the Huskers really aren't that far off from being able to compete.

• Fire 4

David, Gerry and Cockrell were part of a pass defense that finished ranked 35th in the season. The fact that they're part of a group that's ranked dead last now tells me it's mostly a scheme, attitude and execution problem right now. The talent could certainly be better, but unless you're Alabama, just about everybody's talent could be better. Not having Gregory and being thin at linebacker makes problems worse in the secondary.

This is really where you hope Riley's reputation of being able to develop talent pulls through. Teams with less collective talent than Nebraska have won conference titles which means the Huskers really aren't that far off from being able to compete.

I totally agree with most of what you're saying, but honestly I either want to clarify your point, or make a point of my own that you may or may not agree with.

When we say it's 'mostly scheme' I disagree, but I don't know how you intend that to mean. To me, yes it's a scheme issue but the reason is not the overall philosophy or the design, it's the fact that we are purely not executing it yet. Yes, those guys you listed are part of success's in the past, but that's in a scheme that committed 7 guys to pass coverage and had safety help over the top constantly. I'm not saying it's easy to succeed in that type of pass defense, but it's much harder to fail.

We are putting some of these same guys, who are fairly talented yes, in an entirely different position and a much more difficult one. There are things these guys are being asked to do that they've not really ever done at this level. In Bo's defense we kept a lot of things in front of us, or we knew we had help. It was hard for opposing QB's to find passing lanes because we simply had so many guys covering space.

These guys are now being asked to read the receiver, watch their eyes, use their hands and play the ball all at once. They're being challenged in an entirely different way.

So yes, we do have some talent, not as much as I'd like, and yes it is scheme, but we are four games in and no sane person could possibly think there won't be struggles when moving from a pass defense like Bo's to one like Bankers. It's gonna hurt a bit, or apparently a lot.

You've got to ask yourself though, what do we sacrifice if we start to ask less of the players, and more of the scheme in pass defense? In the Big Ten, I still say it's stop the run first. How much confusion do you add to the situation if we start altering what we do? Sure, Banker could change things up, but I think he obviously expects these guys to be able to do this. Other teams do this very same thing you guys. Just watch SEC football on the weekend. I hate saying that, but they've got the guys who look back, stride for stride with those receivers, and knock those balls down, and they do it all the time.

• Fire 2

I totally agree with most of what you're saying, but honestly I either want to clarify your point, or make a point of my own that you may or may not agree with.

When we say it's 'mostly scheme' I disagree, but I don't know how you intend that to mean. To me, yes it's a scheme issue but the reason is not the overall philosophy or the design, it's the fact that we are purely not executing it yet. Yes, those guys you listed are part of success's in the past, but that's in a scheme that committed 7 guys to pass coverage and had safety help over the top constantly. I'm not saying it's easy to succeed in that type of pass defense, but it's much harder to fail.

We are putting some of these same guys, who are fairly talented yes, in an entirely different position and a much more difficult one. There are things these guys are being asked to do that they've not really ever done at this level. In Bo's defense we kept a lot of things in front of us, or we knew we had help. It was hard for opposing QB's to find passing lanes because we simply had so many guys covering space.

These guys are now being asked to read the receiver, watch their eyes, use their hands and play the ball all at once. They're being challenged in an entirely different way.

So yes, we do have some talent, not as much as I'd like, and yes it is scheme, but we are four games in and no sane person could possibly think there won't be struggles when moving from a pass defense like Bo's to one like Bankers. It's gonna hurt a bit, or apparently a lot.

You've got to ask yourself though, what do we sacrifice if we start to ask less of the players, and more of the scheme in pass defense? In the Big Ten, I still say it's stop the run first. How much confusion do you add to the situation if we start altering what we do? Sure, Banker could change things up, but I think he obviously expects these guys to be able to do this. Other teams do this very same thing you guys. Just watch SEC football on the weekend. I hate saying that, but they've got the guys who look back, stride for stride with those receivers, and knock those balls down, and they do it all the time.

its all about speed, our guys are slowwww...........watch an SEC game, then watch us......our guys know they are going to get torched.

Here are our weaknesses', Many still want to throw Banker under the bus and yet look what 408 gave him to work with. I love the kids and they are doing the best that they can,but for the most part, nobody of any substance wanted most of these kids. Its TALENT!!! Banker is working with 408's grocery's to make his meals. Wait until he makes a couple of trips to HyVee and fills his own shopping cart before we judge.

Cockrell: MTSU, Northern Colorado, Southern Miss (garbage offers)

Davie: KU, North Dakota St., Ohio (garbage offers)

Gerry: ASU, Iowa, ISU, Michigan St., Minnesota (legit offers)

Chris Jones: Florida A&M, Florida International, Indiana, UMass, Middle Tennessee St., Presbyterian, South Florida, Western Kentucky, Western Michigan.

Kalu: Arkansas St., CU, Duke, Houston, Louisiana Lafayette, SMU, Texas St., Texas-San Antonio, Wake, Washington St.

Mosley: Baylor, Oklahoma, SMU, Texas St. (2 good offers)

K. Williams: BYU, California, Colorado, Iowa, Indiana, Louisiana-Monroe, Tulsa.

Ya know, if you wanted to build Riley up, this would be the exact opposite way to do it.

The players read social media, like it or not. When they see crap like this spewed from keyboard jockeys who never saw the business side of the sidelines, it is not a motivator. It is a demotivator. A demotivated team plays worse than a motivated team. The worse the results, the worse Riley looks.

You are helping to make Riley look worse.

So facts = crap I had a son that played college football and a daughter that played college volleyball, don't lecture me, it only makes you look worse. If social media demotivated the players then we are worse off than I thought. They should be motivating themselves to be the best they can be, not looking for excuses.

Umm, your subjective opinion about the talent level of college aged football players is not "fact".

• Fire 1

Yea, but also, it's called 'bump and run' for a reason. There's supposed to be a 'bump'. We lack a bit of physicality, and that goes back a ways. We had a former coach once talk about it.

Playing CB in this type of system can be an instinctual thing too. Sometimes some guys just have 'it', and sometimes guys have got to get 'it' real quick or they get their ass torched. If you don't have 'it' the only way you're gonna get it is by being challenged.

Some people forget, this is kind of a project in the works. We are building something. Keep convincing yourselves that these coaches were gonna come in and this would be a finished product in half a season. Good for you, it won't do you any good.

These guys are building for the future. I think they're gonna try it their way for awhile, and if it doesn't work, then I will respect them if they make some changes to ensure success, but this early in the game, I don't expect a coach to just scrap it.

Now three, four, five, six, seven years down the road we are watching different guys get beat by the same stuff, and no changes are being made, well then we've got ourselves another jackass and we are kind of getting accustomed to sending jackasses packing around here.

That's mostly what I was getting at. I'll try to make an analogy as best I can - it's kind of like cooking a meal. You follow one cookbook for years that tells you how to do stuff to make it just the way you want. You know you're able to cook what's in the book, but, you've also learned how to experiment and try some things to make dishes unique.

Then, your cookbook gets burned and you have to buy a new one. This cookbook is asking you to 'cook', but not in the way you're used to. The way to cook things is a bit different, and perhaps there are some flavors added in that you've never seen or experienced. Furthermore, this cookbook might have some language you're not used to. So, you're going to spend a lot of time checking the book and reading it before you feel comfortable taking control of your cooking again.

It's not the best analogy and I plead for anyone not to find holes in it haha... I probably wouldn't be able to defend my analogy. All I'm saying is things are a lot different and I think it'll take time IMO.

If things don't get better after awhile then it's time to make changes.

• Fire 1

That's mostly what I was getting at. I'll try to make an analogy as best I can - it's kind of like cooking a meal. You follow one cookbook for years that tells you how to do stuff to make it just the way you want. You know you're able to cook what's in the book, but, you've also learned how to experiment and try some things to make dishes unique.

Then, your cookbook gets burned and you have to buy a new one. This cookbook is asking you to 'cook', but not in the way you're used to. The way to cook things is a bit different, and perhaps there are some flavors added in that you've never seen or experienced. Furthermore, this cookbook might have some language you're not used to. So, you're going to spend a lot of time checking the book and reading it before you feel comfortable taking control of your cooking again.

It's not the best analogy and I plead for anyone not to find holes in it haha... I probably wouldn't be able to defend my analogy. All I'm saying is things are a lot different and I think it'll take time IMO.

great cooks dont need cookbooks....
  • Fire 1

The cookbook was an analogy for a scheme and coach. Every player has a scheme and coach they're following.

I said don't try and blow holes in the analogy, dammit!

In the Big Ten, I still say it's stop the run first.

I couldn't agree with you more. All this defense is missing is a faster, more aggressive pass rush from the line. That will come in time with recruiting and comfort in the system.

Also, our corners must get used to being out on an island, and most importantly know when to play press and when to play off. Situational football.

This depends on the system. Some systems are very specific on when they want their corners playing press, others leave it up to the players themselves. Charlie McBride's defense in the 90's left it up to each individual player. This worked because of how aggressive those defenses were with their blitz packages.

In the end though, if you want to build the foundation of a dominant defense, in my opinion you always have to stop the run first.

Terrible cooks don't either

• Fire 2

its all about speed, our guys are slowwww...........watch an SEC game, then watch us......our guys know they are going to get torched.

Or just watch the Miami game again.

• Fire 1