Banker = Cosgrove

OSU fans begged for years from Banker to be fired. Instead, we gave him a chance of scenery and a hefty payraise. I knew this was going to be an issue when we first hired him. I'm sure Riley talked to him and said, "OK Mark, I'm giving you a chance -- don't make me look bad" and Banker pretty much assured him that he wouldn't. However, you can't make a bad coach a good coach overnight, and his lack of coaching skills are apparent. It was chivalrous and loyal of Riley to give his buddy an opportunity, but the experiment has failed and must be remedied at the end of the season, no excuses.

• Fire 1

I know we have Gerry and he's pretty awesome -- a star in the making.

There's decent players and a number of them in the secondary. It isn't a position that is hurting. When players are struggling there are other guys to turn to -- perhaps even burned redshirts, if need be. That said, it's also a position that is full of a bunch of dudes who are Just Another Guy. Individually and collectively, they and the coaches can put things together (skills, confidence, and scheme) as they acclimate to this new defense. Elite level? Well, maybe, if some more guys break out as stars.

Or they might not. Look, it's been real ugly early. And it's probably going to be a work in progress for a while. Can't help but wonder if some better front four play, or some more confidence-building momentum, is all that is needed to start turning things around a little bit.

Funny how when I used to complain about Bo's recruiting classes, everyone told me that I was in the minority and that the classes were good... now, all of a sudden, they're all garbage.

Well, hate to say it, but the current class isn't looking too good either. I don't know why it's so difficult to figure out that without a proven legit recruiter on board, we're not going to get any better. Not getting Orgeron, when he had expressed his interest in coming here, what a HUGE mistake. Should've jumped on him while we had the chance. An excellent recruiter with southern ties, and a solid DC to boot. We sure as heck would be better off on defense and from a recruiting standpoint than we are right now. Just look at what he's done so far at LSU.

Funny how when I used to complain about Bo's recruiting classes, everyone told me that I was in the minority and that the classes were good... now, all of a sudden, they're all garbage.

Well, hate to say it, but the current class isn't looking too good either. I don't know why it's so difficult to figure out that without a proven legit recruiter on board, we're not going to get any better. Not getting Orgeron, when he had expressed his interest in coming here, what a HUGE mistake. Should've jumped on him while we had the chance. An excellent recruiter with southern ties, and a solid DC to boot. We sure as heck would be better off on defense and from a recruiting standpoint than we are right now. Just look at what he's done so far at LSU.

Not sure who you were listening to, but they mostly were not good, the first 4 were really bad.. It is way to early to say this class is not looking good, in fact, I think it has a lot of promise. Riley said he only wanted to fill half the class until fall football season was over to see who got better and who got worse during the season.

This is a thread to discuss whether Banker is the 2nd coming of Cosgrove, not a pissing contest. If you want to yell and scream at each other, there's a place in the woodshed for it and you can PM any mod to get the password. Keep the discussion on track, and this goes for all the other threads too. If you can't post constructively, then don't post at all.

• Fire 2

I posted this in another thread, but it fully explains why our defense is as putrid as it is.. Another of 408's recruits that Banker has to work with.

https://vine.co/v/exwiiQtWYEd

Speed kills, molasses is well, just molasses!

You coach what you've got. If McMullen is too slow for DE, move him. You're the DC, you have that option, right? Obviously Banker sees no problems there. That's a coaching problem. Your Bo hatred has reached obsessive levels and counseling seems needed.

I'm still not sure where all the worship for MSU's defense comes from, Beck's offense made it look pretty porous when we didn't kill ourselves with penalties and stupid turnovers. If we start leaking out lots of run yardage in conference play I'm not sure patience will be enough.

I have no obsession, just pointing out why we are in the situation that he left us in. They are his players, Banker is trying to make the most of it.

If you move him, who is the replacement, your suggestions please.

Bo's players are in Youngstown. These are now Bankers players if he is the coach. The blanket excuse of "no talent" is weak. Experienced coaches should be able to compensate for the troubles we are having. Wasn't that the knock on Bo? Inability to adjust the defense to the run? If over 1500yds passing in 4 games is "the most of it" we'll probably be helping the rest of the B1G pad their passing stats.

As a former player tweeted, "you can't judge Riley's meal made with 408's grocery's. As much as many of you bolievers want to bash the current staff, They have to try to put a competitive team on the field with what they got until they can recruit better talent.

I will answer the question I posed to Rex, there is nobody else because in the last 4 years, 408 was lazy and didn't bring in anybody better. We play with what we got.

Oh crap... what does one do when confronted with the infinite collection of wisdom known as Twitter? And yeah, you did spell groceries wrong. Might get back with Shanle and see which one of you pooched that one. :rickjames

Recruiting was hardly lazy. :bs: That's just ...your angst bubbling over. Why would MR go to such lengths to save garbage recruits that won't fit the system? Doesn't seem like something a smart coach would do. Maybe you should tweet MR and clue him in. Better yet tweet the whole Def. Line and let them know that you and Shanle have determined that they lack any talent and might just be better off moving on down the road so the genius of Banker can shine through? :thumbs

Nice that you use twitter as a straw man to get away from the subject. Never said all of his recruits were bad, but Riley and Langsdorf did do one smart thing a toss the qb from Texas that was playing JV ball. Looks like the qb they have recruited this year is a stud. But back to some substance. You are right that Riley busted his ass to save the class with what little time he had to do it. If you remember, 408 lost most of the top 10 class that Callahan had put together before he was fired, a little effort from him and he would have at least had one more year of Callahan recruits to lean on.

Keep it coming, I got all night!

You introduced Twitter. I dismissed it. :dunno

The only real straw man is your repeated Bo references. It's in every thread and response you make. A straw man is something you make up as an incredible foe so that you can beat it down yourself in order to present yourself as the slayer of great evil. Face it man, you hoist it in every thread, in every post. For all your hatred of the man, he is far up in your head he OWNS you. The defense of MR just seems like a means to an end. That end being justifying your hate for a guy who is hundreds of miles away now.

Try this little test. Pretend for a moment Pelini is still the coach. It probably makes you a bit queasy, but choke it down or get a bucket for a few moments while we try this out. Looking at the play and results of the last four games, would you have a problem with the defensive scheme? That is the issue people are kvetching about not scratching at their Pelini scars. So let the Boliever-lover crap go, it's stale and serves nothing.

• Fire 1

I posted this in another thread, but it fully explains why our defense is as putrid as it is.. Another of 408's recruits that Banker has to work with.

You coach what you've got. If McMullen is too slow for DE, move him. You're the DC, you have that option, right? Obviously Banker sees no problems there. That's a coaching problem. Your Bo hatred has reached obsessive levels and counseling seems needed.

I'm still not sure where all the worship for MSU's defense comes from, Beck's offense made it look pretty porous when we didn't kill ourselves with penalties and stupid turnovers. If we start leaking out lots of run yardage in conference play I'm not sure patience will be enough.

I have no obsession, just pointing out why we are in the situation that he left us in. They are his players, Banker is trying to make the most of it.

Bo's players are in Youngstown. These are now Bankers players if he is the coach. The blanket excuse of "no talent" is weak. Experienced coaches should be able to compensate for the troubles we are having. Wasn't that the knock on Bo? Inability to adjust the defense to the run? If over 1500yds passing in 4 games is "the most of it" we'll probably be helping the rest of the B1G pad their passing stats.

As a former player tweeted, "you can't judge Riley's meal made with 408's grocery's. As much as many of you bolievers want to bash the current staff, They have to try to put a competitive team on the field with what they got until they can recruit better talent.

I will answer the question I posed to Rex, there is nobody else because in the last 4 years, 408 was lazy and didn't bring in anybody better. We play with what we got.

Oh crap... what does one do when confronted with the infinite collection of wisdom known as Twitter? And yeah, you did spell groceries wrong. Might get back with Shanle and see which one of you pooched that one. :rickjames

Recruiting was hardly lazy. :bs: That's just ...your angst bubbling over. Why would MR go to such lengths to save garbage recruits that won't fit the system? Doesn't seem like something a smart coach would do. Maybe you should tweet MR and clue him in. Better yet tweet the whole Def. Line and let them know that you and Shanle have determined that they lack any talent and might just be better off moving on down the road so the genius of Banker can shine through? :thumbs

Nice that you use twitter as a straw man to get away from the subject. Never said all of his recruits were bad, but Riley and Langsdorf did do one smart thing a toss the qb from Texas that was playing JV ball. Looks like the qb they have recruited this year is a stud. But back to some substance. You are right that Riley busted his ass to save the class with what little time he had to do it. If you remember, 408 lost most of the top 10 class that Callahan had put together before he was fired, a little effort from him and he would have at least had one more year of Callahan recruits to lean on.

The only real straw man is your repeated Bo references. It's in every thread and response you make. A straw man is something you make up as an incredible foe so that you can beat it down yourself in order to present yourself as the slayer of great evil. Face it man, you hoist it in every thread, in every post. For all your hatred of the man, he is far up in your head he OWNS you. The defense of MR just seems like a means to an end. That end being justifying your hate for a guy who is hundreds of miles away now.

Try this little test. Pretend for a moment Pelini is still the coach. It probably makes you a bit queasy, but choke it down or get a bucket for a few moments while we try this out. Looking at the play and results of the last four games, would you have a problem with the defensive scheme? That is the issue people are kvetching about not scratching at their Pelini scars. So let the Boliever-lover crap go, it's stale and serves nothing.

As I have said in many a post, it is in context with the reason we are 2-2 and not looking the best at all times. Many want to just lay it at the feet of Riley and Banker. You can't do that without any real perspective.

As I have said in many a post, it is in context with the reason we are 2-2 and not looking the best at all times. Many want to just lay it at the feet of Riley and Banker. You can't do that without any real perspective. I will defend that point daily if necessary because the irrational posters here want to paint a false pretense.

He's the (disappointing/sad/maddening) part for me:

There is a lot of talk about "we're built to stop the run", "we won't see so many passing offenses in the B1G", etc. Banker was a DC in probably the most pass-happy conference for the previous 12 years. It's not like he's never seen teams that throw the ball before. The fact that he is unwilling/unable to make any scheme adjustments doesn't speak highly for his ability as a DC. And it kind of shoots down all the "these coaches have experience" and "these coaches make adjustments" arguments that we've been sold for the last 9 months. At least as far as the defense is concerned.

• Fire 4

Don't remember Cosgrove being so rigid like Banker. If we know they're going to chuck it around 90%, why not go straight dime and get all the speed on the field you can? Just like last year vs Wisky. If they've gashed us 2 or 3 times with simple power, ISO or traps, maybe get some bigger bodies up on the line and forget about 2 high safeties? I liked the boundary corner blitzes (pelini staple?), and you could do that a lot more in a dime rolling coverage

OSU fans begged for years from Banker to be fired. Instead, we gave him a chance of scenery and a hefty payraise. I knew this was going to be an issue when we first hired him. I'm sure Riley talked to him and said, "OK Mark, I'm giving you a chance -- don't make me look bad" and Banker pretty much assured him that he wouldn't. However, you can't make a bad coach a good coach overnight, and his lack of coaching skills are apparent. It was chivalrous and loyal of Riley to give his buddy an opportunity, but the experiment has failed and must be remedied at the end of the season, no excuses.

Four games into the season and already a coach "has to go" at the end of the season.

I understood from the start that this was probably going to be a work in progress and that this season could get ugly.

If you want a top team, then you have to have top recruits. We haven't had that in a while. Past poor recruiting classes are not the fault of this staff.