Press Conference - October 5

Mavric

Didn't get the play in until 8 seconds on play clock? Couldn't get our TE motioned over.

That is the kicker. They didn't get the play call until 8 seconds on the play clock?!? That makes it impossible to break huddle and get the proper motion completed.

Run the clock down to :01 and call one of your 3 timeouts!

Tommy on 3rd Down mistake:

Q: what was your recollection of that 3rd down play, and what did you see unfold?

A: Kinda happened so fast,... we got the play call in with, I wanna say like 8 seconds left on the clock. We actually had to have a Tight end motion over. Couldn't get him motioned over in time.

Snapped the ball, faked to the running back, ... the play was originally a pass, but it was tagged a run for me. But, my whole mindset was,... you know, he was probably 2 yards from me when I turned around..... Didn't want to lose any yards, saw Devine open, tried to give him the ball, ... If it was a catch, no one would be talking about it today. He dropped it. It's on me.

I was supposed to run the ball, I didn't run the ball. I tried to at least give him a chance to get the first down. I didn't want to get out of field goal range. My whole mindset was, if we lose yards, we'd be out of field goal range. I think the ball was on the 28 yard line. I was thinking if we had 4rth down, we would kick a field goal, so I didn't want to lose any yards.

(If) we make a field goal with 40-50 seconds on the clock, we go up by 9, there's no way they're coming back. The most points they can get is 8. so , that's on me. (If) I take a sack, we lose 8 yards, 5 yards, with 11 seconds left on the clock, we can punt, or maybe we can just give em the ball right there. We still have the chance to win the game with 11 seconds. But I didn't, so...

I didn't want to get out of field goal range. My whole mindset was, if we lose yards, we'd be out of field goal range. I think the ball was on the 28 yard line. I was thinking if we had 4rth down, we would kick a field goal, so I didn't want to lose any yards.

This is another reason I'd like to have taken a timeout, to have Riley and Langsdorf talk this over with Tommy. I hope they already made up their mind they were not going to kick it from the 27, I believe. So, let Tommy know taking a sack is okay. It just was the worst possible outcome, all-around.

• Fire 1

Gangwish on Social Media:

Q: Would you like to see a social media ban during the season?

A: What I would like to see is guys that can handle social media. And for it not to be an issue. I would like to see everybody have the level of maturity and the level of professionalism that... The're gonna understand that If you don't have a great game, if you screw up, you make a mistake, ... Facebook, Twitter, or whatever, is probably NOT the place for you at that point.

People can be vicious, and some guys can handle it better than others. But, would a social media ban be beneficial to us? I don't know. I know a lot of guys enjoy social media. Social media can be a good thing, if used properly. But I guess at this point I'm comfortable letting Coach Riley make those decistions.

• Fire 2

Still the worst coaching decision and time management skills I have ever seen from a Nebraska team. Didn't get the play in until 8 seconds on play clock? Couldn't get our TE motioned over. Hey coaches, how bout we call a timeout. I know we had at least one left and you can't take them home.

Doesn't even matter if it was a designed run, cause it's still awful coaching.

Call a timeout so the clock stops huh? That makes even less sense

It's called game management. Calling a timeout with one second left on the clock doesn't make a difference in the grand scheme of things. You want to absolutely make sure you have the play right. To have our guys rushed out there, with three timeouts in our pockets is absolutely inexcusable. I would say this is something I would expect from an inexperienced staff, but I think anyone would call a timeout in that situation. To have it happen to a staff with this much experience is telling.

Did anyone ask why we passed 31 times when it wasn't working and why we didn't run more when it was working?

This, for sure

Back to the videos. Tommy says, if it's caught we're not talking about it today. He's right, we would have questioned the call well into Saturday evening probably, but if it had worked, we'd be 3-2 but it would have masked the bigger issue of poor game management by this staff. There were some questionable play calls late in the BYU game, even the play call, or certainly the execution, on the only play Nebraska ran in OT against Miami could be questioned.

Anyone provide cliff notes of Riley? I'm at work.

Good on Tommy owning up for his play. Don't know how that ever turned into a criticism of the coaching staff for answering that question honestly.

Because there are a lot of jackasses running around criticizing Riley for everything including what he eats for breakfast.

• Fire 1

Anyone provide cliff notes of Riley? I'm at work.

Good on Tommy owning up for his play. Don't know how that ever turned into a criticism of the coaching staff for answering that question honestly.

Because there are a lot of jackasses running around criticizing Riley for everything including what he eats for breakfast.

Seriously? This is legitimate criticism of a horrible playcall. 2+ million a year to 1)have the team prepared, and 2)not let this happen at all, let alone TWICE. 99% of all coaches, if in that situation, give the ball to a running back and let the clock run us much as possible. 2-3 for the first time since '59, and this is squarely on their shoulders.

Clock burning to win the game.....is ridiculously and unacceptably bad (that alone would have won the BYU game too yet here we were a few weeks later and we're still acting like idiots). Unacceptable and it makes me wonder what else this staff can't get coached up properly. Pass D is the other obvious concern in that it was bad in this game like always but slightly masked by many drops and bad throws.

3rd down play call was fine the real error was again clock management. 8 seconds when the play is in? Way too late. Both the coaches and Tommy...right at that time, should have anticipated calling T.O. in case the alignment and motion weren't correct. Really the coaches should have done it it's their fault the call was so late. Gotta help Tommy out when they can. And call it at 2 dammit not at 5 or 7 sec. And why was Tommy worried about field goal position? Goal is 1)run clock 2) do NOT pass 3) gain yards, in that order. In Tommy's interview he seemed to have different ideas and also did not seem sure. Does he not know sh** about closing out a game? If he doesn't why not? He can't learn it or the coaches don't teach it correctly? Don't know but the high school clock mgmt mistakes bs need to stop (in practice before game 1). NU would be 4-1 now with simple clock management.

Mike and Tommy both gave solid responses to the 3rd down failure. Like to see that. Proper attitude, transparency and ownership.

Gangwish gave an excellent answer to the social media question.

Get the FREAKING close out the wins crap nailed THIS DANG WEEK in practice. And yet again more work on improving pass D.

It was not well managed, and that's on the coaches. The whole game was not very well managed offensively and that's on the coaches. Hey, fair is fair. Everyone learns something (you hope) and moves on.

The slightly unnerving thing is that, apparently, clock management issues have been noticed before under Riley coached teams.

I overheard a brief part of a conversation on Unsportsmanlike Conduct today - the guys spent a few minutes googling mentions of Mike Riley, Oregon State and clock management problems and said they found a handful of articles in just a few minutes. They also found a recent article detailing the 7-most painful losses in recent Oregon State history. One of them was a bowl game against Texas which was in 2012, IIRC. OSU had a two possession lead near the end of game some but questionable play-calling and clock management issues allowed Texas to come back and win at the very end.

Now, Riley has coached a long time and I'm sure every coach has had issues of clock management plague them at some point. It's likely bound to happen. So, I don't really know what to make of it. The show hosts called it a 'pattern.' I'm not sure if I'm ready to go there yet, but, it's no less disgruntling.

It's not something that's just "plagued" them at some point. As a close and long time follower of Oregon State and Mike Riley I can more than assure you.

• Fire 1

Good press conference. I was glad to hear from Tommy what happened on that 3rd down play. Was disappointed the Alex Lewis situation hadn't been addressed yet. But I like how the team has moved on to Wisconsin. It's a good thing most of the geniuses on this board aren't allowed anywhere near the Football Program.

• Fire 1