Ashamed

We are the greatest fans indeed. We deserve the best. We work our asses off to be able to go to games, afford season tickets, buy gear, etc. How long of a track record do you need look at to understand that we have a career 500 coach and that's what we'll be while he is here. That's not what I want or what we deserve

WOW, now we deserve something from this team. We are FANS!! We don't DESERVE anything......

We absolutely deserve better than this. We have sold out every game for over 50 years. We travel to away games. We spend big sums of money on merchandise. We donate to the athletic department. Miami fans do not deserve anything. If they are not in the hunt for a MNC the stadium is empty. There is a big difference.

You're kidding right? Give me a break, the only reason we have the sell out streak, is because we were lucky enough to have had decades of success. It's just taken that much longer to come to the realization, that it's slipping away. Now is the time to show you're a real fan, and support the staff and players as they work to win games. Nebraska fans are just as 'fair weather' as any others, we've just been spoiled by the success.

You're kidding right? Give me a break, the only reason we have the sell out streak, is because we were lucky enough to have had decades of success. It's just taken that much longer to come to the realization, that it's slipping away. Now is the time to show you're a real fan, and support the staff and players as they work to win games. Nebraska fans are just as 'fair weather' as any others, we've just been spoiled by the success.

Is has been 15 years since we won a conference championship, and we have still sold out every game. Can you name another program with this accomplishment? Nebraska does not have fair weather fans. I have proven that I am a real fan for the past 45 years.

• Fire 1

Fair weather? Good lord, we had 20,000 fans travel to Illinois and around 10,000 in Miami. Just stop we are the furthest thing from fair weathered fans

• Fire 2

Give it a few more games, we'll see.... even say, when we come back home from a loss in Minneapolis.

The boo birds among us, have had a false sense of relevance with these 9-win seasons. We'll soon be separating the fans from the band wagon faction (some will recall the swathes of empty seats during the Callahan era).

Why can't we as Huskers fans voice our displeasure at losing 4 games as a direct result of bad coaching. And when we do, we are labeled the "worst fans" in the country? I don't get it. If we were 2-4 or even 0-6 but it was based on the other teams playing better or bad weather conditions of injuries or even the players not playing well, that's one thing. But this staff has LOST 4 games with decisions that everyone at home in front of their TV's or at the stadium, some with coaching experience and some who are just simply fans, all saw coming. To have any hope or patience when you see this, I don't know, it's tough.

• Fire 3

Why can't we as Huskers fans voice our displeasure at losing 4 games as a direct result of bad coaching. And when we do, we are labeled the "worst fans" in the country? I don't get it. If we were 2-4 or even 0-6 but it was based on the other teams playing better or bad weather conditions of injuries or even the players not playing well, that's one thing. But this staff has LOST 4 games with decisions that everyone at home in front of their TV's or at the stadium, some with coaching experience and some who are just simply fans, all saw coming. To have any hope or patience when you see this, I don't know, it's tough.

+1. Especially when we're losing in the same fashion every time

Would that this fans being at each others' throats thing were a bygone relic of the Bo era.

There are bad apples, sure, and fans who are just concerned and want to talk about it, too. To focus only on the outliers or to have folks on either side stirring up the warpath, that's channeling the spirit of our former Head Coach.

He let the loud few ruin his experience here. Let's not do the same. :thumbs

Would that this fans being at each others' throats thing were a bygone relic of the Bo era.

There are bad apples, sure, and fans who are just concerned and want to talk about it, too. To focus only on the outliers or to have folks on either side stirring up the warpath, that's channeling the spirit of our former Head Coach.

He let the loud few ruin his experience here. Let's not do the same. :thumbs

Austin-Powers-Yeah-Baby-Yeah.png

I do think some comments and the people who offer them on this board (I don't know what is written elsewhere as I don't take the time but presumably there is a similar tone and content as this board exhibits) are fair or right and could be accurately described as shameful. I am not ashamed of our team or program or the coaches or administration.

I do, however, understand the strong questioning of how or why we selected Riley to be the future of the program. We needed as a Head Coach at Nebraska someone that has the following capabilities:

1. A great X & Os guy.

2. A person of great, demonstrated personal character for honesty, integrity, sincerity, intelligence, well spoken, with a desire to be the coach at Nebraska as a long term career.

3. A coach with considerable experience (at least 10 years IMO) as a head coach of a program of significance with large budgets, of a D-1 level program.

4. A coach with experience as a former player who can relate to the work, effort, trials and tribulations of being a collegiate and or pro athlete in today's world.

5. A coach with a national reputation and well known to most of the college football world.

6. A good judge of character who can relate to today's youth and be a good role model and leader of them (this is not easy certainly).

7. A person with extra thick skin who can handle criticism and responds well to challenges and believes fervently in his system.

8. Someone who is adaptable and can adjust to the changes that occur over time as things are always in a state of constant change.

9. Someone who will NOT embarrass the University through his personal actions or violate the rules or attempt to cover up the same.

The question is: How many of these basic descriptors do you feel Riley fits? Can we find someone who fits better?

I thiink Riley somewhat fits numbers 1, 3, 4, 6 (maybe?), and 7, and 9. I think he falls short of meeting 2, 5 and 8 and again 6 is ify at best.

How the hell does he fall short of 2 and 5?

I think he falls short on 2 because of age. He is destined to be here less than long term.

His national reputation is almost totally lacking. He is known by a few other coaches but was almost totally unknown to the average high school coach or high school players or their parents. I don't think anyone could argue Riley had some kind of well known national reputation as a great football coach.

I really need to get this off my chest. I am ASHAMED to call myself a Husker fan right now. I am not ashamed of the TEAM or the COACHING STAFF. I am ashamed of our FAN BASE. We are 6 games into a new era and the supposed "greatest fans in college football", want to fire everyone. It's pathetic if you ask me.

I am amazed at all the D1 coaches, AD's, and Chancellors that we have posting on here. Man, if NU would just hire all of you, we would never lose a game, recruit, or donor. It would be the greatest thing since slice bread. GOOD GOD, get over yourselves.

I am in my late 40's so I have seen the glory years and the hard times, the 70's and early 80's, so I know my Husker football. Thank god we didn't have social media back then, because TO would have left. I remember my father and grandfather using the phrase, "run two, pass one, punt", when talking about TO's offensive scheme. TO had a vision of what he wanted to do and over 20 YEARS of effort he got it done. It didn't happen in 6 games, it didn't happen in 3-5 years. It took 20 years for him to win the big game. Was he ever, 2-4? No, but he didn't have to deal with a college landscape that we have today. He had guys sitting the bench waiting their turn that would be considered 4* players today. Make no mistake, his teams were loaded with talent.

We need to get a grip and let Riley do his thing. I remember losses like yesterday, last week, and week one. TO had them back in the day. We survived them then and we will survive them now. There is a quote on the stadium wall that reflects the Nebraska way, "Not the victory but the action, not the goal but the game, in the deed the glory", we used to believe in that quote. That is what made us the "greatest fans in college football".

We have lost our way!!!

So, what people need to realize is that everything we are experiencing follows a pattern that has been repeated dozens if not hundreds of times across college football. The end-of-the-world proclaimers, the excuse makers, the optimists, the defiant fans who vow to stand with the team even if it means they will never smile again. The people screaming for HC's head, the people who hate the AD, the people who are worried about attendance. And so forth. Nothing of this is unique, even though of course it feels unique to those schools going through it. There is no such thing as permanent down for a program like Nebraska. We will rise again, and we will fall again. If we are lucky, there will be a national championship at some point. The important thing is to try and be a little zen about it and have fun. Nothing worse than a bitter fan.