Processing it all

We just need to exorcise the unrealistic expectation demons which have so gripped Husker nation over 3 decades. We're no longer starting a season with a shot at a national title, much less a conference title. Our previous coach gave us an unrealistic feeling of national relevance at the expense of respectability with his sideline demeanor. It's time to take several steps back, take a few spoonfuls of humility, understand the situation, give this staff time to make this team their own. This truly is where the real fans show up. Time to support your team.

Well we certainly never will be relevant to the National title again if we go with the attitude that we have unrealistic expectations to ever be again. I think everyone would be a lot more willing to cut them some slack this year if they were showing any sort of decent coaching at all. We are worst in the nation for penalties, and while you can argue about offensive and defensive coaching,the continued penalties is ALL on the coaching. They are not instilling enough discipline to get the players to focus on not committing penalties.

The best predictor of future performance is past performance. .536......

We just need to exorcise the unrealistic expectation demons which have so gripped Husker nation over 3 decades. We're no longer starting a season with a shot at a national title, much less a conference title. Our previous coach gave us an unrealistic feeling of national relevance at the expense of respectability with his sideline demeanor. It's time to take several steps back, take a few spoonfuls of humility, understand the situation, give this staff time to make this team their own. This truly is where the real fans show up. Time to support your team.

Well we certainly never will be relevant to the National title again if we go with the attitude that we have unrealistic expectations to ever be again. I think everyone would be a lot more willing to cut them some slack this year if they were showing any sort of decent coaching at all. We are worst in the nation for penalties, and while you can argue about offensive and defensive coaching,the continued penalties is ALL on the coaching. They are not instilling enough discipline to get the players to focus on not committing penalties.

The best predictor of future performance is past performance. .536......

It's actually .498 alltime if you count pros.

After processing it all.

I am not mad. Any more.

Just fustrated and disappointed.

Here is hoping we turn this around.

Hopefully Wisc HC when he called Riley after gave him some pointers as to what he saw as weakeness and what he exploited. They are real life long time friends after all. Hopefully we make adjustments after Wisc and can beat Minny.

So I see we need to support the team. I get this. Always have and always will. Maybe the kids don't buy into this system. You don't think kids at the FBS level can't tell good coaching? You don't think some of our receivers are like, "why the hell are the coaches have TA throw these passes" or the RB's aren't like, "why the hell do 75% of our yards go off tackle and langs has us bang 3 right into the middle to burn 7 seconds off the clock".

My point being, maybe being supportive of the team is to make disappointment known about this staff so the administration steps in and demands things be fixed.

I think at this level, people can quickly judge if a guy has "it" or not. IMO, Riley does not. He's now career less than .500.

An honest question, why/how do you think Riley will have success here. What have you seen. Where is the progress from week to week? I just don't see it.

This year is an adjustment year and it was going to occur regardless of the coaching hire. If MR is fired, then next year is another adjustment year. Do want to have back to back adjustment years?

McElwain and Harbaugh asked if you would repeat the question please.......

And their situation was not ours.

We own our situation. And the consequences.

Everyone needs to stop with the Michigan and Florida comparison. Check the recruiting numbers, Michigan and Florida if correct were in the Top 20 in recruiting in the last 3 years. Talent was there. Coaching wasn't apparently.

So under Pelini, we had coaching and not talent? Or how did we win 70% of our games under his direction?

This year is an adjustment year and it was going to occur regardless of the coaching hire. If MR is fired, then next year is another adjustment year. Do want to have back to back adjustment years?

McElwain and Harbaugh asked if you would repeat the question please.......
And their situation was not ours.

We own our situation. And the consequences.

That's pretty sobering.

Everyone needs to stop with the Michigan and Florida comparison. Check the recruiting numbers, Michigan and Florida if correct were in the Top 20 in recruiting in the last 3 years. Talent was there. Coaching wasn't apparently.

So under Pelini, we had coaching and not talent? Or how did we win 70% of our games under his direction?

Callahan. If not for Callahan bozo never would have won any games, ever.

Wait, wut?

Callahan. If not for Callahan bozo never would have won any games, ever.

Wait, wut?

You literally just blew my mind.

giphy.gif

As a guy who never knew who Mike Riley was I was never happy with the hire but then I took a step aside and said okay let's see how he hires his coordinators and his staff and he essentially brings 90% of everyone he had at Oregon State and this is where it started to chat my ass so now we're two and four we lost in Miami fine I take it we lost at BYU fine I'll take it but we lose to Wisconsin a team that hasn't had barely a pulse all season and we lose to a Illinoise team that has flatlined for a decade and we're supposed to be rational when that stuff happens I'm not saying bo should have stayed but I'm saying that smarter choices should have been made and I do not see this as the answer to the problem I think everybody on this board is a true Husker fan you would not be here if you werent but there should not be any rationalizing in the crazy house.

You seemed to have missed the point here. The point is I'm literally tired of listening to people attack one another because one person says, "patience" while another screams, "fire the bastard now!" Everyone has their opinion, instead of thinking yours in the right one, I'm generalizing yours by the way, understand that the other person isn't happy we're 2-4, but they have a different view of what should happen. Discuss that by all means and disagree constructively. Some people aren't doing that unfortunately and it's becoming a problem and the constant bickering is obnoxious.

Mike Riley isn't getting it done at this point, I think we all know that, but we all have our opinions as to WHY he's not getting it done. No one is accepting mediocrity, we all want championships, and I don't think we should let up on those expectations. But we can't simply buy our way out of this problem right now at this point in time. There are other things we have to get taken care of before we can simply "open up the checkbook" From figuring out the administrative problems we're facing with the chancellor and AD all the way down to the DB coach and others. It's a mess right now and it's going to take some time to figure it all out.

This literally sounds like settling for mediocrity...

Long term? No. You make the change if you don't see results.

Short term? You need to give a guy a fair shake at it. That means a couple of years, at least, to show he's got a chance to move things in the right direction.

Every Husker fan better be praying to god Riley works out and he's not not fired this year or next, because NO coach will come here if he's fired. It's one thing to fire an a-hole coach like Pelini- in large part for being an a-hole. It's another thing to go full-retard on Mr. Rogers. College football will never forgive us.

I hope more than anything that he succeeds, because I'm tried of losing. But... a losing season this year and another bad year in 2016 is flat out unacceptable.

• Fire 1

Depending on how bad the first two years go, it'll be easy to justify letting Riley go after two seasons. However, I'd have to think it's unlikely unless Year 2 is horrendous, or Year 3 is also a bust.

None of these crazy scenarios where NU lets Riley go after one year is going to happen. And as his hire showed to begin with, and as he and his staff are demonstrating, Nebraska is not some backwater place where you have to hold onto any coach you can get.

There will never be a shortage of potential candidates when the time is right.