Riley Supporters Are Wrong

Redux

I giggled a little when I read this:

You sit there and bash Kirk Ferentz. You scoff at Minnesota. You laugh at Illinois.

Right now, you’d trade places with any of those teams in a heartbeat.

Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois fans, have endured what we're just now experiencing, for years now. Yet, I'm pretty sure they weren't whining about it on the level we are, calling for mid-season firing, etc. We would have kicked Ferentz out, YEARS ago.

• Fire 1

And this is all I need to read:

Stopping trying to erase Bo Pelini. He happened. What he did was real. Lost some games. He got blown out in some games. He yelled. He called you out for leaving games early — you the fans who were supposedly more dedicated and passionate than any in the nation. He was right. He trashed the administration that fired him, and he did so in front of his former players. He was right. Those players are not children. They’re not boys. They are men, the same age as the men and women who wear your country’s military uniforms. They can handle the truth.
  • Fire 1

Stopping trying to erase Bo Pelini. He happened. What he did was real. Lost some games. He got blown out in some games. He yelled. He called you out for leaving games early you the fans who were supposedly more dedicated and passionate than any in the nation. He was right. He trashed the administration that fired him, and he did so in front of his former players. He was right. Those players are not children. Theyre not boys. They are men, the same age as the men and women who wear your countrys military uniforms. They can handle the truth.

It's 100% spot on.

• Fire 5

Stopping trying to erase Bo Pelini. He happened. What he did was real. Lost some games. He got blown out in some games. He yelled. He called you out for leaving games early — you the fans who were supposedly more dedicated and passionate than any in the nation. He was right. He trashed the administration that fired him, and he did so in front of his former players. He was right. Those players are not children. They’re not boys. They are men, the same age as the men and women who wear your country’s military uniforms. They can handle the truth.

Unbiased author is unbiased.

• Fire 2

We had concerns about the offense in Big 10 play, turns out those concerns were warranted. We groaned when Banker was named defensive coordinator, turns out those groans were warranted. We were warned from Oregon St. fans how his clock management and penalties have plagued his teams in the past, turns out that didn't stop when he came over here. To everyone who says we don't deserve better, just stop it we do. If you're going to replace a coach and promise championships then bring in a coach who has experience winning championships. Narduzzi was the architect for those Michigan St. defenses that won a Rose Bowl and had multiple 11+ win seasons, Mcelwain is a Saban prodigy, Herman is an offensive genius who led Ohio State to a championship last year. Yet we settle for a guy whose only championship experience is the Grey Cup in 1990.

We deserve better than to be lied to by the administration. And we deserve better than a coach with years of experience and nothing to show for it.

• Fire 8

You sit there and bash Kirk Ferentz. You scoff at Minnesota. You laugh at Illinois.

Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois fans, have endured what we're just now experiencing, for years now. Yet, I'm pretty sure they weren't whining about it on the level we are, calling for mid-season firing, etc. We would have kicked Ferentz out, YEARS ago.

Lived in Iowa last year. The calls for fire Ferentz where at there highest.

He got blown out in some games

Some games include: 52-17 against Missouri, 62-28 against Oklahoma, 31-10 against Texas Tech, (let's not forget 9-7 against Iowa State), 48-17 against Wisconsin, 45-17 against Michigan, 30-13 against South Carolina, 63-38 against Ohio State, 70-31 against Wisconsin (again), 41-21 against UCLA (after being up 21-0), 38-17 against Iowa, and 59-24 against Wisconsin (again).

The way the author put that is to discount those blowouts like there weren't that many, which is completely false. 11 blowouts in 7 years, that's a little over 1.5 a year, I don't think you'll find another Power 5 program who got blown out more during that time frame. Winning doesn't erase that.

Furthermore, perhaps Bo was right for outting the fans, and perhaps he's right about the administration (who knows?). But being right isn't always good (i.e., people who doubted the Mike Riley hire), and there was no person more responsible for creating a divide between fans and team than Bo and a few coaches on his coaching staff.

It's funny that if you look at Bo's years at Nebraska, from a qualitative perspective, 2010--Bo's 3rd year--was his best year at Nebraska, that 3rd year that I've been saying is so pivotal for figuring out what kind of coach you have. Mike Riley's went 5-6 in his 3rd year at Oregon State, which isn't a good sign of what he might do here (and has been documented and accepted as a legitimate criticism of the hire), and it's no surprise that his overall record at Oregon State hovered around that win percentage. It's also been documented and accepted that Nebraska is a little more advantageous place than Oregon State and perhaps Mike Riley will be able to do here what he couldn't do at OSU.

It's going to take patience, so if you have none, it might be more advantageous for you to spend time fishing rather than on the board.

• Fire 8

We should have kicked Ferentz out years ago if he was our coach. Iowa has the easiest schedule maybe in the entire nation, this season doesn't take away from the fact that his teams have been around .500 the last few years. Teams like Alabama, Florida, Michigan, Ohio State wouldn't put up with these results. If we really want to be in the top echelon why should we put up with it? Setting our expectations like we're Minnesota, Illinois and Iowa will turn us into those teams

• Fire 1

I'll pass on entertaining drivel from a guy who thought what Bo did was appropriate.

Did he really say it was "appropriate"? He just said Bo was correct. If I tell a fat ugly girl that she's fat and ugly, I would be correct but not appropriate

And if you tell a fat, ugly girl that she's fat and ugly, you're going to have to pay for the consequences of your actions.

Truth, but it might sting:

Swallow the pride, admit you were wrong, open the checkbook and go get your coach. Florida did it. Michigan did it. Ohio State did it. Notre Dame did it.

It’s time Nebraska does it, and it’s time you dropped the exhausting charade that is throwing every fiber of your being behind a losing football coach in the name of not having to admit that you are wrong.

I don't necessarily agree that you have to open the checkbook and buy the biggest, hottest name. But you need to do better than Sub500. A lot better.

• Fire 2