38 Carries - Nebraska Record

True2tRA

Rex Burkhead set the Nebraska record for most carries in a game on 11/25/2011. He had 160 yards.

Nebraska ran the ball 38 times today against Northwestern. Nebraska had 82 yards.

Yet according to many Huskerboard members, Nebraska didn't "commit" to the run.

attachicon.gifderp.jpg

I can not believe that I fell for the BS coach speak about "fitting the scheme to the guys", "really like the idea of a running QB"..... Should have known the truth with the comments "I think we ran well today" (38 carries for 82 yards), "I haven't ever had a running QB before", "we can use the pass to set up the run".....

A$$ clowns for coaches. Not all, but most.

When Riley said he'd adjust to the talent on hand, I believed it too.

But while every game and season is important to the fans, this staff just views it as part of the long term building process, as if this first season is just a minor bump in the road to long term success.

I think "adjusting to the talent" really meant finding which plays in the Riley playbook that Tommy and crew can have success with. Not actually running the type of plays that they had success with in the past.

Reminds me of Callahan's first year , going 5-7 and saying that it's "just one season".

Major fail, OP.

"Committing to the run" means more than the number of running plays. It also means (1) running the ball with your best running back (not pass blocker), (2) placing an emphasis on run blocking in practice, and (3) coming up with more innovative running plays than "Run into Pile" and "Run to Sideline."

Say what you will about Beck and his tendency to see something shiny in the stands and lose focus, but the dude knew how to draw up some clever running plays and blocking schemes, and knew who his playmakers were. If Beck had run the ball 38 times with the punter while Rex Burkhead was on the sideline, healthy, would you have said we had "committed to the run"? Of course not.

With Langsdorf, you almost get the feeling that he is just running vanilla run plays to appease the fans so he and people like you can point to the run/pass split and say, "SEE? WE 'COMMITTED TO THE RUN.' ARE YOU HAPPY NOW?"

Rex Burkhead set the Nebraska record for most carries in a game on 11/25/2011. He had 160 yards.

Nebraska ran the ball 38 times today against Northwestern. Nebraska had 82 yards.

Yet according to many Huskerboard members, Nebraska didn't "commit" to the run.

attachicon.gifderp.jpg

I can not believe that I fell for the BS coach speak about "fitting the scheme to the guys", "really like the idea of a running QB"..... Should have known the truth with the comments "I think we ran well today" (38 carries for 82 yards), "I haven't ever had a running QB before", "we can use the pass to set up the run".....

A$$ clowns for coaches. Not all, but most.

When Riley said he'd adjust to the talent on hand, I believed it too.

But while every game and season is important to the fans, this staff just views it as part of the long term building process, as if this first season is just a minor bump in the road to long term success.

I think "adjusting to the talent" really meant finding which plays in the Riley playbook that Tommy and crew can have success with. Not actually running the type of plays that they had success with in the past.

Reminds me of Callahan's first year , going 5-7 and saying that it's "just one season".

I fell for that also in the preseason. Riley talked about looking at what the kids could de well and do that. Wanting to get good at things. And then week after week, we try to be air Brady......

To be honest it almost feels like every run play they call is as conservative as humanly possible just to be a F U to the fan base.

"You want us to run the ball? Fine. Heres 41 dive 20 times"

Zero creativity in the run game. Almost every time we run a QB power, QB sweep, Option, etc we gain positive yardage. But we run one of those and seemingly scrap it so we can run Cross up the gut for no gain 15 times later in the game.

• Fire 1

To be honest it almost feels like every run play they call is as conservative as humanly possible just to be a F U to the fan base.

Zero creativity in the run game. Almost every time we run a QB power, QB sweep, Option, etc we gain positive yardage. But we run one of those and seemingly scrap it so we can run Cross up the gut for no gain 15 times later in the game.

If not consciously, maybe subliminally. It sure isn't committed to getting positive yards....

You and I just posted the EXACT same thing at nearly the EXACT same time. I couldn't agree more. Besties forever?

+1 that's exactly what it feels like

You and I just posted the EXACT same thing at nearly the EXACT same time. I couldn't agree more. Besties forever?

Great minds think alike

I think they need to figure out this run game thing. There were times when Nebraska would get a few nice gains on the ground, but they can't seem to build off it. There are things the run game shows occasionally that look pretty dangerous -- but it's so far from consistent.

I don't think Nebraska's run game is much above "average" right now. That's a combination of the players we have, the coaches we have, and how they all put it together on the field. (Sorry, I'm not looking to indict any one group here. I'm not mad enough to.)

But, and here's the really disappointing thing, they're better than the kinds of performances they've put on at times this year. Including today. Nebraska was the far better team and should have done better. They didn't yet *again*.

The saddest part is that this staff actually has very nice plays- especially with deep routes- off of play action. If there was a sincere interest in running the football they could really show off some of the beautiful play designs that they have installed in both the play action game and the deep passing game. Tommy to his core is a 0-8 yard or 25+ yard passer. Run the ball with consistency and purpose and you have a great opportunity for success with those deep balls/play actions Langsdoof

I don't think Nebraska's run game is much above "average" right now. That's a combination of the players we have, the coaches we have, and how they all put it together on the field. (Sorry, I'm not looking to indict any one group here. I'm not mad enough to.)

Coming into today, we were #19 IN THE COUNTRY in rushing yards per attempt (ESPN hasn't updated today's stats yet). That is plenty above average.

We are average (at best) at calling a running game.

• Fire 2

As long as we keep putting up stinkers like this, Mav, it's going to be hard to argue that.

I really don't think the running game is *that* much of a strength. But it's not utterly terrible, either. Should have done better against Northwestern. Underperforming relative to capability, is that going to be the hallmark under this regime? Not promising, so far, right?

As long as we keep putting up stinkers like this, Mav, it's going to be hard to argue that.

I really don't think the running game is *that* much of a strength. But it's not utterly terrible, either. Should have done better against Northwestern. Underperforming relative to capability, is that going to be the hallmark under this regime? Not promising, so far, right?

When you run the ball straight ahead into a seven man box - which is seemed like we did about 30 out of 36 carries today - you're going to struggle running the ball. There isn't a team in the nation that wouldn't "struggle" to run the ball doing that.

Their defense is decent. But their MIKE had 13 tackles today. He had 13 in the previous three games COMBINED. Their one DT had 10 tackles. He had 9 in the previous three games COMBINED.

We basically did nothing but run straight at them. And apparently the coaches can't figure out why we can't run the ball.

Like I said a couple weeks ago, Langsdorf doesn't get it.

• Fire 6

I think they need to figure out this run game thing. There were times when Nebraska would get a few nice gains on the ground, but they can't seem to build off it. There are things the run game shows occasionally that look pretty dangerous -- but it's so far from consistent.

But, and here's the really disappointing thing, they're better than the kinds of performances they've put on at times this year. Including today. Nebraska was the far better team and should have done better. They didn't yet *again*.

I don't know how one could actually say Nebraska's run game is average when 1) the coaches have failed consistently use the running game in a consistent manner to compliment scheme, 2) continue to mismanage the stable of running backs we do have, and 3) fail to consistently get Tommy Armstrong involved on a consistent manner.

The failure is purely coaching and playcalling by the OC and HC, as we've seen that when the coaches dislodge their heads from their rectums and call a good gameplan (read: commit to the run, have only one or two RBs involved to keep them hot), the team can succeed on offense.

The coaches and they have failed time and again to understand this--which is sad, considering more of the fans realize this and question why a staff that was sold as experienced and capable of working with the kids on-hand are continuing to not realize they are under-utilizing and mismanaging their best offensive assets.

This loss, like all of the losses this year, isn't on the kids, but the coaches. It's not losses in the last minute, but what the coaches failed to call or do in the last 59:00--like have a good offensive, run-first plan to utilize our best assets.

Coming into today, we were #19 IN THE COUNTRY in rushing yards per attempt (ESPN hasn't updated today's stats yet). That is plenty above average.

We are average (at best) at calling a running game.

You're being too kind, frankly. It's damn pathetic, especially considering how much "experience" this staff has.