38 Carries - Nebraska Record

True2tRA

Rex Burkhead set the Nebraska record for most carries in a game on 11/25/2011. He had 160 yards. Nebraska ran the ball 38 times today against Northwestern. Nebraska had 82 yards. Yet according to many Huskerboard members, Nebraska didn't "commit" to the run. attachicon.gifderp.jpg

NW's run defense is pretty stout. Their pass rush was good too.

Yeah, that Northwestern team is an impenetrable juggernaut. You can tell by their impressive record and quality play.

• Fire 1

No doubt these coaches are much more inclined to call plays like they are coaching in the NFL or CFL than in college. In the pros, a great day running the ball is to get 140 yards on 30 carries in a game. In college, that is NOT even close. You need to average 5.5 yards per carry and run for over 250 yards in the game to have a decent running game. A good running game averages over 300 yards per game and gets 400 in the games against lesser teams. We are not close to that and will never be with the gameplans put together by this staff. That is what a commitment to the run needs to be. It is not calling X number of running plays, it is running the ball with the intent to get yards and first downs and TDs on the ground and using passing to complement the runs and keep the defense honest and pulling them out of the box when they crowd it too much for too long.

As long as we keep putting up stinkers like this, Mav, it's going to be hard to argue that.

I really don't think the running game is *that* much of a strength. But it's not utterly terrible, either. Should have done better against Northwestern. Underperforming relative to capability, is that going to be the hallmark under this regime? Not promising, so far, right?

When you run the ball straight ahead into a seven man box - which is seemed like we did about 30 out of 36 carries today - you're going to struggle running the ball. There isn't a team in the nation that wouldn't "struggle" to run the ball doing that.

Their defense is decent. But their MIKE had 13 tackles today. He had 13 in the previous three games COMBINED. Their one DT had 10 tackles. He had 9 in the previous three games COMBINED.

We basically did nothing but run straight at them. And apparently the coaches can't figure out why we can't run the ball.

Like I said a couple weeks ago, Langsdorf doesn't get it.

I think that is more of an indictment on our RB's than anything else. Newby will always string himself out on stretch plays and gets tackled on first contact. Even then when running up the middle, there were holes but Newby constantly missed them. The best example was the first play of the second half. If he cuts right there was a huge running lane, maybe one big enough for him to score on, but he cuts left right into contact and we get a yard at most. That is why Andy has has the success that he has had, he just hits the holes that are there, Newby doesn't have the vision to see those holes or if he does is thinking too much which is making him hesitate while they close on him. The problem is that Imani is just a short yardage back and apparently Ozigbo doesn't practice very well and doesn't know the playbook and isn't good at pass blocking. At this point if he can at least do what the other two are not doing, then give the kid a shot. It isn't going to cost us any wins, I know that and it may help us win a few down the stretch.

We left a bunch of points on the table today. This game shouldn't have been close. Tommy's pick 6 is probably a 10 point swing alone since we were already in FG range. We had dropped TD passes. Overthrowing Newby on the wheel route could have been a TD. Turner pausing on his route instead of running it out would have been a TD instead of overthrown. Reilly's dropped pass. Taariq's drive killing drop. Lot's and lot's of opportunities today to put this game away and for whatever reason the players simply don't execute whether it's TA not making the throw or receivers not catching it. I can't fault DL when the plays he call actually would work if it weren't for players choking.

• Fire 3

This can't work this year or next. TA is an option qb, turned into pocket passer. Coaches are a pass first, run the ball up the middle and get back to the pass. Next year qb recruit will have never have played a down of collage ball, but people keep saying wait till Riley gets his type qb. A freshman qb is not going to beat out TA. So get ready for more of the same next year. jmo

GBR!!!

Boy, that Northwestern defense is that good huh? I don't think so.

So now we are blaming Langs for running straight at a 9 man front by Northwestern?

Well typically when a defense stacks the box, then Langsdorf goes to the air to back them off. We threw it 49 times. Then fans complain about how much we threw the ball.

So how does Langsdorf win? I don't get it. What the f#*k do you people expect the guy to do?

A few weeks ago it was, "we don't run the ball enough". We ran it 38 times, coincidentally the same number matching Rex Burkheads Nebraska record. So now that we ran it 38 times in the game and it went nowhere, we've moved from bitching about not running it enough to now "it's not how much we ran it, but HOW we ran it".

Nebraska can't line up and run straight at Northwestern for more than an average of 2 yards? And that's Langs' fault?

I'll tell you the only place I see any fault is in the personnel decisions these guys have made. I don't think our best offensive linemen are playing and I don't think our best RB's are even seeing the field.

Regardless of who is out there though, when you can't line up and run straight at Northwestern for more than a 2 yard average, then there's some sincere question marks about the abilities of your running backs and your offensive line.

• Fire 2

As long as we keep putting up stinkers like this, Mav, it's going to be hard to argue that.

I really don't think the running game is *that* much of a strength. But it's not utterly terrible, either. Should have done better against Northwestern. Underperforming relative to capability, is that going to be the hallmark under this regime? Not promising, so far, right?

When you run the ball straight ahead into a seven man box - which is seemed like we did about 30 out of 36 carries today - you're going to struggle running the ball. There isn't a team in the nation that wouldn't "struggle" to run the ball doing that.

Their defense is decent. But their MIKE had 13 tackles today. He had 13 in the previous three games COMBINED. Their one DT had 10 tackles. He had 9 in the previous three games COMBINED.

We basically did nothing but run straight at them. And apparently the coaches can't figure out why we can't run the ball.

Like I said a couple weeks ago, Langsdorf doesn't get it.

I think that is more of an indictment on our RB's than anything else. Newby will always string himself out on stretch plays and gets tackled on first contact. Even then when running up the middle, there were holes but Newby constantly missed them. The best example was the first play of the second half. If he cuts right there was a huge running lane, maybe one big enough for him to score on, but he cuts left right into contact and we get a yard at most. That is why Andy has has the success that he has had, he just hits the holes that are there, Newby doesn't have the vision to see those holes or if he does is thinking too much which is making him hesitate while they close on him. The problem is that Imani is just a short yardage back and apparently Ozigbo doesn't practice very well and doesn't know the playbook and isn't good at pass blocking. At this point if he can at least do what the other two are not doing, then give the kid a shot. It isn't going to cost us any wins, I know that and it may help us win a few down the stretch.

We left a bunch of points on the table today. This game shouldn't have been close. Tommy's pick 6 is probably a 10 point swing alone since we were already in FG range. We had dropped TD passes. Overthrowing Newby on the wheel route could have been a TD. Turner pausing on his route instead of running it out would have been a TD instead of overthrown. Reilly's dropped pass. Taariq's drive killing drop. Lot's and lot's of opportunities today to put this game away and for whatever reason the players simply don't execute whether it's TA not making the throw or receivers not catching it. I can't fault DL when the plays he call actually would work if it weren't for players choking.

AFHusker nailed it with that post. Absolutely nailed it.

• Fire 1

True2tRA - I see your points. Yes, NU should be able to line up and smashmouth up the middle to get a few yards. However, in the running game there are so many subtle differences to each play. The run blocking schemes, etc. For instance, most fans probably see one run up the middle as the same as the next. But it's not. Isolation plays are different than inside zone blocking, which is different to trap plays, counters, etc. So when someone like myself says it is HOW they are running the ball, I am saying that based on what I am seeing, this coaching staff does not have what it takes to understand and implement the SUBTLE DIFFERENCES in each play to 1) call the right play, 2) have an audible sytem in place to check out of dead running plays and into good running plays based on the defensive front at the line of scrimmage just prior to snap, 3) be able to make adjustments as the game goes on to collaborate with the coaching staff to figure out what running plays will work and what won't, to adjust on the fly during the heat of a game. To do all this you must be TECHNICIANS of the running game, not just casual dabblers in it, which is what Riley and Langsdorf do....dabble in it but are definitley not true technicians.

It's one thing to run it up the gut on a simple inside zone and go nowhere and say "see, I run the ball" It's another to be an expert technician and run it up the middle (or outside) and be effective and creative and do it right.

The whole season offensively is just a complete cluster****. Riley doesn't have the type of QB he wants for his system. So we're running a hybrid of last season with some of Riley's system.

When we do drop back to pass, our offensive line is honestly just pretty bad at pass blocking, and Tommy's not getting much time to throw. And I hate making that comment - I know our guys are trying their hardest. This season feels like 2010 without the stellar defense.

Rex Burkhead set the Nebraska record for most carries in a game on 11/25/2011. He had 160 yards.

Nebraska ran the ball 38 times today against Northwestern. Nebraska had 82 yards.

Yet according to many Huskerboard members, Nebraska didn't "commit" to the run.

attachicon.gifderp.jpg

NW's run defense is pretty stout. Their pass rush was good too.

Iowa ran for almost 300 on them....

And they did it with a 3rd string RB and their starting RT missing...

True2tRA - I see your points. Yes, NU should be able to line up and smashmouth up the middle to get a few yards. However, in the running game there are so many subtle differences to each play. The run blocking schemes, etc. For instance, most fans probably see one run up the middle as the same as the next. But it's not. Isolation plays are different than inside zone blocking, which is different to trap plays, counters, etc. So when someone like myself says it is HOW they are running the ball, I am saying that based on what I am seeing, this coaching staff does not have what it takes to understand and implement the SUBTLE DIFFERENCES in each play to 1) call the right play, 2) have an audible sytem in place to check out of dead running plays and into good running plays based on the defensive front at the line of scrimmage just prior to snap, 3) be able to make adjustments as the game goes on to collaborate with the coaching staff to figure out what running plays will work and what won't, to adjust on the fly during the heat of a game. To do all this you must be TECHNICIANS of the running game, not just casual dabblers in it, which is what Riley and Langsdorf do....dabble in it but are definitley not true technicians.

It's one thing to run it up the gut on a simple inside zone and go nowhere and say "see, I run the ball" It's another to be an expert technician and run it up the middle (or outside) and be effective and creative and do it right.

We all know we don't have great running backs. We don't have a great offensive line. We don't have a great QB. We have a few very good ones at best across most of the positions on the team. Certainly we don't have a sufficient number of any of the above to turn our below average team into an excellent or great one. No matter who coached this team, we are not capable of being great as we don't have the talent for such. That is simply the facts.

We all know that Riley intends to run an offense pretty much exactly like the one he is running this year; only he believes it will function much better because he will have his traditional pocket passer who will slice and dice the defense theoretically. We don't have great players in most positions but as soon as we do, we will once again be winning most of our games and the restless fans will calm down again and perhaps someday things will be back to normal. Many Husker fans don't like, as a general statement, watching the 'west coach offense' style of offense. They have enjoyed watching the grind it out, toughest man, competition of the power running attack. They don't mind a pass thrown in there now and then just 'for fun' mostly. But serious football is played in the trenches by tough guys blocking hard and tackling harder. Running backs who dish out the punishment rather than take it. The offense exerts it will to dominate the line of scrimmage and push the opponent backwards until they are shoved quite literally into the own end zone. Ah, yes, indeed that is Nebraska football - the old fashioned way perhaps but still it is Nebraska football "as a brand"

In the post game analysis of the radio broadcast following the Northwestern loss, former Husker QB Steve Taylor proclaimed repeatedly that the brand of football I just described above as 'being dead' or something similar in meaning. Saying basically, that almost nobody runs that style of football (option football in general) with a high degree of runs and a few passes just sprinkled in to keep them guessing once in a while and for something to give the receivers to do in practice besides hit the blocking sleds another few hundred times, it is long past and is no more. We saw Georgia Tech defeat those pesky FSU 'Noles yesterday.

Frankly, we are committed for better or worse to the Riley approach for a period of time. He will either get things going in a better direciton by next season or he won't. After two disasterous seasons (I consider 3-9 to be disasters certainly), I am confident that changes will occur. Perhaps Riley can change his style by adding key assistants to the staff who can help him convert to a "Nebraska brand of football" as described above if his west coast style fails. Otherwise, Riley will retire and move on and Nebraska will scour the country seeking the next 'right fit' and maybe, with a bunch of luck and devine intervention, ":Nebraska football" as we all so desperately desire it, will again be restored and prevail across the college football realm.

I will put this on every thread that has something pertaining to the thought that Langsdorf is committing to the run. Committing to the run is more than just the number of times you do it. If you want to commit to the run, you should have an actual RUNNING back out there. Not one who runs into the back of his own line and falls down and is good at pass protection.

Nebraska had 61 carries the day Rex Burkhead had 38 carries. That's not comparable to yesterday's 38 total rushes. Also the lack of commitment to the run is tough to judge. These coaches brought a bland, pro style offense to a team that is designed to run more of a spread, zone read type of attack. You'd think we'd run more zone read or even spread option which Tommy is great at but instead we run bland dives and qb powers.

I get that they want to run more of a pro style approach but it should be a given that you play to your strengths each year! This isn't a comparison of talent but I wonder what Baylor and TCU's offense would look like under Riley and Langsdorf

• Fire 1

Major fail, OP.

"Committing to the run" means more than the number of running plays. It also means (1) running the ball with your best running back (not pass blocker), (2) placing an emphasis on run blocking in practice, and (3) coming up with more innovative running plays than "Run into Pile" and "Run to Sideline."

Say what you will about Beck and his tendency to see something shiny in the stands and lose focus, but the dude knew how to draw up some clever running plays and blocking schemes, and knew who his playmakers were. If Beck had run the ball 38 times with the punter while Rex Burkhead was on the sideline, healthy, would you have said we had "committed to the run"? Of course not.

With Langsdorf, you almost get the feeling that he is just running vanilla run plays to appease the fans so he and people like you can point to the run/pass split and say, "SEE? WE 'COMMITTED TO THE RUN.' ARE YOU HAPPY NOW?"

Hujan, that last sentence summed up how I felt after the FB dive with two tights to Jano.

give Beck credit for last year's win over Miami. He knew he had the hot hand with Abdullah, knew Miami couldn't stop him, and ran about 55 plays and threw maybe 15 times, and the net result was an easy W