Pelini vs Riley

ndobney

I don't know the answer to that question, but I do know one thing with 100% certainty: neither Pelini nor Riley are the answer for righting this program.

Have to agree.

I will have to disagree. I think Bo had plenty of years for the administration to form an opinion of who and what Bo was. To weigh Bo's seven (7) years to MR's eight (8) games (even including how disappointing they have been) is just not an "apples to apples" analogy. To agree with you would be to say ... after seeing goat/lincoln84's first 4665/46 posts ... I've concluded that they should not be allowed on this board any longer. The comparison here would be to two other posters on the board that have 7-8 times more posts to formulate an opinion on them.

I don't know if MR is the answer long-term ... and I won't have any input anyways ... but I would hope that the administration has a bit more experience then you or I have.

5 losses by 13 points. all in the last few seconds/minutes of the game.

We have yet to be dominated in a game like we were in several losses while Pelini was at NU. This is a young team that will benefit from these close games and will have a lot of experience and hunger in the future.

We will see if you can say this after Michigan St comes to Lincoln. They will be our first game vs a top team. Right now, we are scrapping against average teams.
  • Fire 2

Pelini's firing was far overdue, and it wasn't *just* about on field performance.

If Riley turns this program into a Top 15 team in year 2 or year 3, nobody remembers this year. Similarly, if he had somehow escaped all those close games to turn in a 10-win year 1, and craps the bed in year 3, nobody will care.

Programs take some time to be defined under a coach. Once that time is given, they have to produce fairly consistently, on and off the field.

If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry xmas.

Here's one that's a lot more believable: If Pelini were still here we would be 7-0. The only thing that kept games close this year was our players. The poor coaching decisions are so obvious you have to be blind to not see them.

Riley won't be turning any team into a top 15 team. I'm sorry. He and his staff are simply in over their heads. They are sub-mediocre coaches. There is no switch that can be flipped to suddenly make them understand how to properly coach football.

• Fire 1

We have yet to be dominated in a game like we were in several losses while Pelini was at NU. This is a young team that will benefit from these close games and will have a lot of experience and hunger in the future.

We have yet to play an opponent of the caliber that dominated Pelini.

Pelini's firing was far overdue, and it wasn't *just* about on field performance.

If Riley turns this program into a Top 15 team in year 2 or year 3, nobody remembers this year. Similarly, if he had somehow escaped all those close games to turn in a 10-win year 1, and craps the bed in year 3, nobody will care.

Programs take some time to be defined under a coach. Once that time is given, they have to produce fairly consistently, on and off the field.

Here's one that's a lot more believable: If Pelini were still here we would be 7-0. The only thing that kept games close this year was our players. The poor coaching decisions are so obvious you have to be blind to not see them.

Riley won't be turning any team into a top 15 team. I'm sorry. He and his staff are simply in over their heads. They are sub-mediocre coaches. There is no switch that can be flipped to suddenly make them understand how to properly coach football.

Bo lost his first game to Northwestern, too. Bo also lost to Wisconsin by about 120 points (including one to a 7 and god damn 6 Wisconsin team).

Bo would most certainly not be 7-0 if he were here. Probably better than 3-5, but definitely not 7-0. Also, if Bo were still here we'd be running the same system and there'd be less of these "growing pains".

But seriously, why the f#*k do we give a single sh#t about Pelini?

Wisconsin. Oh and Minnesota beat Nebraska the past two years as well.

Bo lost his first game to Northwestern, too. Bo also lost to Wisconsin by about 120 points (including one to a 7 and god damn 6 Wisconsin team).

Bo would most certainly not be 7-0 if he were here. Probably better than 3-5, but definitely not 7-0. Also, if Bo were still here we'd be running the same system and there'd be less of these "growing pains".

"Growing pains" is a nice way to say sucking @$$

"Growing pains" is a nice way to say sucking @$$

Okay.

Which game would we have lost if Pelini was still here?

Both of those teams are much worse than they were the last two years.

Serious question . . . are you really still holding out hope that Riley can turn things around?

Both of those teams are much worse than they were the last two years.

Serious question . . . are you really still holding out hope that Riley can turn things around?

This year? No.

Next year? Maybe.

Bo Pelini is 3-4 at Youngstown State right now. Looks like he's got his own transition struggles.

How could somebody not be hoping Riley turns things around? Of course Husker fans hope he does. He's the head coach of the football team we root for. Until the day when he's not the HC, then hell yes I'm hoping they get it turned around.

Bo Pelini is 3-4 at Youngstown State right now. Looks like he's got his own transition struggles.

How could somebody not be hoping Riley turns things around? Of course Husker fans hope he does. He's the head coach of the football team we root for. Until the day when he's not the HC, then hell yes I'm hoping they get it turned around.

I didn't ask if he hoped for anything. I hope I win the lottery. But I certainly don't expect to.

If you really think Riley is going to turn anything around, that's is some damn fine blind optimism.