Creativity in the run game

True2tRA

I'm not one to jump on the players usually and I know you're not either Kernal, but at some point folks around here need to acknowledge some fault in execution and effort instead of hounding this coaching staff every single week after we lose. In this game, lack of execution was evident as ever.

It seemed like it was bash Langsdorf season on this board yesterday after the loss, and I agree, the offense was pathetic and cost us the game, but it wasn't playcalling.

When the six times you tried to run outside you were stopped for a loss or no gain, you don't draw up more "creative" runs to the outside. That's stupid.

I just think it's more complicated than "Riley sucks!" or "Langsdorf sucks!" or "We have no talent," etc.,. I'm sure Langsdorf didn't call a perfect game. But the constant bashing via monday-morning-quarterbacking does get old fast. You're exactly right calling out those who want us to run "the plays that work."

It's also quite comical how this only happens when we lose. If we win, there's far less criticism. Although in reality there are often many of the same problems. It just illustrates what motivates people, and it doesn't seem to be discovering the truth.

• Fire 2

if8y5X.gif

aigiZE.gif

U3ihzN.gif

05rmVZ.gif

8VniWq.gif

mDqb35.gif

There's what I've got so far. That's from the first half. From what I can round up from stats, we ran the ball 16 times in the first half, and there's six plays that we went outside. I think that is all six times that we tried to run outside in the first half.

I haven't gotten to the second half to see how much we tried it in the second half, proabably have to do that another night.

Maybe a "ton" was a strong statement. It was only about a third of our carries that went outside. Maybe they stuck out to me more because they were so ugly.

Honestly, I'd hope to find less outside running plays in the second half based on the looks of these plays. It'd be more of an indictment on Langsdorfs playcalling if he listened to you guys and went outside with the run game.

It was clearly not happening on Saturday. Point proven in those six GIF's there alone.

So you claim that those are all you found from the first half even though two of them are from the third quarter. That means you're giving credit for 4 out of our 21 rushing attempts in the first half being "outside" and that's a lot to you. Also proves the indictment you proposed on Langsdorf for continuing to run these plays in the second half.

Play 1 - Cross on a Power G type look which is an off tackle kickout play. Not what I would call "outside" but OK.

Play 2 - Newby slides over towards TA and then his first two steps are directly ahead. Looks like the play was designed for him to cut to the right but if you're having to classify this as an "outside" play to prove you're point you're reaching.

Play 3 - Another Power G look that Cross is supposed to run inside the kickout block. If you have to have another one I'll give it to you but why are we running Cross on this play?

Play 4 - Discussed this play earlier. All kinds of screwed up. But again, it's designed to be inside a kickout block.

Play 5 - A QB counter play that is again designed to be inside a kickout block. TA gets tackled about where the guard lined up - not exactly outside.

Play 6 - This is an outside play.

So exactly one of these plays is to our speed back. And that's the biggest reach to try to call it an "outside" play. By your reasoning, we ran Cross on "outside" plays on half his carries. Explain to me how that makes any sense.

• Fire 2

I guess I see where you say the tackle kicks out so in your world that doesn't count as an "outside" run, but in my world, if it's outside the tackle box then it's an outside run.

The second one is borderline. I think he did try to bounce it outside, not sure if it is designed that way. Still proves my point. There was some very poor effort and execution up front.

The plays I put in there from the 3rd quarter was just my mistake. I didn't see that when I made those GIFs. It'd be funny if we sat here and changed the argument to "why the hell did Langsdorf continue to run outside in the second half!?" considering the entire argument started with people on this board saying we needed to get creative and run outside more often instead of just running it straight down the middle.

Yeah, some of the personnel decisions are baffling. I don't get it.

I won't debate the personnel stuff, I agree. I'm just defending the playcalling.

I think 38 carries is showing a fair amount of commitment to the run game, especially when every outside run was a tackle for a loss or darn near it, and the inside game only averaged 2 yards per carry.

There's a reason they say it all starts up front.

I just wish Tommy would make better decisions in the passing game and it would disguise some of the ugliness of the run game. Our passing offense could be scary good if we would just take what is there for the taking, but we continue to try to hit the home run ball and personally, I'm tired of watching it.

The lack of progress is frustrating, but I didn't expect these coaches to be able to fix it all right away. I was hoping for more than what we are seeing but I'm beginning to think they're gonna need some new players in there to get things going in the right direction.

McKewon made a great point about the o-line after the game. The staff plays 10 WR's, 4 RB's, and a lot of defenders, but when an o-lineman isn't performing, his job isn't in jeopardy. He gets to stay out on the field, and stink it up all over the place, while his backup sits on the sideline. The backup linemen might as well order hot dogs and Runzas, because they sure aren't seeing the field.

You mean like this?

Now this wasn't in the run game, but this was a heck of a play called back because of just plain laziness and a horrible effort. There's no reason this offensive linemen needed to go low. What was the purpose? This blocker could've easily kept his feet and drove his hands and body straight into the defender. With a full head of steam it should have easily been a devastating block.

Now I believe #57 took the heat on this one? Maybe, maybe not? I know the cameras go straight to #57 following the play, but I think thats a #55. Again, really hard to see with these ridiculous jerseys that make us play so much better.

That is exactly what an OL is coached to do there. The "drive block" isn't usually employed downfield. Even Weigert used to cut in space. I thought the penalty was weak, too. I don't think he violated the rule, but admittedly, they recently changed how guys are allowed to cut block.

• Fire 1

The lack of progress is frustrating, but I didn't expect these coaches to be able to fix it all right away. I was hoping for more than what we are seeing but I'm beginning to think they're gonna need some new players in there to get things going in the right direction.

What possibly makes you think new/different players will get things going in the right direction?

This is a .500 staff producing about those types of results. This is not a player issue. Only at Nebraska would fans blame players for a poor start after an inept administration hired a truly average coach.

This may be the most wasted group of talent in the history of Husker football.

• Fire 1

Face the simple fact though, at Nebraska, you expect to have offensive linemen that can line up and smash the defense in the mouth for more than two yards per carry. No matter who is running the ball or who is calling the plays.

It's interesting that all these problems surface after Riley was hired. But, no... You're probably right that it's these horrible players we have, no coach could win 9 games with them.

• Fire 1

Face the simple fact though, at Nebraska, you expect to have offensive linemen that can line up and smash the defense in the mouth for more than two yards per carry. No matter who is running the ball or who is calling the plays.

This is a silly statement. The margin of talent is not and never has been so great that NU could just line up and WWF style dominate another opponent. Even in the glory years, the play calling was the key to putting guys in a position to dominate. The same should be true today.

But my biggest problem in the running game is that it's a hodgepodge. Langsdorf even said as much his post game.

Is it any surprised that college football OL get confused and sometimes "tip toe around" guys when they probably aren't real sure of their assignments?

I hate the "pick a play out of a bag" approach of this (and most) WCO guy.

• Fire 1

It's also quite comical how this only happens when we lose. If we win, there's far less criticism. Although in reality there are often many of the same problems. It just illustrates what motivates people, and it doesn't seem to be discovering the truth.

You're right; the same problems are probably present in the few wins NU had this season. Even at Minny, there were issues if one looked. The issue I have is that people have no concept of perspective. I could go into almost ANY game and pick 6 to 10 plays to put on GIF and then say LOOK THESE PLAYER SUCK!

The reality is, plays are going to break down. The key to winning is putting your kids in a position to have enough plays actually work. But a "ball control" offense with little or no homerun threat is an absolute recipe for disaster in CFB. Even the most talented teams in the country (e.g., USC and Bama) struggle with it. But then you look at "less talented" teams like Baylor, TCU and Oregon (yes, less talented... look at their draft history), and you see kids getting put in position to be free in space by creative design and play calling.

Schematically, NU has one of the most mundane, disorganized offenses that I've ever seen.

• Fire 1

Lack of effort. Lack of desire. This season os over. Time for a youth movement.

What is your evidence for the above statement?

Teams don't fight as hard as this team has fought to stay in and get back into games during this season if they lack effort and desire.

Lack of effort. Lack of desire. This season os over. Time for a youth movement.

What is your evidence for the above statement?

Teams don't fight as hard as this team has fought to stay in and get back into games during this season if they lack effort and desire.

we used that excuse for bo for 7 years while everyone ignored how the holes were dug to begin with

Watch the games. Thats all you have to do. Watch and think.

Its not all players. Its not most players. But footballs an 11 man game. The ultimate team sport. And im having a hard time finding instances where nebraskas playing with 11

Watch the minny game. Then watch yesterday. Then tell me im wrong. I dare you.

You're right; the same problems are probably present in the few wins NU had this season. Even at Minny, there were issues if one looked. The issue I have is that people have no concept of perspective. I could go into almost ANY game and pick 6 to 10 plays to put on GIF and then say LOOK THESE PLAYER SUCK!

The reality is, plays are going to break down. The key to winning is putting your kids in a position to have enough plays actually work. But a "ball control" offense with little or no homerun threat is an absolute recipe for disaster in CFB. Even the most talented teams in the country (e.g., USC and Bama) struggle with it. But then you look at "less talented" teams like Baylor, TCU and Oregon (yes, less talented... look at their draft history), and you see kids getting put in position to be free in space by creative design and play calling.

Schematically, NU has one of the most mundane, disorganized offenses that I've ever seen.

A disorganized offense in year one? Alert the media! :D

How the hell could you have ever watched Tim Becks offense and then dare to even think of uttering those words? Haha! Not a chance in hell this offense is the most disorganized offense you've ever seen. Not unless you just started watching Nebraska football after Tim Beck was let go.