Benning is all about the effort

Red Five

I didn't feel like starting another thread for this and since this thread is about effort, I thought I'd put it here.

Honestly, at this point, I'm not that concerned about winning or losing on Saturday. Yes, it would really suck if we lost to Purdue and I will be happier with a win than a loss. However, what I want to see on Saturday is effort across the board. I want to see players demolishing the other side. Purdue is a team that Nebraska should be able to do that to. Understand what you are supposed to do and do it. We saw some of that in the Minnesota game. I want to see the players pumped up and ready to play.

The more I think about it, I think this is the biggest thing that we are missing and we have been missing this for a very very long time. I think Callahan brought in the NFL attitude where...."This is your job, go out and do it, no need to be emotional about it". That is the absolute opposite of what college football is all about. The entire game is an emotional game and many times, the team that comes to play jacked up (but disciplined) and on fire wins the game. Bo was a hot head on the side lines getting in people's faces. He took it too far and was an embarrassment and in large part, that's why he wasn't as effective as he could have been. That fire needs to come from the team. The HC needs to be the calming influence on the side lines when in the heat of battle. I think that is what Riley is looking for. He wants the fire to come from the team, not from him and that's the way it should be.

These players need to be there excited to be on that field and destroy the other team. We need that on this team. Until that part of the culture on the team changes, I'm not sure the results get much better. BUT, that can't come from the HC. It needs to come from within the team.

I want this team to come out with emotion in this game and be the team with the most energy.

Despite Bo's fiery nature, his teams came out flat a lot.

I didn't feel like starting another thread for this and since this thread is about effort, I thought I'd put it here.

Honestly, at this point, I'm not that concerned about winning or losing on Saturday. Yes, it would really suck if we lost to Purdue and I will be happier with a win than a loss. However, what I want to see on Saturday is effort across the board. I want to see players demolishing the other side. Purdue is a team that Nebraska should be able to do that to. Understand what you are supposed to do and do it. We saw some of that in the Minnesota game. I want to see the players pumped up and ready to play.

The more I think about it, I think this is the biggest thing that we are missing and we have been missing this for a very very long time. I think Callahan brought in the NFL attitude where...."This is your job, go out and do it, no need to be emotional about it". That is the absolute opposite of what college football is all about. The entire game is an emotional game and many times, the team that comes to play jacked up (but disciplined) and on fire wins the game. Bo was a hot head on the side lines getting in people's faces. He took it too far and was an embarrassment and in large part, that's why he wasn't as effective as he could have been. That fire needs to come from the team. The HC needs to be the calming influence on the side lines when in the heat of battle. I think that is what Riley is looking for. He wants the fire to come from the team, not from him and that's the way it should be.

These players need to be there excited to be on that field and destroy the other team. We need that on this team. Until that part of the culture on the team changes, I'm not sure the results get much better. BUT, that can't come from the HC. It needs to come from within the team.

I want this team to come out with emotion in this game and be the team with the most energy.

Effort and being fiery is a good way to come out and play but all that wears off after a few plays. The best way to sustain a high effort is competition. We dont have much competition across the board. Guys should be playing hard bc if they dont it is bench time and the next guy is in. That is why in the NFL it is about responsibility and assignment, not effort. If you dont give effort you will be gone. We have watched the same guys make the same mistakes for most the year and we just ride with it. Our oline knows they will start the whole game barring injury bc they are the "best" 5 and have no fear of someone coming for their spot. Once you are in that comfort zone of having your position, you dont have competition fueling your effort to play at a higher level.

OK....I actually disagree with this. Yes, I wish there was more competition in the position groups for the starting spot. O line is a prime example. From what the O line coach has said, the gap between the ones and twos is significant. And, this can create a warrior mentality in spring and fall camp. However, once the season starts, you simply have to have the fire to want to beat the guys to a pulp in the games.

I am extremely competitive. I don't get fired up because I'm scared someone is going to take my job. I get fired up because I want to win the battle no matter if it's in sports or on the job. THAT is what we are missing. Does the individual O lineman go out on the field from the first play to the last play absolutely wanting to kick the guy's ass across the line from him? Or, does he go out there thinking hard about stepping in the right direction, blocking the right guy, placing his hands correctly bla bla bla....Now, I can see that happening when the team is having to think too hard on the play because they are all new to them. However, at some point, I would think they know at least most of the plays well enough that they don't have to think much and they can just play their hardest.

Someone on the radio pointed this out this week. (May have been Benning) watch the very first play on offense this past week. The tight end absolutely got his lunch ate by the DE. The competition wasn't even close. It looked like a college starting DE going against a HS TE. Well, the DE obviously came into the game ready to kick somebody's ass. Our TE didn't and our RB was tackled for a 4-5 yard loss.

Redfive mentioned that Bo's teams came out flat a lot.

I completely agree. And, I think that is another symptom of this problem. The team should be so fired up for battle that the coaches are having to work to keep them calm. Especially in the big games where Bo's teams tended to have that happen. That happened this year against Miami. How does the team get that back. I don't believe that can be something that comes from the head coach.

I do remember a lot of hope/posts that with Riley here...the best players would play and guys not getting it done would sit...

I haven't seen anything this year that says any different. Some will claim the Wilbon issue but that is pure speculation based on a very small sample size.

And what were people basing the same criticism on in previous years?

• Fire 1

I do remember a lot of hope/posts that with Riley here...the best players would play and guys not getting it done would sit...

I haven't seen anything this year that says any different. Some will claim the Wilbon issue but that is pure speculation based on a very small sample size.

The OLine...and at times QB.

Really? What QB is better than TA that should be starting? Same with the o line.

And what were people basing the same criticism on in previous years?

Don't know. You will have to ask the people who claimed that.

Really? What QB is better than TA that should be starting? Same with the o line.

No clue at all...just crap that I see posted.

I may not agree with everything in your post, but it's a thought- provoking post. Looking back at the 90s teams, I think honesty compels that while the seniors demanded full effort and the locker-room culture demanded it, those players were devoted to TO, Charlie and Milt to a degree much like BP's players were devoted to him. The excitement, the desire and the refusal to accept less than 100% was in part due to the players' devotion to their coaches.

Long way of saying that while I don't like BP's former players tweeting things that are negative to the new staff, it's not to be unexpected. In the 80s the common joke was: "Why does it take Osborne five hours to drive from Lincoln to Omaha? He won't pass." If social networking were around back then I could see players taking to Twitter to defend TO.

Not saying I approve of it, just that I could see it happen. Having said all that I agree with the OP completely that the team does not have, and really needs, a bunch of Jack Gangwishes, guys who get it, live it and breathe it. Until then, we will get what we get.

I may not agree with everything in your post, but it's a thought- provoking post. Looking back at the 90s teams, I think honesty compels that while the seniors demanded full effort and the locker-room culture demanded it, those players were devoted to TO, Charlie and Milt to a degree much like BP's players were devoted to him. The excitement, the desire and the refusal to accept less than 100% was in part due to the players' devotion to their coaches.

Long way of saying that while I don't like BP's former players tweeting things that are negative to the new staff, it's not to be unexpected. In the 80s the common joke was: "Why does it take Osborne five hours to drive from Lincoln to Omaha? He won't pass." If social networking were around back then I could see players taking to Twitter to defend TO.

Not saying I approve of it, just that I could see it happen. Having said all that I agree with the OP completely that the team does not have, and really needs, a bunch of Jack Gangwishes, guys who get it, live it and breathe it. Until then, we will get what we get.

I remember another joke about Osborne back in the day.

Q: Why doesn't like Tom Osborne having sex doggy-style.

A: He can't come from behind.

This is where I believe this program needs rebuilt. I believe we have the talent on this team to do very well against the teams we are playing this year. However, the locker room culture and the attitude during practice and building up to the season is what needs rebuilt. This is why this is going to take longer than plugging another coach in and being pissed off when they aren't playing great football in the first few games.

Great football? How about just adequate football, which would have NU at 5-3 at worst.

I defy anyone to explain exactly what Langs is trying to achieve offensively from play to play.

He's a "grab bag" play caller and unless he radically changes the way he runs his offense, NU will be a .500 team under this staff.

I'm so sick of people speculating about the locker room culture. There's no actual evidence of that as an issue; just speculation based on some unrelated tweets. And I gues some "eyeball tests" around "effort."

• Fire 1

Well.....hmmmmmm.....

I obviously didn't see what I wanted to see and honestly, that is the biggest source of confusion in my head right now. Yes, there are questions on the coaching staff. A prime example is, why the heck do we pass so many times against a team that is so bad against the run. I honestly felt like I was watching Huskers vs. ISU 2004 version. Going against a really bad rushing defense and thinking we need to pass constantly. It makes no sense.

However, my post in this thread was about player effort and attitude. This is what truly baffles me. Did they practice at all last week? Did they watch any films or actually do anything to prepare for this game? OK....I firmly believe that if TA was playing, we win this game. BUT, he wasn't. So...where was the players on the team around Fyfe saying...."Hey, it's your first start and we got your back." Where was the attitude from the O line that they have a new QB behind them and they need to step up their game and protect him so he can calm down and have a chance to be successful? Where was the Center saying...."Hey....I will make sure I hike the ball correctly so he can do his job".

Fyfe made some mistakes and I'm sure he knows that. Throw the ball away....PLEASE. However, most of those interceptions were while he was running for his life.

I honestly have no clue how a football program can come out and play with the total lack of attitude they did on Saturday. I purposely didn't post over the weekend because I wanted to really think about what I saw....well....my attitude hasn't changed. I have never been personally around a sports team that has the talent on it like they do but have the attitude they do at the same time.

Like I said, the coaches made mistakes. However, the players deserve one heck of a lot of blame for that game. I don't care if you have "bought in" or don't like the staff. Where the hell is your pride in going out and kicking someone's ass?

This absolutely baffles me.

• Fire 3