Perspective

Herbie87

I thought I would share this story to momentarily take your minds off the 3-5 record, and put things in perspective a little.

My wife and I both went to UNL, but currently live in southern California. Last Saturday, after our game was over, we went up to USC for their game against Utah to see what the gameday experience is like at the LA Coliseum. Before the game we went to the campus bar to get some food and have a few drinks. Of course we wore our Nebraska gear, because we arent SC or Utah fans. As soon as we got inside, an older guy approached us and told us that he was at the 2007 game in Lincoln, and how it was hands down the best gameday experience he ever had. He thanked us for that and went on his way. 10 minutes later, we were sitting at a table, and another guy approached us to shake our hands and say thanks for the manner in which he was treated while in Lincoln for that game.

We got to the stadium 10 minutes before kick-off, just in time to catch the pre-game stuff and the team running out on the field. I estimated approx. 35,000 people in the stadium at kick-off. It was very surprising that a game against the number 3 team in the country didnt attract a full stadium. Also, during Utahs first possession, only the student section was making any noise. Everyone else was sitting down. I think people were still trickling in at halftime, and there were still whole sections left completely empty throughout the game.

I bring all this up to remind everyone how special Nebraska is. Even with a terrible record, we shouldnt lose sight of the things that make it special. If youre able to make it to most home games, consider yourself lucky, because that experience isnt replicated at every college football venue. The atmosphere in downtown Lincoln before games is top notch (except before 11am kicks maybe), the stadium is always packed, and people treat each other right. Keep it up Nebraska fans, maybe the football gods will reward us with some wins in the future.

• Fire 9

+1. Everyone who posts on here talking about how terrible fans we are needs to read this. We aren't perfect, no fan base is, but I've never seen a fan base quite like us. Sam McKewon talked in his podcast the other week about the Wisconsin game. How we are the only fan base in the country that would sell a stadium out with a 2-3 record and it's absolutely true. Thanks for posting this, and props for wearing your Husker gear at a Utah-USC game.

• Fire 1

Greatest fans, IMO, means most supportive. It's like a family. I can talk trash about them, but no one else better.. Then the family rallies around them. Not liking our current direction does not make one a bad fan. If we make a bowl at 5-7, we will sell our allotted tickets. Man, being in NC, I'd love for them to play close enough for me to go see them again......

Great story and great to see that that "streak" is still intact. No coach will ever lose that. Thats on the fans.

Too all the people that complain about members on this board questioning the play calling, effort on players part, and other aspects of the game, we do this because we take pride in being from Nebraska. People love remembering the great times they had at games and rooting for NU. Taking responsibility for your actions is one thing that has made Nebraska great and seperated us from the rest of the country. Nebraska football is ingrained in the culture of the state, people support the team win or loose but will call out players or coaches that are not getting the job done. This in no way means we are not great fans. It means we want things done the right way from administration to coaches to players. Go Big Red!

• Fire 2

I have heard it said Nebraska fans are the 'most knowledgeable fans' - of course they leave the k off the front end of the word too! I do think Husker fans overall have the highest football IQs and understand the game better. Don't get me wrong, we have plenty of football morons too! But we are critical and love the game for its many virtues. I love the game because of its complex strategy. It is somewhere between chess and a war game with lots of military planning involved. Football requires mental and physical toughness, intelligence, strength, speed, agility, coordination, courage, endurance, teamwork, confidence, endurance, obedience, respect, and etc etc etc.

Football is the greatest game and sport man ever devised in my view. And Nebraska football has been, overall, the purest most perfect brand of football played at any level anywhere. This is why Husker fans insist on maintaining high standards and expect our teams and coaches and fans to strive for excellence. No matter how good we play, we can find things that could have been done more perfectly or better or something. Lately, we are extremely upset because our program is NOT living up to the goals and standards of Nebraska football. On this, we all can agree! Nebraska football is not "Nebraska football" no matter how one measures or defines it.

It is not whether we run or pass, kick or catch, block or tackle, etc. We expect to be the best you can be at each and every aspect. Purity. Excellence!