Take THAT...Bo!

One last time, kids.

Frank Solich had a drinking problem. He also had a young lady problem. Both were threatening to create a Nebraska football problem. Something in the Steve Sarkasian/Carl Pelini realm.

Lies propagated directly by Pedey's minions to lay cover for the botched firing.
Not lies.

Yes, lies. I know this is the internet and everybody knows anybody can say what they want. But I know you won't post ANY type of info to back up these lies (since it doesn't exist). I will say, I know Frank, not real well. I know some of his family members. And I know his attorney while he was here in Lincoln. He was going to sue the AD for slander. His attorney talked him out of it because A) it would be too hard to prove, B) it would just draw more attention to the lies. So he dropped it and moved on.

Those are the facts. Sad that the Pedey propaganda machine is still chugging.

So Frank getting a DUI in Ohio was a lie also?

I think that one actually happened. But wasn't he supposedly roofied or something?

Why yes, by Pedey's Mininons. Who are everywhere, with unlimited resources and an agenda dating back to the Knights' Templar.

That's funny. A sarcastic comment is your one comment in this thread most likely to be right!

One last time, kids.

Frank Solich had a drinking problem. He also had a young lady problem. Both were threatening to create a Nebraska football problem. Something in the Steve Sarkasian/Carl Pelini realm.

Lies propagated directly by Pedey's minions to lay cover for the botched firing.
Not lies.

Yes, lies. I know this is the internet and everybody knows anybody can say what they want. But I know you won't post ANY type of info to back up these lies (since it doesn't exist). I will say, I know Frank, not real well. I know some of his family members. And I know his attorney while he was here in Lincoln. He was going to sue the AD for slander. His attorney talked him out of it because A) it would be too hard to prove, B) it would just draw more attention to the lies. So he dropped it and moved on.

I think that one actually happened. But wasn't he supposedly roofied or something?

Why yes, by Pedey's Mininons. Who are everywhere, with unlimited resources and an agenda dating back to the Knights' Templar.

That's funny. A sarcastic comment is your one comment in this thread most likely to be right!

The people who actually partied with Frank Solich, and I know a couple, might have a different perspective on his infidelity and sobriety than Frank's family, dontcha think?

Steve Sarkasian insisted he accidentally mixed a couple drinks with pain medication. Roger Clemens said he had no idea he was ingesting steroids. It's what you do.

Everybody agrees Frank Solich was a great guy.

The bigger question is whether a pre-emptive firing was in order. Drinking and infidelity have embarrassed other programs, but a lot of the coaches have stuck around. Rick Pitino wins so much at Kentucky, he might skate on hiring hookers to entertain his recruits.

Also, as much as we like to blame the Pederson's and Eichorsts, they don't take these final steps without the input and tacit approval of big donors and alums. Hard as it is to imagine in our current trough, but Frank's 7-7 season did not go down well, and the pervasive undercurrent was that Frank's recruiting drop-off was about to doom the Huskers to mediocrity.

Bob Devaney wasn't exactly a teetotaler. Granted, before my time, but I've heard some great stories.

As far as infidelity goes, it's not a good thing, but it's a personal thing. And as far as I know, none of it every impacted the Husker program (even though apparently it was happening all of the time according to the rumor mongers).

One last time, kids.

Not lies.

The people who actually partied with Frank Solich, and I know a couple, might have a different perspective on his infidelity and sobriety than Frank's family, dontcha think?

Steve Sarkasian insisted he accidentally mixed a couple drinks with pain medication. Roger Clemens said he had no idea he was ingesting steroids. It's what you do.

Everybody agrees Frank Solich was a great guy.

The bigger question is whether a pre-emptive firing was in order. Drinking and infidelity have embarrassed other programs, but a lot of the coaches have stuck around. Rick Pitino wins so much at Kentucky, he might skate on hiring hookers to entertain his recruits.

Also, as much as we like to blame the Pederson's and Eichorsts, they don't take these final steps without the input and tacit approval of big donors and alums. Hard as it is to imagine in our current trough, but Frank's 7-7 season did not go down well, and the pervasive undercurrent was that Frank's recruiting drop-off was about to doom the Huskers to mediocrity.

Frank's '04 class was ranked #14 by Rivals the day he was canned. He also would've likely ended up offering Danny Woodhead before signing day.

And apparently Pedey made the decision without any input from Tom Osborne, who famously said, "I think we could've solved this with 45 mintues together in a conference room."

Frank's '04 class was ranked #14 by Rivals the day he was canned. He also would've likely ended up offering Danny Woodhead before signing day.

And apparently Pedey made the decision without any input from Tom Osborne, who famously said, "I think we could've solved this with 45 mintues together in a conference room."

You keep repeating the bolded. I'm curious if you have something to back it up.

I know that according to Rivals Frank's 02 class was #40 and 03 class was #42.

You don't have to talk to the recent players this year to realize Bo was bad for the team.

It fits the narrative so people will push that agenda.

Tom Osborne was around Pelini a lot. He had an opportunity to hire Gill and he had an opportunity to fire Pelini. Instead, he doubled down on him and also endorsed him for subsequent jobs.

Why do some Husker fans insist believing they know more about Nebraska football success than Tom Osborne? What sort of arrogance does that require?

cm husker, this was an excellent post. +1.

You don't have to talk to the recent players this year to realize Bo was bad for the team.

Tom Osborne was around Pelini a lot. He had an opportunity to hire Gill and he had an opportunity to fire Pelini. Instead, he doubled down on him and also endorsed him for subsequent jobs.

Why do some Husker fans insist believing they know more about Nebraska football success than Tom Osborne? What sort of arrogance does that require?

I don't think you'll find many people that will claim this; however, pretending, assuming or suggesting TO didn't make mistakes is arrogant, too. I'm not saying you specifically are doing this, cm husker, but I have seen people on here in the past get angry any time it's even remotely hinted to TO having made a bad decision.

Frank Solich and Bo Pelini were both his choices and both of them are no longer the head coach at Nebraska. You can blame the new AD's that came in and cleaned house, and that's fair. But, the truth remains that both of his hand-picked selections didn't last here for a variety of reasons.

Is it really so blasphemous to suggest that TO made hiring mistakes? I look at it the same way I look at players becoming coaches. Having played the game doesn't mean you'll be a great coach (Tommy Frazier) and having not played in the NFL doesn't mean you'll be a bad NFL coach (Bill Belichick.)

TO certainly has better experience and understanding than most, but so far, he's 0-2 on coaches following up his success.

There are no links to in-season recruiting rankings on specific dates to provide you, but I can echo that this is correct. The class was #14 in Nov '03 prior to the firing, visits by Muy and the other "Florida Five" were in the works and Pelini was making good inroads on that bunch when the pin was pulled.

Bob Devaney wasn't exactly a teetotaler. Granted, before my time, but I've heard some great stories. As far as infidelity goes, it's not a good thing, but it's a personal thing.

Stories weren't needed. Devaney did a couple of live interviews at some bowl games where he was pretty well liquored up, if I remember correctly. (when he was AD, not coaching).

As far as infidelity goes, anyone who would lie and break promises and cheat on their wife and family wouldn't think two seconds about doing it to anybody and everybody else. I have never met an adulterer who was able to build a firewall that stops just at cheating.

I don't think you'll find many people that will claim this; however, pretending, assuming or suggesting TO didn't make mistakes is arrogant, too. I'm not saying you specifically are doing this, cm husker, but I have seen people on here in the past get angry any time it's even remotely hinted to TO having made a bad decision.

Frank Solich and Bo Pelini were both his choices and both of them are no longer the head coach at Nebraska. You can blame the new AD's that came in and cleaned house, and that's fair. But, the truth remains that both of his hand-picked selections didn't last here for a variety of reasons.

Is it really so blasphemous to suggest that TO made hiring mistakes? I look at it the same way I look at players becoming coaches. Having played the game doesn't mean you'll be a great coach (Tommy Frazier) and having not played in the NFL doesn't mean you'll be a bad NFL coach (Bill Belichick.)

TO certainly has better experience and understanding than most, but so far, he's 0-2 on coaches following up his success.

TO may have made mistakes, but you give him the benefit of the doubt when his hires are .700+, especially the one he actually hired and whose biggest knocks were "can't win games that matter" (proven to be an idiotic metric) and "has a mean face." TO cares about the NU image as much as anyone, and he understood and repeatedly stated that Bo was a great representative of NU athletics, even if he had a mean face and used bad language.

There are no links to in-season recruiting rankings on specific dates to provide you, but I can echo that this is correct. The class was #14 in Nov '03 prior to the firing, visits by Muy and the other "Florida Five" were in the works and Pelini was making good inroads on that bunch when the pin was pulled.

Yeah, the link is dead here, but that #14 statement is listed here:

http://www.huskermax.com/recruits/2004.html

Bob Devaney wasn't exactly a teetotaler. Granted, before my time, but I've heard some great stories.

Here's one:

Frigid winter night in Lincoln. I'm in my living room watching tv, hear a car idling out front for a long time. Pulling up, then pulling back.

So I go out and find this big Cadillac had turned down my street, noticed R street was blocked off, but couldn't back himself out without tagging the parked cars on either side.

So I go out to help, and a really drunk Bob Devaney was happy to let me back the Caddy out for him, and let me point him on his way.

It was a simpler time back then. The LPD helped Bob get home safely on many nights, with no publicity.

Yeah, the link is dead here, but that #14 statement is listed here:

http://www.huskermax.com/recruits/2004.html

This also shows the 2000 and 2001 classes with top ten rankings by Bobby Burton (who became Rivals in '02):

http://www.huskermax.com/recruits/2000_recruiting_ratings.html

http://www.huskermax.com/recruits/2001_ratings.html