Youth movement and offensive woes

It's hard to watch Banderas, I'm starting to think he's never going to have that break out season people claim he will each off season

he hasnt been healthy.

I prefer to see healthy players on the field if the injury involves the lower body. Football players need speed. Maybe a DL can play with a cast on his hand, but a LB needs speed.

We all prefer healthy players, but we literally have no one else to play LB.

why is band eras in in nickel- especially if hurt

Cav is an idiot not rotating.

http://www.scout.com/college/nebraska/story/1604252-cavanaugh-says-no-to-offensive-line-rotation

Hmmm.....shows what you know I guess.

I'm gonna assume Cav has the edge in knowledge of the situation.

Teams do not do an offensive line rotation, they just don't. Starting five should gel, have chemistry, and should be able to get the job done. They aren't. There is an obvious gap in the ability of the guys behind the starting five. I'd say that was pretty obvious when Gates got injured and we saw how it went for the guy that took his spot.

Cavanaugh says if they were good enough, they'd be playing.

Maybe we give Cavanaugh a bit of time to get some of his guys in here, or at the very least coach up some of the guys already on the roster before we go calling him an idiot. Sounds fair to me.

How the hell is anyone expecting miracles from this years offensive line after watching last years offensive line? If that was the best we had last season, then we could've assumed that maybe we were in trouble a little bit? No? Okay I guess not. I keep expecting logic and thinking to prevail. It's obviously a real struggle for some.

I just don't understand the "get his guys" argument. We have won 9 or more games for several years in a row. How many years do we have to be a laughing stock before MR has enough of his guys?

We've been a 2nd tier team for a number of years now going back to at least the Callahan years. Until the S. Alabama game this year we hadn't curbstomped a team in a long time

Maybe we give Cavanaugh a bit of time to get some of his guys in here, or at the very least coach up some of the guys already on the roster before we go calling him an idiot. Sounds fair to me.

Sounds fair to me, too.

But I would like to know when is this "coaching guys up" supposed to start. If I had any say in the matter, it would have started sometime before the Northwestern game.

I'd guess this "coaching guys up" thing is an ongoing process and isn't quite like heating up your Stouffer's Mac 'n Cheese for dinner. I'd hazard another guess as well, that this "coaching guys up" thing takes differing amounts of time for each player because we don't all learn at the same pace.

"The old wait til' he get's his guys argument"......

Forgive me if I'm still chuckling about that......

Maybe these guys aren't good enough? What then? Should Cav own that? He didn't recruit the guys....

Weird how the youngest of the bunch is the best of the bunch too. Totally weird. Who took ownership of the offensive line before Cavanaugh came? Does he still have any ownership? Or did he get to bail out and kind of scapegoat it on to someone else?

You and some of your buddies here like to act like Cavanaugh was handed a Mercedes and is driving it like a Volkswagon. In reality, this Volkswagon has looked better than it has in a long time at certain points of this season.

Might get better if we give it a little more time.......

Or let's fire all these guys and start over! Yay!

Winner of Most Confusing Post Ever!

Sounds fair to me, too.

But I would like to know when is this "coaching guys up" supposed to start. If I had any say in the matter, it would have started sometime before the Northwestern game.

This statement is such garbage.

There have been times this season that the offensive line has looked the best they have in years in this program. During certain games in this season the run blocking and especially the pass blocking has looked pretty good.

Then during those same games it all falls apart and looks terrible.

From one drive to the next you don't know which group you're gonna get. It comes back to that word "consistency". Consistency has been Nebraskas biggest struggle for a very long time. It still doesn't mean the guys haven't done anyhing right. They just don't do it often enough. Especially in that Northwestern game.

Sounds fair to me, too.

This statement is such garbage.

There have been times this season that the offensive line has looked the best they have in years in this program. During certain games in this season the run blocking and especially the pass blocking has looked pretty good.

From one drive to the next you don't know which group you're gonna get. It comes back to that word "consistency". Consistency has been Nebraskas biggest struggle for a very long time. It still doesn't mean the guys haven't done anyhing right. They just don't do it often enough. Especially in that Northwestern game.

You are right about that. If anything was consistent about Bo's tenure here, it was that his teams were inconsistent. They would win a game that we were big underdogs in, then lose to a Iowa State level team the next week. I think that ties into how emotional he was and that made his teams look fragile at times, and then gave them the confidence to comeback and win some games we shouldn't have. You just never knew what to expect week to week.

Maybe these guys aren't good enough? What then? Should Cav own that? He didn't recruit the guys....

Weird how the youngest of the bunch is the best of the bunch too. Totally weird. Who took ownership of the offensive line before Cavanaugh came? Does he still have any ownership? Or did he get to bail out and kind of scapegoat it on to someone else?

You and some of your buddies here like to act like Cavanaugh was handed a Mercedes and is driving it like a Volkswagon. In reality, this Volkswagon has looked better than it has in a long time at certain points of this season.

I'm not asking for anyone to be fired. But regarding the bolded, no they haven't....

The line looked their best in the wins. Even looked solid against Minnesota. But you can go back to Miami of last year, Fresno State last year, and a handful of other wins (since we are only picking "certain points") to see that this line is the same as it was last year. I might even say less consistent this year, but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt because of a new system.

True2, I like Riley, I hope he figures whatever he needs to out and is successful. But at the same time, this year's line is what it is: not very good. Hopefully Cavanaugh can figure out why.

It's hard to watch Banderas, I'm starting to think he's never going to have that break out season people claim he will each off season

he hasnt been healthy.
I prefer to see healthy players on the field if the injury involves the lower body. Football players need speed. Maybe a DL can play with a cast on his hand, but a LB needs speed.

Is Ferguson hurt?

isnt he redshirting?
Forgot about ferguson. He's been playing ST.

But a true reshman Mike or 2 true freshman LBs would be a recipe for disaster IMO. Maybe if Ferguson went through spring ball like young

Coaches have been saying for 2-3 weeks that he's close to playing at LB.

He's been a MLB but has had to learn OLB in recent weeks due to injuries. Tough to ask a TrFr to learn a new position in a couple weeks time.

I'm not asking for anyone to be fired. But regarding the bolded, no they haven't....

The line looked their best in the wins. Even looked solid against Minnesota. But you can go back to Miami of last year, Fresno State last year, and a handful of other wins (since we are only picking "certain points") to see that this line is the same as it was last year. I might even say less consistent this year, but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt because of a new system.

True2, I like Riley, I hope he figures whatever he needs to out and is successful. But at the same time, this year's line is what it is: not very good. Hopefully Cavanaugh can figure out why.

I agree they're not very good this year, I just said they have looked better at times this season than they ever did last season.

I tend to give Ameer Abdullah a lot of credit for much of the statistics and wins last season.

It's hard for me to say an offensive line made up of Jake Cotton, Mark Pelini, and Sterup was all that impressive.

he hasnt been healthy.

Is Ferguson hurt?

isnt he redshirting?

But a true reshman Mike or 2 true freshman LBs would be a recipe for disaster IMO. Maybe if Ferguson went through spring ball like young

He's been a MLB but has had to learn OLB in recent weeks due to injuries. Tough to ask a TrFr to learn a new position in a couple weeks time.

I remember Bo Jackson finishing baseball season, going to the Raiders and starting with less than a weeks practice. The coaches should be looking at depth and making contingency plans for injuries and suspensions. Every company I have worked for does contingency planning for management positions and high skilled positions at least once per year. We often go three deep for replacements, and even plan for someone leaving and taking others with them. Plans are prepared for the replacements to build their capabilities before they are need in the job.

So, that is considered improvement these days?

• They still have high snaps.
  • They still fall into their own players...when they shouldn't be falling at all.
  • They still whiff on chop blocks
  • They still telegraph their intentions to pull on a play, so much so that it draws a flag for not being up on the line
  • They still don't finish plays
  • They still spend more time on their backs than a San Diego hooker when the Fleet comes to port.
  • And we still have the anti-captain as captain on the offensive line, who agrees with me that their supposed improvement sucks...and he said as much.
This statement is such garbage

Your opinion, but I don't see ANY improvement in the line. Just saying that a line is improved doesn't make it so. We can check a lot of different benchmarks to see if your premise hold water...we can start with the W-L record and go from there, or we can look at film. Fair enough?

he hasnt been healthy.

Is Ferguson hurt?

isnt he redshirting?

I remember Bo Jackson finishing baseball season, going to the Raiders and starting with less than a weeks practice. The coaches should be looking at depth and making contingency plans for injuries and suspensions. Every company I have worked for does contingency planning for management positions and high skilled positions at least once per year. We often go three deep for replacements, and even plan for someone leaving and taking others with them. Plans are prepared for the replacements to build their capabilities before they are need in the job.

I'm not sure how tying in Bo Jackson makes any sense here? As for your work example, planning for contingencies is nice, that being said your office has the ability to add staff at any time and there isn't a cap as to how many hours in a week you can spend cross training/bolstering skill sets.

he hasnt been healthy.

Is Ferguson hurt?

isnt he redshirting?

I'm not sure how tying in Bo Jackson makes any sense here? As for your work example, planning for contingencies is nice, that being said your office has the ability to add staff at any time and there isn't a cap as to how many hours in a week you can spend cross training/bolstering skill sets.

I mention Bo Jackson because he cam in and stated with NFL complexity with no training camp and less than one week of practice. It is possible to get a starter ready in a short time frame.

At the office, the reserve roles are filled when needed. People on staff have been identified for management and high skill positions in case they are needed, and these backups are trained so they will be ready when they are needed. The is definitely a cap on the training. These reserves have their normal job to do. The most difficult thing about the entire process was finding the time to train the backups. A football coach should do the same thing. If you are short on LBs, start changing positions before there is an injury, so you don't end up playing someone that is not 100%.

he hasnt been healthy.

Is Ferguson hurt?

isnt he redshirting?

I mention Bo Jackson because he cam in and stated with NFL complexity with no training camp and less than one week of practice. It is possible to get a starter ready in a short time frame.

At the office, the reserve roles are filled when needed. People on staff have been identified for management and high skill positions in case they are needed, and these backups are trained so they will be ready when they are needed. The is definitely a cap on the training. These reserves have their normal job to do. The most difficult thing about the entire process was finding the time to train the backups. A football coach should do the same thing. If you are short on LBs, start changing positions before there is an injury, so you don't end up playing someone that is not 100%.

I gotcha. Well, using Bo Jackson in your example isn't a good one in my opinion. Bo was a complete freakshow as an athlete and is supposed to possess off the charts 'football IQ'.

he hasnt been healthy.

Is Ferguson hurt?

isnt he redshirting?

I gotcha. Well, using Bo Jackson in your example isn't a good one in my opinion. Bo was a complete freakshow as an athlete and is supposed to possess off the charts 'football IQ'.

I agree with comment about Bo. He may have been able to start a RB, QB, OL and kicker. Here is an interesting article bout Bo's 4.12 forty at the combine.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/02/is_bo_jackson_the_true_record-.html