Impossible to Hate Mike Riley

Honestly, who cares if he is a nice guy? I know local priests that are nice people. They would make a terrible head football coach.

I am so sick of this "nice" thing. Since when is that a requirement to be a head coach? Because Bo used some bad words and hurt fans' feelings? It is a joke.

Nick Saban

Jim Harbaugh

Urban Meyer

Mark Dantonio

Brian Kelly

Les Miles

etc. etc.

Are any of these guys nice guys? No, they are all total dickheads.

I was talking about this a month ago, also. To add to it, and maybe I'm overthinking this, but it just seems so ridiculous especially in light of the fact that this is a sport where you're quite literally trained to f*** up the other guy so hard that he has to leave the stadium in an ambulance.

WFT does "nice" have to do with anything?

As poor a fit as I think he is as the HC, and that putting off replacing him is just putting off the inevitable, I think he's a great person. I think his priorities are exactly right. Maybe we should consider him as the AD? I'm sort of serious. He knows coaching and he's even keel and he has the right mindset. then again, I don't know if I'd trust him to fire the right head coach.

Basically, I think you give him the normal timeframe to show something befitting Nebraska standards (including on-field results). If he fails at this, you move on -- and I would expect such a split to be as classy as Muschamp's exit at Florida or Hoke's at Michigan.You hope to find someone with the same priorities and class, and hope for that person to be able to get the on field results, too. Repeat until you find a guy, and keep him as long as you can.

The "normal timeframe" CANNOT involve taking a 9-10 win program and losing 8-9. (Yes, I know it is "only" 6 right now, but get real...) These are decidedly "abnormal" circumstances. This is Ellis Johnson-type incompetence. Historical ineptitude at a level we have not glimpsed since 2004-2007 or the 40's and 50's at Nebraska, while in fact we are approaching one of the absolute lows in the 120+ year history of this program. He has already showed he is incapable of meeting even the most basic of "Nebraska standards."

I was willing to give Riley an 8-5 transition season. I think even the most pessimistic about his history and his 'ability' and I will definitely include myself in that group, were willing to give him a reasonable chance if he didn't back-slide..but you simply cannot lose multiple games against demonstrably and unequivocally over-matched opponents (while displaying head-shaking incompetence in fundamental coaching areas like clock management and game planning) because you are too arrogant, stupid, weak, old, disengaged, hired three incompetent coordinators, or whatever to just go out, run the ball more than you throw it, and win games ugly no matter what, because that's what HAD to be done. For all of Callahan's hubris, at least he admitted it up front...he was going to sacrifice an entire season or more to implement his rotten, poorly-conceived system. Riley spent 10 months lying to everyone, just to tell them what they wanted to hear. He'd have been better off saying that he was going to run a weak, pass-first offense from day 1 regardless of the skill sets of the players in the program or the outcome. It wouldn't have played well, but it's better than being purposely untruthful.

There is no urgency and no recognition of the magnitude of the failure coming from anyone within the program, and clearly Eichorst is beyond tone-deaf. It is a ship that has already hit the rocks and the captain and crew are more worried about trying to preserve the paint job they did on the cabin in the off-season than the fact that the entire ship has already capsized beneath them.

There is a time to be patient and "wait and see", and a time to take decisive, program-saving action. We are now, unfortunately, in the latter category...already...in year ONE.

• Fire 6

As poor a fit as I think he is as the HC, and that putting off replacing him is just putting off the inevitable, I think he's a great person. I think his priorities are exactly right. Maybe we should consider him as the AD? I'm sort of serious. He knows coaching and he's even keel and he has the right mindset. then again, I don't know if I'd trust him to fire the right head coach.

Basically, I think you give him the normal timeframe to show something befitting Nebraska standards (including on-field results). If he fails at this, you move on -- and I would expect such a split to be as classy as Muschamp's exit at Florida or Hoke's at Michigan.You hope to find someone with the same priorities and class, and hope for that person to be able to get the on field results, too. Repeat until you find a guy, and keep him as long as you can.

The "normal timeframe" CANNOT involve taking a 9-10 win program and losing 8-9. (Yes, I know it is "only" 6 right now, but get real...) These are decidedly "abnormal" circumstances. This is Ellis Johnson-type incompetence. Historical ineptitude at a level we have not glimpsed since 2004-2007 or the 40's and 50's at Nebraska, while in fact we are approaching one of the absolute lows in the 120+ year history of this program. He has already showed he is incapable of meeting even the most basic of "Nebraska standards."

I was willing to give Riley an 8-5 transition season. I think even the most pessimistic about his history and his 'ability' and I will definitely include myself in that group, were willing to give him a reasonable chance if he didn't back-slide..but you simply cannot lose multiple games against demonstrably and unequivocally over-matched opponents (while displaying head-shaking incompetence in fundamental coaching areas like clock management and game planning) because you are too arrogant, stupid, weak, old, disengaged, hired three incompetent coordinators, or whatever to just go out, run the ball more than you throw it, and win games ugly no matter what, because that's what HAD to be done. For all of Callahan's hubris, at least he admitted it up front...he was going to sacrifice an entire season or more to implement his rotten, poorly-conceived system. Riley spent 10 months lying to everyone, just to tell them what they wanted to hear. He'd have been better off saying that he was going to run a weak, pass-first offense from day 1 regardless of the skill sets of the players in the program or the outcome. It wouldn't have played well, but it's better than being purposely untruthful.

There is no urgency and no recognition of the magnitude of the failure coming from anyone within the program, and clearly Eichorst is beyond tone-deaf. It is a ship that has already hit the rocks and the captain and crew are more worried about trying to preserve the paint job they did on the cabin in the off-season than the fact that the entire ship has already capsized beneath them.

There is a time to be patient and "wait and see", and a time to take decisive, program-saving action. We are now, unfortunately, in the latter category...already...in year ONE.

For someone who just joined this past Thursday you are a very welcome addition to the board. Another great post +1

As poor a fit as I think he is as the HC, and that putting off replacing him is just putting off the inevitable, I think he's a great person. I think his priorities are exactly right.

Maybe we should consider him as the AD? I'm sort of serious. He knows coaching and he's even keel and he has the right mindset.

then again, I don't know if I'd trust him to fire the right head coach.

I'd like to kick him in the face

Well put. +1 .... I'll never understand MR's unshakeable faith in his "system" and coodinators which have never rewarded him with anything other than to say "We didn't completely suck this year!" every 5 years or so. :wtf

To be honest, I don't see how you guys can seem to hate the man so much. It appears a lot of you genuinely hate the guy though, and I do think it's kind of sad.

While I didn't expect this team to have such a horrible season in the win/loss category, I've seen a lot bad breaks suffered by this team in the game of football and in the injury department.

I don't run around saying I like the guy because he's a nice guy either, that seems to be something most of you haters say. I think the guy is a nice guy and a good coach. I think Husker nation has grown too comfortable with the idea of firing coaches when you see so many people wanting a change after just ten months of hiring these guys.

There used to be a time when firing people was kind of the last resort. Now too many of you seem to think it's the answer. All because you've seen some success stories this season. All the while ignoring all the stories that aren't so successful, both this season and in history.

This situation is unique in the fact that our former coach won 9 games each year. What you've chosen to ignore is how truly close many of those games were to being losses. You've ignored how closely matched many Big Ten teams have actually been to us. We have not separated ourselves as a program since joining the Big Ten. We've actually shown to be right on par with the group for the most part. Capable of winning or losing big on any given Saturday.

Speaking of coaches turning programs around immediately, how's things going at Oregon State and Youngstown?

• Fire 2

There used to be a time when firing people was kind of the last resort. Now too many of you seem to think it's the answer. All because you've seen some success stories this season. All the while ignoring all the stories that aren't so successful, both this season and in history.

Considering how long you were calling for Pelini to be fired (and probably Solich too) I've never seen anything that rang so hollow as this.

I don't hate MR. I think he is a stand up guy and a nice guy. I also think he knows football. I am not sure he is much of a motivator though. I think his players like him, but I am not sure he has the ability or ever had the ability to get his players to play hard for him. I mean to get them to play and give it there complete all till the end. I don't get the feeling they would run through a brick wall for him.

I think that we have had a ton of bad luck on this team this year. Between some games and especially injuries.

But with that said Nebraska should not have lost to Illinois, Purdue and a reeling NW. Those three games I put on the coaching end of things. NW is a great example of not being able to put a team away and not getting your players to give t hat little extra to finish the game. How can any team run 30 more plays and have 18 minutes of time of possession on a team and not win the game? How can a coach not get his defense to get one stop, one three and out at the end of a game to give your offense one more shot. There was 4:30 left in that game and they couldn't get a stop them NW just ran out the clock. NW did that but, Nebraska couldn't do that. They couldn't get 1 first down against Wisconsin to win the game. They couldn't get 1 first down to beat Illinois. They couldn't get 1 first down to beat BYU. Sometimes that stuff comes down to how bad you want it.

I like MR, but I am not sure he is the guy that should be coaching this team.

I don't hate the guy.

Guy is a good person.

Good intentions.

Sometimes it just doesn't work out.

Was taught; "Life is messy. Even when you

mean well."

Riley tried his best; there's no doubt.

Things are a mess.

Some of it out of his control.

I respect his effort.

His push to help NU.

Ultimately, he should retire.

It's time.

He certainly seems like a nice guy. Yes, we are all disappointed with the record thus far, but I'm not convinced firing him is the right choice right now. We've had a lot of bad luck and close games. Is it all on coaching? Some of it? I'm not sure, I'd argue some of it is coaching, but certainly not all of it. DPE missing a lot of the season? Other injuries? Can't blame those on coaching. Poor game management and poor play calls, those are on the coach. With that being said, it is still hard to effectively evaluate him as a coach in Nebraska. Yes, he has done worse than Bo did so far. However, Bo left us with a lot of weak positions in recruiting. I do think Banker's job should be under fire though, the defense has not looked good against the pass. Can Mike cut one of his friends and find us a better defensive coordinator? Thats somethings we need changed, the defensive scheme hasn't worked against the pass. Rush defense looks good? Yes, but why run if you can throw all over the defense?

With a better defensive scheme, we have a much better record than we are seeing right now. Offense has had iffy play calls, but we have also shown some good signs. Running game is obviously worse without Ameer and Kenny Bell being gone doesn't help. Kenny was a play maker last year and his presence is missed.

HCMR has a good opportunity at Nebraska to hire a better defensive coordinator than he had at OS. Before firing HCMR, let's see what he chooses to do with his staff. If he isn't willing to let go one of his friends, as we've seen before with coaches here, then I think firing him comes into the question.

HCMR has a good opportunity at Nebraska to hire a better defensive coordinator than he had at OS. Before firing HCMR, let's see what he chooses to do with his staff. If he isn't willing to let go one of his friends, as we've seen before with coaches here, then I think firing him comes into the question.

He had all the opportunity to do so when hired.

Instead, he hired his best friend.

He did this at Oregon State.

He refused to fire Banker.

Now Riley is at DONU.

Banker has come along for the ride.

If he wouldn't fire him at OSU,

He won't fire him now.

Just give it time. Dude is a very smooth talker and knows the right thing to say. He's had plenty of press experience with garbage records. Eventually you will get tired of the bullsh#t he's spewing. He acts like everything is fine and this is normal and part of the process. Well this isn't f'ing Oregon State where it was fine. This is a top 5 powerhouse with fans that travel more, spend more, attend more than any other fan base in the country. You are doing this entire state a disservice and we should not stoop down to some smooth words in a PC. We lost to PURDUE, ILLINOIS, and NORTHWESTERN in the SAME YEAR. The entire Nebraska fan base was not here the last time we had 6 losses going into November…because it's NEVER HAPPENED. And it shouldn't. Not at Nebraska. Even if we are delusional and expect to compete for championships year in and year out we sure as hell should never have to worry about fielding a product that can't make it to a bowl game let alone anything less than 7-8 wins.

• Fire 1

Just give it time. Dude is a very smooth talker and knows the right thing to say. He's had plenty of press experience with garbage records. Eventually you will get tired of the bullsh#t he's spewing. He acts like everything is fine and this is normal and part of the process. Well this isn't f'ing Oregon State where it was fine. This is a top 5 powerhouse with fans that travel more, spend more, attend more than any other fan base in the country. You are doing this entire state a disservice and we should not stoop down to some smooth words in a PC. We lost to PURDUE, ILLINOIS, and NORTHWESTERN in the SAME YEAR. The entire Nebraska fan base was not here the last time we had 6 losses going into November…because it's NEVER HAPPENED. And it shouldn't. Not at Nebraska. Even if we are delusional and expect to compete for championships year in and year out we sure as hell should never have to worry about fielding a product that can't make it to a bowl game let alone anything less than 7-8 wins.

I'll get right to work banning the five week October.