Impossible to Hate Mike Riley

As poor a fit as I think he is as the HC, and that putting off replacing him is just putting off the inevitable, I think he's a great person. I think his priorities are exactly right.

Maybe we should consider him as the AD? I'm sort of serious. He knows coaching and he's even keel and he has the right mindset.

then again, I don't know if I'd trust him to fire the right head coach.

• Fire 4

I listen to him and, even though he sucks up to his superiors, (let's face it, most of us do), it is still hard not to like the guy. And to want to believe in him and to want him to do well.

And that is part of being a fan. I cheered Tom's Huskers because that's what I do, but when we beat Miami, my joy went beyond the game. Coach was such a good guy. And to have him win the National Championship, well, I thought it was deserved and I was OVER THE MOON to see it come to pass.

In the last days of Bo, I really think that if he would have won...we all would have known what was going on behind the scenes. And that would have tainted the whole experience. He would be holding up the trophy in the locker room and saying.... HERE'S YOUR F%%#ing conference championship Nebraska. Now ram it up your a@@.

I hate our record. But it is nice to be able to truly like the coach again.

• Fire 4

I don't hate Riley, hell I don't even know him personally. I don't think i've ever said anything other than he is not the coach for NU. I'm pretty sure if any of us met him in person we would absolutely love the guy and yet still think he's not a fit at NU. I think once the people above him are replaces though he may just move on as he will see the writing on the wall and unfortunately it needs to be done.

• Fire 1

Honestly, who cares if he is a nice guy? I know local priests that are nice people. They would make a terrible head football coach.

I am so sick of this "nice" thing. Since when is that a requirement to be a head coach? Because Bo used some bad words and hurt fans' feelings? It is a joke.

Nick Saban

Jim Harbaugh

Urban Meyer

Mark Dantonio

Brian Kelly

Les Miles

etc. etc.

Are any of these guys nice guys? No, they are all total dickheads.

Les Miles is a dick, but he's a hilarious dick. He's great in pressers.

As poor a fit as I think he is as the HC, and that putting off replacing him is just putting off the inevitable, I think he's a great person. I think his priorities are exactly right.

Maybe we should consider him as the AD? I'm sort of serious. He knows coaching and he's even keel and he has the right mindset.

then again, I don't know if I'd trust him to fire the right head coach.

Basically, I think you give him the normal timeframe to show something befitting Nebraska standards (including on-field results). If he fails at this, you move on -- and I would expect such a split to be as classy as Muschamp's exit at Florida or Hoke's at Michigan.

You hope to find someone with the same priorities and class, and hope for that person to be able to get the on field results, too. Repeat until you find a guy, and keep him as long as you can.

I really appreciate these things about Riley, but he's not even close to the only coach in the world who can bring that to the table. Really, it comes down to administrative priorities: if they place enough value on this, it will reflect in *any* coaching hire they ever make. I'm confident in the (current) NU administration to do that.

Basically, I think you give him the normal timeframe to show something befitting Nebraska standards (including on-field results). If he fails at this, you move on -- and I would expect such a split to be as classy as Muschamp's exit at Florida or Hoke's at Michigan.

What is a normal time frame under these circumstances? We're staring down the barrel of 3-9 or 4-8. Has any prestigious program fired a coach following a 9-4 season, turned around and fell to 3-9, and then gave the new coach much more time to "rebuild?" I'm guessing we're in a unique situation and it may call for a unique time frame, not a normal one.

• Fire 1

What is a normal time frame under these circumstances? We're staring down the barrel of 3-9 or 4-8. Has any prestigious program fired a coach following a 9-4 season, turned around and fell to 3-9, and then gave the new coach much more time to "rebuild?" I'm guessing we're in a unique situation and it may call for a unique time frame, not a normal one.

Callaclown comes to mind. Are we still happy we gave him the time to get his guys?