Impossible to Hate Mike Riley

I logged in for the first time in months just to say I feel severe dislike towards him. I don't think he cares. He stands on the sidelines, playing with his sweatshirt strings, staring off into space looking for an exit, when he finds one he takes off his headset and QUITS on the team. What is he doing on the sidelines. I will get flamed for this one, I don't care. I would like to know exactly what MR is doing to improve the team. I do not believe for a second that the majority of these kids don't want to get better. Why aren't they? And why do the players sound more knowledgable and like better leaders in the pressers? It is really bothering me.

Honestly, who cares if he is a nice guy? I know local priests that are nice people. They would make a terrible head football coach.

I am so sick of this "nice" thing. Since when is that a requirement to be a head coach? Because Bo used some bad words and hurt fans' feelings? It is a joke.

Nick Saban

Jim Harbaugh

Urban Meyer

Mark Dantonio

Brian Kelly

Les Miles

etc. etc.

Are any of these guys nice guys? No, they are all total dickheads.

Thank you.

I listen to him and, even though he sucks up to his superiors, (let's face it, most of us do), it is still hard not to like the guy. And to want to believe in him and to want him to do well.

And that is part of being a fan. I cheered Tom's Huskers because that's what I do, but when we beat Miami, my joy went beyond the game. Coach was such a good guy. And to have him win the National Championship, well, I thought it was deserved and I was OVER THE MOON to see it come to pass.

In the last days of Bo, I really think that if he would have won...we all would have known what was going on behind the scenes. And that would have tainted the whole experience. He would be holding up the trophy in the locker room and saying.... HERE'S YOUR F%%#ing conference championship Nebraska. Now ram it up your a@@.

I hate our record. But it is nice to be able to truly like the coach again.

That's exactly how I feel. Good post + 1

I don't hate MR. I think he is a stand up guy and a nice guy. I also think he knows football. I am not sure he is much of a motivator though. I think his players like him, but I am not sure he has the ability or ever had the ability to get his players to play hard for him. I mean to get them to play and give it there complete all till the end. I don't get the feeling they would run through a brick wall for him.

I think that we have had a ton of bad luck on this team this year. Between some games and especially injuries.

But with that said Nebraska should not have lost to Illinois, Purdue and a reeling NW. Those three games I put on the coaching end of things. NW is a great example of not being able to put a team away and not getting your players to give t hat little extra to finish the game. How can any team run 30 more plays and have 18 minutes of time of possession on a team and not win the game? How can a coach not get his defense to get one stop, one three and out at the end of a game to give your offense one more shot. There was 4:30 left in that game and they couldn't get a stop them NW just ran out the clock. NW did that but, Nebraska couldn't do that. They couldn't get 1 first down against Wisconsin to win the game. They couldn't get 1 first down to beat Illinois. They couldn't get 1 first down to beat BYU. Sometimes that stuff comes down to how bad you want it.

I like MR, but I am not sure he is the guy that should be coaching this team.

I agree with your last paragraph and disagree with your first one. You don't pull the level of upsets Riley has over his career without getting your kids to sell out for you.

Getting sick of the Mr. Rogers shtick, to be honest. This is uncharted territory in Husker history, and you don't just brush that off the cuff, asking about the Royals. Football's pretty much all we got here, Mike, and you're crapping all over it, so you better get it together soon. If you can pull off a win over either MSU or Iwegia, you might have a shot. No close losses or moral victory crap, because it's never been good enough around here. Score at least one more point than them at double zeroes, and we'll probably forgive the rest of a horrible year, with some hope for your golden boy QB to come in here next year and turn the ship around. Go Big flippin Red.

• Fire 1

You don't pull the level of upsets Riley has over his career without getting your kids to sell out for you.

Then by that argument, what is happening when he's the upset victim?

*shrugs* it's alot. The issues have been beaten to death this season. Lack of execution, coaching, effort, etc.

You don't pull the level of upsets Riley has over his career without getting your kids to sell out for you.

Then by that argument, what is happening when he's the upset victim?

*shrugs* it's alot. The issues have been beaten to death this season. Lack of execution, coaching, effort, etc.
sSee sacramento State, Portland State, Eastern Washington, etc.

You see it isn't a new thing with him. This is his style and it isn't shocking.

Some of us were pointing this out since the hiring for every one upset he pulled once every two out three years there were usually three or more head scratching loses in between. AND some of those bad loses weren't even close

I think he's a great person. I think his priorities are exactly right.

He knows coaching and he's even keel and he has the right mindset.

Sounds like we should give him some time to figure things out then if he's got all these things going for him.

you-serious-clark-o.gif

What's been the last 30 years (and 6 games)?