How do we begin to have access to top 10, 5* recruits?

chainsaw

Recruits want to come to a winning program with potential for the future. That's not NU right now.

So we have 1 losing season and now we're not a winning program? There aren't many P5 schools with the tradition, facilities, fan support, etc that we have that have the upside we have as well. Now I know having a lot of upside isn't a good thing but being able to walk into a recruits home and tell them "you can start for 4 years and help re-establish one of the national powers in CFB" has to be enticing.

I don't think most 17-18 year old recruits know about our tradition, facilities, fan support etc. We have been out of the spotlight for too long unfortunately. After Callahan's system was installed with better pieces in place he had us going in a decent direction. Recruiting looked good for several years, even though we really never completely turned the corner. I think the 2nd USC game sank that ship. Bo raised the ship from the depths, but also could never fully turn the corner or recruit as well as BC.

We lost to 7th ranked Texas Tech in OT

Close loss to 13th ranked VT

The 1 point 1 second loss to Texas

losing to OK in Big12 CG after going up 17-0

If those were wins, we may have been better than 9-10 wins going forward.

I'm 100% with you on the bolded part. Those games go the other way and who knows where we are right now. But as far as the kids not knowing about us, that is the job of the recruiters to educate the kids on that stuff.

Was Bob Deveny a top tier coach when he was hired?

Did we have better facilities when he was hired?

Was the cupboard full when he was hired?

What he did have was the ability to light up a room. He was the type of guy everyone wanted to be around. He was the kind of guy that made made the people around him better players, coaches, and fans. He had high expectations and made no excuses.

That's the kind of guy Nebraska needs again.

I don't believe really top flight QB's, that wanna make it to NFL are going to come here, to run the ball. Great receivers who don't have the droppese, will come when we have a great QB. Great offensive linemen, who everytime nfl scout evaluate them, it gets brought up that they have never been taught to pass block probably cross us off the list right away. If you wanna keeping running a program, that has to hope and pray for overacheivers, then lets keep doing what we been doing the last 7yrs. I don't see one senior being drafted this year.

Lol. Mike Riley, why are you on Huskerboard?

Only way is if you hire a big-name elite coach who top recruits want to play for -- someone like Saban, Meyer, etc. The only guy even remotely close to that level that we'd have a slight shot at getting would be Jim Tressel.

Why in the world would a top flight coach want to say yes to Nebraska? It's not going to happen - Geesh! An up and comer? Perhaps, but even that is iffy.

I am convinced you are either Bo Pelini or Coach Kaz

Houston is a unique job. If I were and up and comer to the coaching ranks, thats a great job to have. Just getting the inner city kids from Houston that know one else wanted, builds you a pretty fine team from the start. That is an underrated job, in my opinion.

The right coach, right mentality, and the right fit are keys for recruiting the correct players to Nebraska. Useless to spend so much time getting players from the West Coast to come here. Best thing to it get Texas kids, schedule OU on a regular basis, and you will have that marquee game to get back the Texas pipeline once again. Schedule yearly games against Rice, Houston, Utep, OU, TEXAS, TCU and other Texas schools. Not hard to establish a foot print in that region once again. Scheduling is key. Get rid of South Alabama, BYU, and Miami's and get into our backyard of recruiting once again. REally not that hard to figure out if you ask me.