How do we begin to have access to top 10, 5* recruits?

chainsaw

Recruits want to come to a winning program with potential for the future. That's not NU right now.

So we have 1 losing season and now we're not a winning program? There aren't many P5 schools with the tradition, facilities, fan support, etc that we have that have the upside we have as well. Now I know having a lot of upside isn't a good thing but being able to walk into a recruits home and tell them "you can start for 4 years and help re-establish one of the national powers in CFB" has to be enticing.

I don't think most 17-18 year old recruits know about our tradition, facilities, fan support etc. We have been out of the spotlight for too long unfortunately. After Callahan's system was installed with better pieces in place he had us going in a decent direction. Recruiting looked good for several years, even though we really never completely turned the corner. I think the 2nd USC game sank that ship. Bo raised the ship from the depths, but also could never fully turn the corner or recruit as well as BC.

We lost to 7th ranked Texas Tech in OT

Close loss to 13th ranked VT

The 1 point 1 second loss to Texas

losing to OK in Big12 CG after going up 17-0

If those were wins, we may have been better than 9-10 wins going forward.

• Fire 1

Only way is if you hire a big-name elite coach who top recruits want to play for -- someone like Saban, Meyer, etc. The only guy even remotely close to that level that we'd have a slight shot at getting would be Jim Tressel.

I'm not even sure Tressel would pack a punch anymore. He's what 5 years removed from coaching at this point. He's been out of it long enough that some of these kids probably have only faint memories of him at this point. They were in 7th grade when he last coached. I have a 7th grader now who can probably name

Most players on the roster for any MLB team and likely none of the managers.

• Fire 1

Only way is if you hire a big-name elite coach who top recruits want to play for -- someone like Saban, Meyer, etc. The only guy even remotely close to that level that we'd have a slight shot at getting would be Jim Tressel.

Why in the world would a top flight coach want to say yes to Nebraska? It's not going to happen - Geesh! An up and comer? Perhaps, but even that is iffy.

The whole facility arguement has gone by the wayside. There are alot more programs now with top notch facilities, not just Nebraska. We have better facilities 15-20 years ago, but now everyone has caught up to that.

What most programs don't have is 5 National champ Trophies in there facilities to show recruits. Thats what is missing.

Bo and his staff didn't bust there balls to recruit 5 star players. They saw Alabama, Texas, OU, and decided it wasn't worth there time to pursue those players. Rarely, if you look at recruiting sites, did you ever see a player with offers from OU, Texas, Alabama, Florida St and Nebraska. More times than not, you saw Kansas, KSU, Iowa, Iowa ST or even worse Western Kentucky, Ohio, Toledo....etc if you catch my drift.

If you want the 5star players, go and recruit them. CAn't get them if you don't try.

• Fire 2

Win games.

Basically this. When Bo was winning games and on the rise in 2009-2011 we were right down to the wire with a couple 5 stars in Andrus Peat and Owa. Heck in 2011 we had a class that was rated in the top 15. All it takes is winning.

But.....those guys didn't come here.

I could say the same thing that there are some absolute stud athletes looking at us right now. If they don't sign, it doesn't mean squat.

• Fire 1

Win games.

Basically this. When Bo was winning games and on the rise in 2009-2011 we were right down to the wire with a couple 5 stars in Andrus Peat and Owa. Heck in 2011 we had a class that was rated in the top 15. All it takes is winning.

But.....those guys didn't come here.

I could say the same thing that there are some absolute stud athletes looking at us right now. If they don't sign, it doesn't mean squat.

We did get Aaron Green though who was a 5 star. Forgot to mention him in my original post

Same argument made when people were saying TO needed to change his system.

Reality: NU will never access those types of recruits consistently, unless it starts cheating heavily.

Not to mention, recruiting 5*'s isn't worth much if you get results like USC or Texas has had of late. Recruiting is not a cure all.

Great coaching AND great recruiting... is how top notch modern football programs are run.

If great recruiting is essential to success why would you downplay it ? Why would you make it out to be something not important.

Last but not least... great recruiting helps set up the NEXT coach for success.

Reality: NU will never access those types of recruits consistently, unless it starts cheating heavily.

Not to mention, recruiting 5*'s isn't worth much if you get results like USC or Texas has had of late. Recruiting is not a cure all.

Great coaching AND great recruiting... is how top notch modern football programs are run.

If great recruiting is essential to success why would you downplay it ? Why would you make it out to be something not important.

No one claims that recruiting isn't important.

My argument is, NU recruiting is going to be pretty static relative to other programs, and like other programs, will often by the product of proximity. When there's an influx of regional talent, NU will have more success. During lean years, we have to "ride it out."

Recruiting is vital, but let's also be honest: this staff isn't showing any real promise that they will land more talent than the last staff or the staff before that did.

Why in the world would a top flight coach want to say yes to Nebraska? It's not going to happen - Geesh! An up and comer? Perhaps, but even that is iffy.

Where did I say a top flight coach would say yes?

My argument is, NU recruiting is going to be pretty static relative to other programs, and like other programs, will often by the product of proximity. When there's an influx of regional talent, NU will have more success. During lean years, we have to "ride it out."

Recruiting is vital, but let's also be honest: this staff isn't showing any real promise that they will land more talent than the last staff or the staff before that did.

Agreed. While we have some top talent looking at us (Keyshawn Jr. and his buddies, for example) I'd be shocked if any of them actually sign with us. I have a feeling we'll have to reach just to fill this class.

Agreed. While we have some top talent looking at us (Keyshawn Jr. and his buddies, for example) I'd be shocked if any of them actually sign with us. I have a feeling we'll have to reach just to fill this class.

In all honesty, I doubt we'll even see even 1 of them sign with us.