How do we begin to have access to top 10, 5* recruits?

chainsaw

I don't believe really top flight QB's, that wanna make it to NFL are going to come here, to run the ball. Great receivers who don't have the droppese, will come when we have a great QB. Great offensive linemen, who everytime nfl scout evaluate them, it gets brought up that they have never been taught to pass block probably cross us off the list right away. If you wanna keeping running a program, that has to hope and pray for overacheivers, then lets keep doing what we been doing the last 7yrs. I don't see one senior being drafted this year.

Same argument made when people were saying TO needed to change his system.

Reality: NU will never access those types of recruits consistently, unless it starts cheating heavily.

Not to mention, recruiting 5*'s isn't worth much if you get results like USC or Texas has had of late. Recruiting is not a cure all.

The NFL doesn't like most college offenses because of the difficult time transitioning many positions. It was never a very good argument in the past, but it's really not a very good argument now.

You run your program the way you need to run it to make it work. You don't run it to satisfy the needs of somebody else.

You don't need an NFL caliber QB to win in college. You need a winner, someone that raises the play of guys around him. That is something that NU truly hasn't had since Eric Crouch. He could put a team on his shoulders and lead them to a victory. TA is good, but he is not at that level, because he makes too many bad decisions when he needs to make plays.

A great QB can change a lot of what ails a team. POB may be that guy in Riley's offense. IMO I think Riley was doubling down on red shirting a lot of guys in this class. I know he has played a lot of true freshman, but does anyone not think that a 6'7" Dashawn Neal could have helped or the 2 stud CB may have helped. I truly think he thought he could get through this season going around 8-4 and planning for the future.

The injuries have hurt, and we have had some bad luck, but this team should not have lost to Illinois or Purdue and probably should not have lost to NW. These loses are more on the way the game was played, the way MR wants to play the game. He refused to commit to the run when doing so may have won all those games.

I say you look at Dantonio, even though he has a much better recruiting hotbed. Win 11-12 games and/or a CCG. Same thing every previous staff here was trying to do. Until then, or until you cheat, or until you just go out and hire recruiters regardless of coaching ability...ain't happening here. Bray is the only star recruiter on this staff. Just so happens he's a good coach, too, but he is obviously the exception.

I've actively followed recruiting for the past decade. No figures will be available for at least a couple years, but i estimate that we've at least doubled, if not tripled, the recruiting budget under Riley and added infinitely more manpower and resources to recruiting than ANY previous Nebraska staff EVER had. To date, there has been little to no actual ROI on that investment. We are getting commitments from the exact same type of 2-4* players we always have. The only difference is what system they are best suited for. There is nothing particularly wrong or bad about that, but this myth that Riley is some hotshot recruiter is just that. Riley is not breaking any new ground. He is continuing the positive momentum the previous staff had built thr most recent 2-3 classes, which is fine, but until we see some bonfide results, it's hard to say that the average, classes will improve much at all. I'm not arguing we didn't absolutely need the resources or infrastructure, because we did, but Riley is doing a little more than treading water at this point, and the losses piling up make their long-term job security a valid issue and a neg recruiting point for everyone else. All the good they were starting to do has essentially been canceled out by incompetent game management and poor coaching.

One interesting thing I got from the Dillard interview was his take on Callahan's recruiting. His claim is that it was only John Blake that was responsible for Callahan's rep. Worth listening to for that tidbit.

Recruits want to come to a winning program with potential for the future. That's not NU right now.

So we have 1 losing season and now we're not a winning program? There aren't many P5 schools with the tradition, facilities, fan support, etc that we have that have the upside we have as well. Now I know having a lot of upside isn't a good thing but being able to walk into a recruits home and tell them "you can start for 4 years and help re-establish one of the national powers in CFB" has to be enticing.

• Fire 1