as of today, 10 FBS head coaching vacancies exist

KC Sker

Can we start the Suprrier-to-Nebraska rumors yet?

The fun and gun!!!! YES

Well, he'd be better than Riley, but I don't think "Visor Boy" wants to deal with Nebraska winters interrupting his golf game. He didn't the last time there was an opening he could have potentially filled. He doesn't have many years left either so I don't think we want him, either.

The fun and gun!!!! YES

Well, he'd be better than Riley, but I don't think "Visor Boy" wants to deal with Nebraska winters interrupting his golf game. He didn't the last time there was an opening he could have potentially filled. He doesn't have many years left either so I don't think we want him, either.

What makes you think he's better than Riley did you not see him run SC into the ground??

The fun and gun!!!! YES

What makes you think he's better than Riley did you not see him run SC into the ground??

He's DEMONSTRABLY and PROVABLY better than Riley. Statistically. I've been doing some analysis of Riley vs. other college coaches... I am not done, but here is Riley vs. Saban vs. Spurrier. Riley is statistically WORSE than both in winning %. Spurrier would be a BIG step up.

Note: Left off Spurrier and Riley's latest season since we aren't done with 2015 and left off all NFL data... this is only college.

. NLezMqn.jpg

FWIW I did the analysis removing Spurrier's time at Florida, and if I do that then you can make the argument that Spurrier is not statistically better than Riley, but I would argue that Spurrier's 0.63 winning percentage is still technically superior to Riley's 0.53.

Might as well add Texas to that list as well. Getting shut out in Ames doomed his time there.

That will open up Houston, cause thats where Herman will go. Houston is a better gig than 2/3 of those other jobs.

Its just starting. I think that KSU will be looking for a head man as well, since Snyder has stayed about 2 years to long.

That list will get longer, and it will have more Power 5 schools added to it.

Its hard to sit here and say, lets wait, its also hard to say lets fire Riley and Co. If you knew that Tom Herman would come running this way, I would go and lock him down now.

Right now were looking at Trev Alberts and Scott Frost. That is our only reasonable coaching prospect in my eyes.

Agree with most of this post, especially re; Herman. He is even more sure-fire than McElwain was last year, IMO. Missed the boat on him last year.

I am of the opinion that a Frost hire is the type of mulligan we would ultimately be forgiven for in the big picture and involves significant less risk to the program than retaining Riley only to dump him in a year or two. Oops, we screwed up! Trusted someone to hire a new coach to run our program who didn't know what he was doing and didn't interview enough candidates. We fixed the glitch! Here's the guy we meant to hire. Frost would have for more support on day 1 than Riley did or ever will.

KSU is an interesting one. Snyder lobbying for his kid...probably ain't gonna happen, especially on a losing skid, and the nepotism hires (whether good or bad, deserving or not) just don't pass muster at a state institution these days. (Recall Ferentz having to undergo a review ober hiring his son as OL coach at Iowa a few years back) Sets up a pontentially acrimonious split with the Snyder Family (Stadium). Who are they gonna hire to negotiate that situation and appease Granny Bill?

On Unsportsmanlike Conduct yesterday, one of their guests mentioned a national writer (can't remember his name). Anyway, the guest said the national guy believes there will be more than 25 openings at the end of the year. That is 20% of Div1 college football teams looking for a new coach...

Did anyone else hear the segment and rembember the writer's name?

In a game of musical chairs vs. 24 other FBS schools where we risk Mikey<.500 against the unknown, I'd put money on our fat red polyester-wearing butt still getting a much better seat than we did last year.

Brent Venables is more than likely the next KSU coach, unless a big time job comes calling.

If there are 10 jobs now, that means at least or probable could mean that 10 more will come open. So yeah, more than likely 20 to 25 jobs open this year seems realistic.

Your more than likely talking about Memphis, Houston, jobs of lower divisions in D1 football. From reading more stuff, seems as if Richt is going to be out more than likely at Georgia as well.

So assuming that USC, Miami, Texas, and Georgia are all open, whats the best job of those 4?

This means that If the assumption is that those jobs might be better than Nebraska is right now, we would be 5th best job on the market.

Not the right time to be firing a coach, considering we will not get a top notch coach, unless we consider Frosty that one.

I'm beginning to think that the head coaching position could and should be automated. Riley's clock management at the end of the Illinois loss, and the subsequent rolling up into a ball during the Wisconsin loss are mistakes a well programmed computer would not make.

Some of the easier aspects to program:

-press conference AI

-generalized motivational phraseology

-X's and O's of game play

-Rosters

-Assistant coach hiring, performance tracking and accountability grid metrics

More difficult items:

-recruiting

-Sounding excited about the future of the walk on program

-AI for any dealings with Jim Harbaugh

We have one of the best computer science departments in the world right here in Milford. I think this is doable.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe add LSU to the list. Saw a spot on sports center and Joe Shad says its pretty likely Les Miles will be out as the Bayou Bangles head guy. Presser today; nothing official as of yet.

Shame. I kinda like Les Miles. He's quirky, so that makes him one of the few remaining true characters in CFB.

Other than him, there's Leech at Wazzu, then Saban, whose curmudgeon attitude makes him a character.

Jimbo Fisher is a sleezeball, and I can't find myself liking that fella, but he's kind of a character too.

Other than that, can't think of too many other guys that are oddball.

Maybe add LSU to the list. Saw a spot on sports center and Joe Shad says its pretty likely Les Miles will be out as the Bayou Bangles head guy. Presser today; nothing official as of yet.

Shame. I kinda like Les Miles. He's quirky, so that makes him one of the few remaining true characters in CFB.

Other than him, there's Leech at Wazzu, then Saban, whose curmudgeon attitude makes him a character.

Jimbo Fisher is a sleezeball, and I can't find myself liking that fella, but he's kind of a character too.

Spurrier, but he's gone now too.

Shad says a source "close to the program" cites the expectation of LSU to be contending for champoinships year in and year out and Miles isnt doing that. Obviously this is just Scuttlebutt at this point.

Totally reasonable considering they only have 14 seniors on their team. They apparently want to get Jimbo Fisher, who I doubt will leave FSU. After that, honestly who else are you going to get that's better than Miles? No way they're getting Saban or Meyer. If people thought Husker fans were delusional for wanting Bo gone, wanting Les Miles gone is far more worse.

I am shocked that LSU is going to let him go. Yes, they have had a down year, but the guy brought a Natty to Baton Rouge, and his past five years have been:

7-3

8-5

10-3

10-3

13-1

LSU should look at Nebraska at have a lesson in "Be Careful What You Wish For"

LSU has always jumped from one coach to another. Les Miles is the second longest staying coach at LSU. All those southern schools do it. If their team isn't winning like they think they should, and frankly LSU should never lose more than a couple any year. All they have to do is get the top 20 guys in Louisiana each year and they will have a top 10 class. Auburn will do it to. You watch Gus Malzahn will get 1 more year, but if they are say 7-5 next year he will most likely be gone.