as of today, 10 FBS head coaching vacancies exist

KC Sker

At least people can stop talking about Nebraska firing a 9 win coach...

Boosters have already agreed to pay the $15 million to $20 million needed to buy out Miles and his staff, the source said.

Miles, coming to the end of his 11th season at LSU, has won a national championship and two SEC championships and averaged 10 wins per season while producing 64 NFL draft choices.

He has a 110-32 record at LSU, and his .775 winning percentage is the best of any LSU coach -- including Nick Saban (.750) -- in the past century. Overall, Miles has a 60-27 record in SEC play.

"If we were competing for a national championship this year, well then, we wouldn't be having this conversation," the source said.

Yikes. Talk about needing a touch with reality...a little over one hour before judgment day for Lesticles.

Boosters have already agreed to pay the $15 million to $20 million needed to buy out Miles and his staff, the source said.

Miles, coming to the end of his 11th season at LSU, has won a national championship and two SEC championships and averaged 10 wins per season while producing 64 NFL draft choices.

He has a 110-32 record at LSU, and his .775 winning percentage is the best of any LSU coach -- including Nick Saban (.750) -- in the past century. Overall, Miles has a 60-27 record in SEC play.

"If we were competing for a national championship this year, well then, we wouldn't be having this conversation," the source said.

Yikes. Talk about needing a touch with reality...a little over one hour before judgment day for Lesticles.

LOLZ at the bolded part. It's not that they're being unreasonable, he simply needs to have them in the playoffs!

LOLZ at the bolded part. It's not that they're being unreasonable, he simply needs to have them in the playoffs!

Fairly obvious that it's Cam Cameron. Dude needs to go.

The year before he got there, Mettenburger had a 58% completion percentage. Then, Cameron got there, and that went up to like 65%.

But then Mettenburger left. And the poor QBs started coming in the door.

Maybe add LSU to the list. Saw a spot on sports center and Joe Shad says its pretty likely Les Miles will be out as the Bayou Bangles head guy. Presser today; nothing official as of yet.

Shame. I kinda like Les Miles. He's quirky, so that makes him one of the few remaining true characters in CFB.

Other than him, there's Leech at Wazzu, then Saban, whose curmudgeon attitude makes him a character.

Jimbo Fisher is a sleezeball, and I can't find myself liking that fella, but he's kind of a character too.

Other than that, can't think of too many other guys that are oddball.

I am shocked that LSU is going to let him go. Yes, they have had a down year, but the guy brought a Natty to Baton Rouge, and his past five years have been:

7-3

8-5

10-3

10-3

13-1

LSU should look at Nebraska at have a lesson in "Be Careful What You Wish For"

LSU has always jumped from one coach to another. Les Miles is the second longest staying coach at LSU. All those southern schools do it. If their team isn't winning like they think they should, and frankly LSU should never lose more than a couple any year. All they have to do is get the top 20 guys in Louisiana each year and they will have a top 10 class. Auburn will do it to. You watch Gus Malzahn will get 1 more year, but if they are say 7-5 next year he will most likely be gone.

wow, these fans in L are f'd up!

Guys, realistically, what are the odds Riley leaves voluntarily or not so much so voluntarily after 1 year? I say way south of 5%.

As much as I wished we had hired someone else last year and as disappointed that I am wt this season (only a Iowa win and a bowl win can clean the disappointment off of my face) I see basically a zero chance of a coaching change.

Guys, realistically, what are the odds Riley leaves voluntarily or not so much so voluntarily after 1 year? I say way south of 5%.

As much as I wished we had hired someone else last year and as disappointed that I am wt this season (only a Iowa win and a bowl win can clean the disappointment off of my face) I see basically a zero chance of a coaching change.

That seems to be the general consensus of the board. This thread in particular cites some reasons why axing MR would not be a good idea.

Here in Baton Rouge the rumor is that they are going to fire Les Miles... the TAF (boosters) are ready to pay his $15-million buyout. Their targets are Jimbo Fisher, John Gruden, Chip Kelly, Gary Patterson. Just goes to show that Nebraska isn't the only school with lofty (or as some would say, unreasonable) expectations. Heck, the 9-win coaches we let go never won a NC like Les has, not to mention they were in the NCG another year and lost to Bama. Not to mention they're only 7-3 this year, and 9-3 is definitely possible. A multi-time national championship game contender, one-time national champion, and they're ready to let him go...

EDIT: oops, looks like I'm late to the party

As far as Malzahn goes, I think he's safe for now... he has the #1 dual-threat QB signed for 2017 so barring a total disaster next year he'll still be there.

Firing them this year would do two things:

1) Send a message to every available coach we consider that we expect IMMEDIATE results.

2) Put ourselves in a tough spot as far as hiring a new coach goes with all the other competition from the listed programs.

If you define immediate results as don't win four less games than the previous year, then immediate results means win two games?

With this many openings, my opinion is that it is better to wait one more year. This also reduces the cost of firing the current staff if our AD has enough sense not to extend them. I also hope harvey does not extend SE.

There is no way he quits without another position. There is too much money at stake, on the other hand, the athletic department should let it be known that there is a typo in his contract. There is no buyout for any other program that wants to hire MR, Nebraska will pay another program to take him off our hands :)