Sipple puts the talent argument to bed

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/sipple/steven-m-sipple-nu-record-doesn-t-jibe-with-talent/article_71d259d3-d321-529d-95de-8ad9cd2c852d.html

I trust Big Ten Network analyst Gerry DiNardo's evaluations. He was Colorado's offensive coordinator from 1984-90. He was a head coach at Vanderbilt, LSU and Indiana. Each August, he tours preseason camps. Here's what he told a Lincoln radio station in mid-August:

"We go to Illinois, we go to Iowa, then you walk on Nebraska's field and they just look so much more physically imposing at the line of scrimmage," he said. "That obviously was impressive. I think (the coaches) feel pretty comfortable with 10 offensive linemen in the two-deep.

"And you'd have to say the defensive line is one of the strengths of the team. You get the same feeling when you look at the line of scrimmage as you do at Michigan State and Ohio State. That's pretty impressive company. I think Mike Riley starts his first year with a pretty strong line of scrimmage."

DiNardo also tweeted praise of the development of Nebraska's linebackers.

What's more, he tweeted that "at least 16 of the young players looked very impressive either physically, performance or both."

DiNardo understands football better than a large percentage of Americans. His assessment illustrates that Nebraska's talent isn't as subpar as some suggest.

• Fire 4

Posts that support our players and bolster arguments that we are among the top 3 or 4 in the B10 in terms of talent are not received well here. You'll get very few replies, GBRedneck.

It just doesn't fit the narrative that so many continue to cling to.

There are actually very few metrics out there, if any, that suggest NU talent is worse, let along significantly worse, than Michigan St talent, for example.

• Fire 4

We are not suddenly.....as in the first year Pelini is gone........void of talent after Pelini won 9+ games per year for 7 straight seasons.

Nate Gerry, for example, was being mentioned for all conference honors under Pelini......same with Maliek. Enter coach Riley.

Gerry and Collins didn't lose talent or forget how to play football.

Our administration has made some of the worst decisions in the history of college football. No other.....and I mean NO OTHER......football program has made the inept decisions that have been made at the University of Nebraska.

• Fire 6

BTN breezed in for an afternoon in August to do their annual preview segment of the Huskers. During the segment, Gerry DiNardo pays a complemint to our linemen. And from this we're supposed to draw the conclusion that "Sipple puts the talent argument to bed"?? Ha ha! That's rich. :lol:

• Fire 9

If the talent is there then we wouldn't be starting a record number of walkons. End of story.

So the walkons have no talent? Are you saying Janovish isn't more talented than a lot of scholarship players on other teams?

Silly statement. "End of story" makes it even more comical/

There are always exceptions. Walkons have talent. But do they have enough talent to win a championship? Win against teams like Ohio State or Alabama? If you haven't noticed the teams that recruit top classes every year are the ones winning championships.
  • Fire 1

If the talent is there then we wouldn't be starting a record number of walkons. End of story.

So the walkons have no talent? Are you saying Janovich isn't more talented than a lot of scholarship players on other teams?

Silly statement. "End of story" makes it even more comical.

I think you are misconstruing ADS's point. Is that what you're trying to do?

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/sipple/steven-m-sipple-nu-record-doesn-t-jibe-with-talent/article_71d259d3-d321-529d-95de-8ad9cd2c852d.html

I trust Big Ten Network analyst Gerry DiNardo's evaluations. He was Colorado's offensive coordinator from 1984-90. He was a head coach at Vanderbilt, LSU and Indiana. Each August, he tours preseason camps. Here's what he told a Lincoln radio station in mid-August:

"We go to Illinois, we go to Iowa, then you walk on Nebraska's field and they just look so much more physically imposing at the line of scrimmage," he said. "That obviously was impressive. I think (the coaches) feel pretty comfortable with 10 offensive linemen in the two-deep.

"And you'd have to say the defensive line is one of the strengths of the team. You get the same feeling when you look at the line of scrimmage as you do at Michigan State and Ohio State. That's pretty impressive company. I think Mike Riley starts his first year with a pretty strong line of scrimmage."

DiNardo also tweeted praise of the development of Nebraska's linebackers.

What's more, he tweeted that "at least 16 of the young players looked very impressive either physically, performance or both."

DiNardo understands football better than a large percentage of Americans. His assessment illustrates that Nebraska's talent isn't as subpar as some suggest.

Sipple is a hack.

• Fire 2

BTN breezed in for an afternoon in August to do their annual preview segment of the Huskers. During the segment, Gerry DiNardo pays a complemint to our linemen. And from this we're supposed to draw the conclusion that "Sipple puts the talent argument to bed"?? Ha ha! That's rich. :lol:

There's a little more to the article than the one opinion I quoted. Here's some more:

I considered Nebraska a contender to win the Big Ten West Division. In cleveland.com's annual preseason poll, NU was picked second in the West and received five of 40 first-place votes.

None of the media that regularly covers the team predicted it. That includes 20-some people who watched several practices in August. I know of nobody in that crowd who predicted the Huskers would win fewer than seven games total.

But if it makes you feel better to call our student athletes "untalented", go for it.

• Fire 1

So the walkons have no talent? Are you saying Janovich isn't more talented than a lot of scholarship players on other teams?

Silly statement. "End of story" makes it even more comical.

I think you are misconstruing ADS's point. Is that what you're trying to do?

I think he is misconstruing Sipple's point. There is plenty of talent to win the west. Maybe not to win a NC.