Sipple puts the talent argument to bed

If the talent is there then we wouldn't be starting a record number of walkons. End of story.

So the walkons have no talent? Are you saying Janovish isn't more talented than a lot of scholarship players on other teams?

Silly statement. "End of story" makes it even more comical/

There are always exceptions. Walkons have talent. But do they have enough talent to win a championship? Win against teams like Ohio State or Alabama? If you haven't noticed the teams that recruit top classes every year are the ones winning championships.

How many of the 97 team who had at least one start were from Nebraska?

I believe 9 or 10 of the 11 regular offensive starters were from Nebraska.

I'm not sure how many walk-ons in particular started at any point during that season, but I did find this:

https://sites.google.com/site/nebraskafootballhistory/walk-ons-page-5

Bear in mind that many of those who had become scholarship players by that point also started their careers as walk-ons.

So, anyways, from Nebraska, a very high amount, in addition to many of the contributors being walk-ons or starting their careers as walk-ons.

(Yes, I realize things are different today and it is a bit more difficult to implement such a system today than it was then. Simply trying to help answer Joe's question).

BTN breezed in for an afternoon in August to do their annual preview segment of the Huskers. During the segment, Gerry DiNardo pays a complemint to our linemen. And from this we're supposed to draw the conclusion that "Sipple puts the talent argument to bed"?? Ha ha! That's rich. :lol:

There's a little more to the article than the one opinion I quoted. Here's some more:

I considered Nebraska a contender to win the Big Ten West Division. In cleveland.com's annual preseason poll, NU was picked second in the West and received five of 40 first-place votes.

None of the media that regularly covers the team predicted it. That includes 20-some people who watched several practices in August. I know of nobody in that crowd who predicted the Huskers would win fewer than seven games total.

But if it makes you feel better to call our student athletes "untalented", go for it.

I would advise you not to put words in my mouth.

I was very careful not to put words in your mouth and I will continue to avoid it. :)
No you weren't. You were being a tool telling him he was making fun of our poor defenseless student athletes.

Wrong. Read it again.
"if it makes you feel better to call our student athletes "untalented", go for it."

Just saying something is wrong doesn't make it so. That comment makes you a tool. At least in the moment you make it. I'm guessing there are moments when you're alright.

I didn't mean to imply that you were wrong about me being a tool. ;) It's the other part that was wrong.

The other part wasn't wrong either. I edited my post but I'll say it again. You claimed/implied that Nuance said we're untalented and that makes him feel better. He did not say we're untalented. He said the article doesn't put the argument to bed. Hence you put words in his mouth.

Apparently, you don't understand what "if" means.

If the talent is there then we wouldn't be starting a record number of walkons. End of story.

So the walkons have no talent? Are you saying Janovish isn't more talented than a lot of scholarship players on other teams?

Silly statement. "End of story" makes it even more comical/

There are always exceptions. Walkons have talent. But do they have enough talent to win a championship? Win against teams like Ohio State or Alabama? If you haven't noticed the teams that recruit top classes every year are the ones winning championships.

How many of the 97 team who had at least one start were from Nebraska?

I believe 9 or 10 of the 11 regular offensive starters were from Nebraska.

I'm not sure how many walk-ons in particular started at any point during that season, but I did find this:

https://sites.google.com/site/nebraskafootballhistory/walk-ons-page-5

Bear in mind that many of those who had become scholarship players by that point also started their careers as walk-ons.

So, anyways, from Nebraska, a very high amount, in addition to many of the contributors being walk-ons or starting their careers as walk-ons.

(Yes, I realize things are different today and it is a bit more difficult to implement such a system today than it was then. Simply trying to help answer Joe's question).

I believe there were times when the Huskers started all 11 from Nebraska in '97.

From 2011-2014, NU was 3rd in the B1G with blue chip players........ It's not talent guys. Damn, it's the staff...........

how many are still here? How many have developed to make a contribution.

Ppl wanna spew rankings all the tome. No one wants to dig down. Its been laid out by CoachPowerT in a thread on this very board. Bos best two classes-12 and 13-have turned out to be massive failures.

And yet even with all that Nebraska still has more "talent" on the roster than everyone on our schedule this year except Miami. Most of them by some margin.

BTN breezed in for an afternoon in August to do their annual preview segment of the Huskers. During the segment, Gerry DiNardo pays a complemint to our linemen. And from this we're supposed to draw the conclusion that "Sipple puts the talent argument to bed"?? Ha ha! That's rich. :lol:

Gerry has many years of experience at a very high level. He knows what superior talent looks like at first glance. I played baseball through college. I can watch 2 pitchers throw a 20 pitch bully and decipher who has the better "stuff" based on that quick evaluation. So I very much believe the opinion of a seasoned coach and analyst. But if it can somehow still be Bo's fault then fans like you will be content until Riley is shown the door.

That may be true about DiNardo. Or not. I really couldn't say whether DiNardo is better or worse at evaluating talent than any of the other talking heads. But it's sort of a moot point. When is the last time BTN did a preview segment on a team and said, "Yeah, these guys just aren't very talented." That's what those preview segments are all about: Pumping you up for the season.

And before some troll crawls out from under a bridge and accuses me of saying our team is without talent, I'm not. This year's Husker squad has some very talented players. We have some deficits too. And we've also had a lot of injuries, which affects the talent level on the field. My point above is that the title of this thread is misleading.

• Fire 2

Gerry has many years of experience at a very high level. He knows what superior talent looks like at first glance. I played baseball through college. I can watch 2 pitchers throw a 20 pitch bully and decipher who has the better "stuff" based on that quick evaluation. So I very much believe the opinion of a seasoned coach and analyst. But if it can somehow still be Bo's fault then fans like you will be content until Riley is shown the door.

That may be true about DiNardo. Or not. I really couldn't say whether DiNardo is better or worse at evaluating talent than any of the other talking heads. But it's sort of a moot point. When is the last time BTN did a preview segment on a team and said, "Yeah, these guys just aren't very talented." That's what those preview segments are all about: Pumping you up for the season.

And before some troll crawls out from under a bridge and accuses me of saying our team is without talent, I'm not. This year's Husker squad has some very talented players. We have some deficits too. And also we've also had a lot of injuries, which affects the talent level on the field. My point above is that the title of this thread is misleading.

But DiNardo compared us directly to Minny and Iowa, saying we looked much more talented.

• Fire 1

And before some troll crawls out from under a bridge and accuses me of saying our team is without talent, I'm not. This year's Husker squad has some very talented players. We have some deficits too. And we've also had a lot of injuries, which affects the talent level on the field. My point above is that the title of this thread is misleading.

But DiNardo compared us directly to Minny and Iowa, saying we looked much more talented.

You just really like to argue and try to get under people's skin, don't you?

When is the last time BTN did a preview segment on a team and said, "Yeah, these guys just aren't very talented"? That's what those preview segments are all about: Pumping you up for the season.

• Fire 1

We have talent. Just not enough. And its missing from key spots. And it may "look" imposing in August as it has for years, but doesnt materialize in november. Been this way for years. Its not deep. Lack of depth isnt just a talking point. It creates preparation issues. Scout team, etc. Mentality is also part of talent. IQ is part of talent.

We have talent. Its never been said we dont. I think the point is that were not a talented team. Dinardo can say what he wants about a random august workout. Sipple can defend all he wants. All i have to go off of is 9 games. Nebraska is not s very talented team right now.

Does anyone else actually watch the games?

Do you have any evidence, other than 3-6, that NU has less depth than almost every other team?

Because the things I've seen foisted as evidence evaporate under even modest scrutiny.

• Fire 1

We have talent. Just not enough. And its missing from key spots. And it may "look" imposing in August as it has for years, but doesnt materialize in november. Been this way for years. Its not deep. Lack of depth isnt just a talking point. It creates preparation issues. Scout team, etc. Mentality is also part of talent. IQ is part of talent.

We have talent. Its never been said we dont. I think the point is that were not a talented team. Dinardo can say what he wants about a random august workout. Sipple can defend all he wants. All i have to go off of is 9 games. Nebraska is not s very talented team right now.

Does anyone else actually watch the games?

Do you have any evidence, other than 3-6, that NU has less depth than almost every other team?

Because the things I've seen foisted as evidence evaporate under even modest scrutiny.

Well...NU has less coaching depth...does that count?

• Fire 2

I think there is a lot of talent on this team. The problem, as I see it, is that it is stacked in only a few positions i.e. WR, & DT. There are gaps in the line up at other positions.

Ding ding ding,,,,Yes.

We really need a QB that is not error prone in critical situations, can throw a slant or a screen and keep the ball in the field of play. I like Tommy alot, I like his drive and his not a quitter attitude, I just wish he was a safety using it.

The BTN's job is to get viewers and make those viewers want to keep watching. Building up the bottom 10 teams as far as number of fans isn't important to them. It's the teams with the most fans that they most need to please. So saying Nebraska is more talented than all of those teams doesn't necessarily mean they really think that. There are confounding variables. So no, the argument is not put to bed.

It doesn't mean they are not more talented, either.

Comparing the number of walk ons on a team in the 70s or 90s to our current team and saying it's a relevant comparison is idiotic. Players go where the scholarships are. The population of talented walk ons is much smaller now than it was 20 years ago.

• Fire 1

Back during Miami week, Di Nardo made the claim that Miami was much closer to its championship form and Nebraska was no where close. So where does Sipple get this crap? I wouldn't believe or give credibility to anything that guy writes.

2011 2nd in Big (questionable due to drop outs and busts)

2012 4th in Big

2013 3rd in Big (questionable due to drop outs and busts)

2014 6th

2015 4th

Nebraska is currently in 5 or 6th place in the conference in recruiting. If this continues, we will be conference doormats forever. WE are a small state, we have to out recruit the oppositiion.

"Questionable"

Do you realize other teams have busts too?

NU had the third or fourth best attrition rate coming into this season. The 4th or so attrition adjusted talent ranking (neck and neck with MSU and the only team with a significant lead was Ohio St).

I'm so tired of the misinformation.

Go look at the classes, instead of just proffering your opinion. I know you hate facts but you can't alter them. The ratings are skewed because they do not back out the busts and transfers after they occur. Do your homework instead just offering up lame opinions about other schools.

Did anyone think Bubba was going to give up millions to play at Nebraska?

So many links have been posted that show (a) NU's initial classes were great, and (b) even in light of attrition and other "busts," NU's talent rankings remain in the top 1/3 of the B10 (and closely tied with all in that 1/3, except OSU).

I could keep posting those links, but what's the point? you're convinced and will never change your mind from the narrative you've adopted to justify the firing of yet another .700+ win coach at Nebraska.

• Fire 1