Eichorst says contract extension is premature/irrelevant

I respect that a lot.

I believe him when he said that he was undecided about firing Bo up until the last minute and therefore do not think he was out to get or sabotage Bo or was hired to be the hatchetman.

Then why was he not giving interviews and hanging out in locker rooms after wins before?

Maybe he took Bo's lesson to heart.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/2015/eichorst-says-possible-contract-extension-is-premature-irrelevant/article_30c87d46-9262-589e-8aff-343fc880393b.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Nebraska athletic director Shawn Eichorst said he’s respectfully asked Chancellor Harvey Perlman to cease discussing the contract of the athletic director or any possible extensions.

It’s not the time or place,” Eichorst said. “The focus needs to be on our kids, on our coaches, on our staff and on our fan base, and I’m 100 percent committed to that. I’m good with where I’m at from an employment perspective, because I know we’re doing great things in the organization.

Eichorst earned a little respect from me after this article. Glad he told Perlman to pipe down

Eichorst is at least smart enough to know that Perlman won't be able to shield him in a few months, so better to cozy up to the fans now and save his bacon by saying the right things instead of really being screwed when Harvey is done.

Solid PR move by Eichorst. Still wouldn't shock me if an extension gets done after football season ends....especially if it ends favorably. I guess I don't see how Eichorst would be 'royally screwed' once Perlman leaves if he signs an extension. All he would be doing is increasing his buyout if he gets wacked early.

I'm not ready to hoist a cup of cheer for Eichorst just yet. When dealing with a lawyer and PR man you need to parse out the exact quote. Asking Perlman to stop discussions of a contract discussion can mean more than one thing. It can simply mean stop publicly discussing the contract extension, not cancelling it. If Perlman decides to lay it on him anyway, he still gets the "humble servant" applause from fanbase, while also reaping the benefits for not questioning the decisions of his superior.

Maybe I'm being too skeptical but he's got a history of making statements that are "fuzzy around the edges". Once bitten, twice shy. :dunno

I respect that a lot.

I believe him when he said that he was undecided about firing Bo up until the last minute and therefore do not think he was out to get or sabotage Bo or was hired to be the hatchetman.

Then why was he not giving interviews and hanging out in locker rooms after wins before?

Maybe he took Bo's lesson to heart.

Because Bo is Bo. I find it hard to believe Bo was welcoming and even wanted him around, despite the sh#t he spewed at the meeting. SE seems to have gotten along fine with another coach named Steve Spurrier.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/2015/eichorst-says-possible-contract-extension-is-premature-irrelevant/article_30c87d46-9262-589e-8aff-343fc880393b.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Nebraska athletic director Shawn Eichorst said he’s respectfully asked Chancellor Harvey Perlman to cease discussing the contract of the athletic director or any possible extensions.

It’s not the time or place,” Eichorst said. “The focus needs to be on our kids, on our coaches, on our staff and on our fan base, and I’m 100 percent committed to that. I’m good with where I’m at from an employment perspective, because I know we’re doing great things in the organization.

Eichorst earned a little respect from me after this article. Glad he told Perlman to pipe down

Eichorst is at least smart enough to know that Perlman won't be able to shield him in a few months, so better to cozy up to the fans now and save his bacon by saying the right things instead of really being screwed when Harvey is done.

Solid PR move by Eichorst. Still wouldn't shock me if an extension gets done after football season ends....especially if it ends favorably. I guess I don't see how Eichorst would be 'royally screwed' once Perlman leaves if he signs an extension. All he would be doing is increasing his buyout if he gets wacked early.

No, what I'm saying is that it would be better for Eichorst to cozy up to his successors and get an extension from them so he has approval from Harvey's successor (read: someone not named Harvey Perlman that matters). An extension from Harvey, at this point, may inadvertently be a kiss of death, as it would rally those already opposed to Harvey against Eichorst and make Eichorst an extension of Harvey's instead of his own man.

Wish he'd created this atmosphere for the team last year and the year before.

Don't think for a second that this move on the contract issue isn't in response to pressure from above Perly.

Exactly. I could not agree more.

You need to post more.

(not that your posts are especially profound -- I just like looking at your avatar...)

I second this emotion.

I would prefer the incoming chancellor deal with SE's extension. I also hope the next chancellor gives a rat's @ss about football.

The chancellor doesn't need to give a rat's ass about football if he has a trusted AD. Football, and athletics, are not the most important thing for the University.

we have a winner!

• Fire 1

I would prefer the incoming chancellor deal with SE's extension. I also hope the next chancellor gives a rat's @ss about football.

The chancellor doesn't need to give a rat's ass about football if he has a trusted AD. Football, and athletics, are not the most important thing for the University.

They're one of the most important things... $