Michigan St Game: What Did We Learn?

MSU was maybe a little overrated.

I've always hated this type of bullsh#t. Usually it's been from other teams' fans. Said team beats a highly ranked team, then said team's fans chant "Overrated." Takes away from the win, doesn't it? If said team was able to beat them, they must have sucked anyway. So said team probably sucks too.

Sorry, but that's idiotic. We beat a good top ten team. They were #7. Behind several undefeated teams. They were likely where they should have been. Nebraska did a good job by beating them.

Sometimes, I think you can make an argument about a team being overrated, but it's usually best after they've had multiple games to prove themselves. USC would be one of those, for a recent example. They started off the season ranked #1 either last year or the year before and it didn't take long to see this was far from the case.

That said, with MSU this season, I don't think it's fair to say they've been that overrated. How many teams can we reasonably say are without a doubt better? It's all subjective. They were undefeated, and even though they haven't wowed anyone, they've taken care of business. This was a really good win for Nebraska in just about every way you can slice it.

I understand the argument that MSU was overrated because of their close wins against lesser teams this year. But they are a solid program, and that's the difference. This wasn't a one-year flash-in-the-pan ranking. MSU is something like 30-3 in the last three years, with wins over some very good teams. Their only losses in that span are to CFP teams Oregon and Ohio State last year, Notre Dame (#20 final AP ranking) the year before, and now Nebraska this year. MSU is for real.

Stated in the game thread but it was brought up here. Newby was in the game at the goal line because we were in hurry up mode on the drive and newby is the best back for when you know you need to pass. We got down to the two and we're still in hurry up mode with 3 Wrs and 1 te so we would need to sub in a bunch of players to get the goal line set in. I liked the play calls even with newby.

Nice try but no.

We got a first down on a pass to Morgan at the one. Then ran a play and there was a substitution penalty on Michigan State so it was still first down and we had plenty of time to sub but didn't and still ran Newby up the middle. Then we hurried up and ran Newby into the middle again.

I agree with Mav. I understand the thinking, but Newby should not have been in there. No way, No how.

I learned that the Huskers are a way better team when they get chunks of yards on first down. Seemed like a lot of 6 yard gains or so that turned into 2nd and 4, or 3 or 5. They did well playing in front of the chains with Imani seeing most of the plays.

• Fire 1