Penalty Improvements

Red Five

Saw a similar breakdown on another board and thought I would dig in a little deeper. There has been a big reduction in penalties called on Nebraska as the season has progressed.

BYU - 12 penalties for 90 yards

So Alabama - 7/80

Miami - 12/98

So Miss - 12/98

Illinois - 6/42

Wisconsin - 9/89

Minnesota - 2/25

Northwestern - 6/64

Purdue - 7/40

Michigan St - 5/55

Rutgers - 2/15

Looking at monthly averages:

September - 10.8 penalties/game for 91.5 yards/game

October - 6.0 penalties/game for 52.0 yards/game

November - 3.5 penalties/game for 35.0 yards/game

• Fire 2

Credit where it's due - a nice improvement to see. Hopefully the positive trend continues.

I'm not willing to say that the penalty problem is cured, as Rileys teams are almost always highly penalized.

But it definitely is a 1 and a half game trend in the right direction. Lets hope it continues.

good point

jk

Credit where it's due - a nice improvement to see. Hopefully the positive trend continues.

I'm not willing to say that the penalty problem is cured, as Rileys teams are almost always highly penalized.

But it definitely is a 1 and a half game trend in the right direction. Lets hope it continues.

I agree. Thus I used a derivation of "hope" in my post as well.

But even over the last five games we've averaged just over 4 penalties per game. That's a pretty good trend.

this teams been flag happy for a long time its not just a Riley thing, but agreed its getting better.

This is incorrect. Some one had posted the actual numbers (forgive me for not having them) and to the best of my recollection, since 2011 or 12 the team had been averaging around 6 penalties per game.

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/penalty-yards-per-game?date=2012-01-09

Year - PPG - YPG

2015 - 7.2 - 63.3

2014 - 5.9 - 52.5

2013 - 6.1 - 53.6

2012 - 6.9 - 57.2

2011 - 7.9 - 54.6

2010 - 7.1 - 72.8

NU has mostly sat in the 90's and 100's for ranking over this time frame. As a reference Navy wins this almost every year at 3.5 PPG or 29 YPG.

this teams been flag happy for a long time its not just a Riley thing, but agreed its getting better.

This is incorrect. Some one had posted the actual numbers (forgive me for not having them) and to the best of my recollection, since 2011 or 12 the team had been averaging around 6 penalties per game.

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/penalty-yards-per-game?date=2012-01-09

Year - PPG - YPG

2015 - 7.2 - 63.3

2014 - 5.9 - 52.5

2013 - 6.1 - 53.6

2012 - 6.9 - 57.2

2011 - 7.9 - 54.6

2010 - 7.1 - 72.8

NU has mostly sat in the 90's and 100's for ranking over this time frame.

So in total we are up about 1 penalty/game compared to the Pelini era.

If we only look at the last 7 games, we're averaging about 5.3 penalties/game, which is down a penalty/game from the Pelini era.

If you are saying 6 penalties per game is acceptable, then great. Over the last 7 games we have been averaging 5.29 PPG. Over the last 5 games, it's 4.4 PPG.

Good trend and improvement.

• Fire 1

Year - PPG - YPG

2015 - 7.2 - 63.3

2014 - 5.9 - 52.5

2013 - 6.1 - 53.6

2012 - 6.9 - 57.2

2011 - 7.9 - 54.6

2010 - 7.1 - 72.8

If we only look at the last 7 games, we're averaging about 5.3 penalties/game, which is down a penalty/game from the Pelini era.

Not really fair to pick out the begining games. Most teams take more penalties at the begining of the season.

If the trend continues at the start of next season, then I will buy into it is getting better.

Year - PPG - YPG

2015 - 7.2 - 63.3

2014 - 5.9 - 52.5

2013 - 6.1 - 53.6

2012 - 6.9 - 57.2

2011 - 7.9 - 54.6

2010 - 7.1 - 72.8

Not really fair to pick out the begining games. Most teams take more penalties at the begining of the season.

If the trend continues at the start of next season, then I will buy into it is getting better.

Thanks for posting that.

And no, I'm not saying that 6 per game is good. Less is better.

If you are saying 6 penalties per game is acceptable, then great. Over the last 7 games we have been averaging 5.29 PPG. Over the last 5 games, it's 4.4 PPG.

Good trend and improvement.

if you look at where Nebraska ranked nationally in penalites the last several years you will see they are flag happy. your incorrect 74

I didn't say good. I said acceptable. That's the way I took the comment in your post. Obviously, everyone shoots for zero.

And as far as getting fewer later in the year, last year's penalties in the first 6 games were 6.33. In the last 7 games, it was 5.42.

Bigger improvement this year compared to last.

Last year, we averaged 5.5 in the last 4 games. This year, in the last 4 games we have averaged 4.4. Now, we still have (hopefully) two games to go. We will see if that trend continues.

However, so far this year, we have seen improvement.