Bowl Outlook

Seems almost certain we are in. I've heard some vagueness about the 5-7 rule though. Somewhere I read the APR ranking deal somehow only applies to the very top APR teams, all of which are either in anyway, or worse than 5-7. Most places assume that the APR ranking will hold, and they'll rank the 5-7 teams by APR and take from the top until bowls are filled. I don't see how it can be otherwise, but I'm just saying what I've read in a place or two. they didn't offer an alternative to how the 5-7 teams would be picked. Bowl choice, I presume, which should favor us. Or conference affiliations, which should also put us in since I don't think the Big 10 will fill all bowls.

Is it bad that I really want a bowl game even with only 5 wins because it makes college football as a whole actually mean something? I am actually watching NW/Illinois and Wisconsin/Minnesota with interest, pulling hard for the wildcats and badgers.

Not at all. I'm doing the same thing. Just want a chance to see the Huskers again.

Also, a 5 win team has made a bowl before. In 2001 North Texas made the New Orleans bowl with a 5-6 record and lost to Colorado State 45-20. I only know that because I went to the game.

Is it bad that I really want a bowl game even with only 5 wins because it makes college football as a whole actually mean something? I am actually watching NW/Illinois and Wisconsin/Minnesota with interest, pulling hard for the wildcats and badgers.

Not at all. I'm doing the same thing. Just want a chance to see the Huskers again.

Also, a 5 win team has made a bowl before. In 2001 North Texas made the New Orleans bowl with a 5-6 record and lost to Colorado State 45-20. I only know that because I went to the game.

I had to look this up. Did not realize a 5 win team had made a bowl game before. North Texas actually won the Sun Belt that year and earned the conference's automatic bid to the New Orleans Bowl. MTSU finished 8-3 in the Sun Belt and didn't receive a bowl invite, a laughable notion in 2015 when everyone finishing .500 or higher is guaranteed a bowl game.

Update: ULL, USA, Minnesota and Illinois have all lost today.

5 spots left, 3 teams left. We are now technically bowl eligible as there are no longer enough teams with 6 wins. As of now at least 2 teams will compete in a bowl with a 5-7 record.

Kansas State (4-6)- winning 45-7 vs Kansas , vs West Virginia next week.

Georgia State (5-6) - vs Georgia Southern next week

South Alabama (5-6) - vs App State next week

• Fire 2

Update: ULL, USA, Minnesota and Illinois have all lost today.

5 spots left, 3 teams left. We are now technically bowl eligible as there are no longer enough teams with 6 wins. As of now at least 2 teams will compete in a bowl with a 5-7 record.

Kansas State (4-6)- winning 45-7 vs Kansas , vs West Virginia next week.

Georgia State (5-6) - vs Georgia Southern next week

South Alabama (5-6) - vs App State next week

I'll take it. Good traveling fan base, need the practice. Good chance to visit some other areas of the country for the team.

At least two, and as many as five, 5-7 teams will be making bowl games with Minnesota and Illinois losing. I'm sure the NCAA will take this data and approve additional bowl games next year anyways.

As long as the NCAA makes money they don't care how many teams make it and what there record is (see: NCAA basketball tourney)

With that said, hopefully we will get extra practice and I'm praying for a New Orleans Bowl invite

At least two, and as many as five, 5-7 teams will be making bowl games with Minnesota and Illinois losing. I'm sure the NCAA will take this data and approve additional bowl games next year anyways.

As long as the NCAA makes money they don't care how many teams make it and what there record is (see: NCAA basketball tourney)

With that said, hopefully we will get extra practice and I'm praying for a New Orleans Bowl invite

NCAA Basketball Tournament is not a good example. Conference champions and the best 30-35 teams who didn't win their conference to make a 68 team field (out of around 350) is different than a ton of 6-6 and even 5-7 teams helping to build a 80 team field (out of 128). If they were continuously pumped more and more air into the basketball tournament I would agree, but it has been 64-68 teams for over 30 years.