Chatelain: Huskers stuck in the 90's

The hole opened to the left and Jordan Canzeri didn’t hesitate. Sixty-eight yards down the Nebraska sideline. Seven more points. The defining moment in a teeth-chattering, soul-crushing day for Husker fans.

When ABC went to commercial, Memorial Stadium fans were greeted by a familiar play on the big screen. Fourth quarter. Sept. 4, 1999. Nebraska leading Iowa 35-0. Eric Crouch darting around left end at Iowa, running over a tackler and into the end zone.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/chatelain-iowa-win-proves-it-nebraska-is-stuck-in-the/article_d3ff8120-956d-11e5-8a74-eb2bf607f19f.html

• Fire 1

If you think using Eric Crouch trucking an Iowa DB is evidence of "being stuck in the 90s" then I have a bridge to sell you.

I get that people are pissed that we lost a bunch of games this year, but let's recognize the pandering for what it is.

"Now Iowa is the hammer." Are you kidding me? They played a weak-ass schedule and beat Nebraska only - ONLY - because Tommy gifted them with four interceptions.

You people absolutely do not remember what Nebraska was in the 1990s if you think this Iowa team is "the Hammer."

• Fire 7

If you think using Eric Crouch trucking an Iowa DB is evidence of "being stuck in the 90s" then I have a bridge to sell you.

I get that people are pissed that we lost a bunch of games this year, but let's recognize the pandering for what it is.

"Now Iowa is the hammer." Are you kidding me? They played a weak-ass schedule and beat Nebraska only - ONLY - because Tommy gifted them with four interceptions.

You people absolutely do not remember what Nebraska was in the 1990s if you think this Iowa team is "the Hammer."

The narrative that Iowa only won because of Tommy's INT's is flat out wrong. A good team caused mistakes from the other team. That pick 6 was a very good/great play by the d-end. He shed a poor Lewis block, tipped the ball up with one hand, and made an athletic catch. The INT on Tommy's deep pass in the 3rd quarter was a great read by the DB on that side. He realized no one was in his zone so he went to the center of the field to help double team the deep pass.

Not every mistake is solely the fault of the team making the mistake. Good teams cause the other team to screw up. The Iowa defense played well enough against the run, so Langahan decided to turn to the pass to move the offense. Iowa knows NU will make more mistakes in the passing game. That is a good team creating mistakes.

• Fire 3

The point I took away is the fact that NU has a dusty trophy case since the 90's yet, us husker fans alike scream and shout how great our program is...when teams like Iowa are achieving what we think we are.

Iowa's weak ass schedule....pfft. Weak cuz of why? Playing in the same division as Nebraska?

They are 12-0, and if the roles were reversed, everyone on here would be SCREAMING about how it's so tough in this day and age to go unbeaten blah blah blah....

It's amazing how fans want to pick out one sentence and totally ignore the rest of the article. Dirk isn't saying that 2015 Iowa is '95 Nebraska. However their style of play is very similar.

Don't NU fans want the team to play smarter football with fewer turnovers and penalties. Don't NU fans want a defense that can create turnovers in key junctures of the game? Don't NU fans want a team that takes advantage of the field position game?

The point I took away is the fact that NU has a dusty trophy case since the 90's yet, us husker fans alike scream and shout how great our program is...when teams like Iowa are achieving what we think we are.

Iowa's weak ass schedule....pfft. Weak cuz of why? Playing in the same division as Nebraska?

They are 12-0, and if the roles were reversed, everyone on here would be SCREAMING about how it's so tough in this day and age to go unbeaten blah blah blah....

Yep!

Can I get an Amen??? Amen!!!