Chatelain: Huskers stuck in the 90's

That's what I saw....an Iowa team that didn't look like anything special but maintained their positions, sitting back and waiting for Tommy to throw up a jump ball exactly like he did 50 times on film and looking for a defect in our defense to exploit. You guys do realize that our offense got twice as many yards as theirs? We've had no ball control all year.

If you think using Eric Crouch trucking an Iowa DB is evidence of "being stuck in the 90s" then I have a bridge to sell you.

I get that people are pissed that we lost a bunch of games this year, but let's recognize the pandering for what it is.

"Now Iowa is the hammer." Are you kidding me? They played a weak-ass schedule and beat Nebraska only - ONLY - because Tommy gifted them with four interceptions.

You people absolutely do not remember what Nebraska was in the 1990s if you think this Iowa team is "the Hammer."

+1

I know Husker fans don't like reading these types of articles from the biggest newspaper in the state, but is Dirk wrong in the article?

Are people just upset with the comment of "being stuck in the 90s"?

I'm not upset by the comment "stuck in the 90's" I'm tired of hearing it. I'm not. Maybe the fan base as a whole is, but it's a delicate balance, you don't want to create a culture where you previous players and tradition aren't welcome (Pederson/Callahan) and you don't want to over trumpet the past either.

Iowa is a fundamentally sound football team. I've watched three coaching staffs in a row struggle with penalties and losing the turnover margin and think "can this even be fixed?"

If you think using Eric Crouch trucking an Iowa DB is evidence of "being stuck in the 90s" then I have a bridge to sell you.

I get that people are pissed that we lost a bunch of games this year, but let's recognize the pandering for what it is.

"Now Iowa is the hammer." Are you kidding me? They played a weak-ass schedule and beat Nebraska only - ONLY - because Tommy gifted them with four interceptions.

You people absolutely do not remember what Nebraska was in the 1990s if you think this Iowa team is "the Hammer."

The narrative that Iowa only won because of Tommy's INT's is flat out wrong. A good team caused mistakes from the other team. That pick 6 was a very good/great play by the d-end. He shed a poor Lewis block, tipped the ball up with one hand, and made an athletic catch. The INT on Tommy's deep pass in the 3rd quarter was a great read by the DB on that side. He realized no one was in his zone so he went to the center of the field to help double team the deep pass.

Not every mistake is solely the fault of the team making the mistake. Good teams cause the other team to screw up. The Iowa defense played well enough against the run, so Langahan decided to turn to the pass to move the offense. Iowa knows NU will make more mistakes in the passing game. That is a good team creating mistakes.

I don't think Iowa caused those mistakes, really the only mistake Iowa caused was the pick 6 (which was still a good play call, from a subjective standpoint).

Iowa is 12-0, and 12 consecutive wins is impressive no matter which way you look at it. There were times in that game yesterday where you thought Nebraska was going to take control and then Tommy would either throw a pick or Jordan Canzeri (an underrated RB, imo) would gash the defense for 60 yards. Bad teams make those kind of mistakes and good teams capitalize on those mistakes. Iowa did, and has done that for 12 straight games.

Yeah, they didn't play Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, or Michigan State during the regular season. But they'll (probably) play Michigan State in the CCG, and we'll get a good look at how they fare against their first Top 10 opponent they'll face this season.

As far as what Iowa will do next year, who knows? They could repeat and have a similar kind of season or they could go back to their 7-6 ways. It's a hard team to get a read on. Same thing with Nebraska, we could have a really good season next year or we could have a very similar season as we did this year.

I think it's interesting that OWH changed the headline, pulled this article from their FB posts.

Iowa is a solid football team, but I don't think they're good enough to consistently beat anyone in the top 10. That said, emotion can take you a lot of places. I'm probably the only one who thinks we couldn't replicate what we did in the '95 Fiesta Bowl, if it were played the next day (by replicate, I mean the 'blow out', not necessarily a 'win'). There was a LOT of media criticism going into that game, "3 yards in a cloud of dust", kind of stuff. That, I do think mirrors some of what Iowa is experiencing this year, in terms of respect. I think Nebraska used that to fuel an amazing 60 minutes of football (actually, just a half, Florida clearly gave up by that point, the second half was just an exhibition, including 'the run').

So, given that ongoing lack of respect, I don't doubt that Iowa could win the B1G title game. I'm just not sure they can go beyond that, might be a huge embarrassment for the conference on New Year's Eve.

This Iowa team would lose by 5 plus TDs to the 95 team....not even exaggerating

That would be in the first half!

Yes, it is true that players are 'bigger, stronger, etc." today that twenty years ago (my God has it really been twenty years since the '95 team roamed the plains?) but this year's Iowa team would have NO chance against that team. Frankly, the '95 team could win the national title again this year. I am not sure there is a team in the country that could play within 21 points of the greatest team of all. I would dare say the second string of the '95 team would beat this Iowa team. That tells you how the talent has been so spread out across the incredibly high number of teams in the country. Nobody truly has a 'great' team anymore. That is why Nebraska can go 5-7 and be in every game nearly to the end. That was unheard of two decades ago generally. Now days, anybody can upset anybody because the talent differential is really quite low.

The point I took away is the fact that NU has a dusty trophy case since the 90's yet, us husker fans alike scream and shout how great our program is...when teams like Iowa are achieving what we think we are.

Iowa's weak ass schedule....pfft. Weak cuz of why? Playing in the same division as Nebraska?

They are 12-0, and if the roles were reversed, everyone on here would be SCREAMING about how it's so tough in this day and age to go unbeaten blah blah blah....

No we wouldn't. 2001 is case in point. We're a smart enough fan base to know when we're not the real deal and don't belong. Iowa is going to get rolled, either in Indy or if they make it to the playoffs. We just as easily could have gone undefeated this year with a weak ass schedule, oddly we were close to doing it...

The point I took away is the fact that NU has a dusty trophy case since the 90's yet, us husker fans alike scream and shout how great our program is...when teams like Iowa are achieving what we think we are.

Iowa's weak ass schedule....pfft. Weak cuz of why? Playing in the same division as Nebraska?

They are 12-0, and if the roles were reversed, everyone on here would be SCREAMING about how it's so tough in this day and age to go unbeaten blah blah blah....

No we wouldn't. 2001 is case in point. We're a smart enough fan base to know when we're not the real deal and don't belong. Iowa is going to get rolled, either in Indy or if they make it to the playoffs. We just as easily could have gone undefeated this year with a weak ass schedule, oddly we were close to doing it...
How exactly is 5-7 "close to undefeated"?

How exactly is 5-7 "close to undefeated"?
This shouldn't need explaining. 4 games tied or leading with 11 seconds left in the game. Gifted a game to Iowa. 6 games a combined 28 points. The only gane we weren't in was Turdue.